View Talay 7 - Your Thoughts about It?

henrik2000

Hello,  

what do you think about the Jomtien condo building View Talay 7? How does it compare (value for money) to other buildings in Pattaya, Thailand, Philippines or Costa Rica etc

- building-quality wise 

- clientele wise 

- management wise 

- fees-wise?

I just stayed in View Talay 7 a few days as a tourist, and except for short stays in Bangkok and Manila, I have no experience with condo buildings anywhere (but can see that VT7 was designed to sell at lower prices). So I wonder what the seasoned expat thinks about View Talay 7 (I'm not in the market for a pad).

There were a few minor things that astonished me in View Talay 7, but from a tourist point of view:

1 - the condo door does not lock itself automatically; you always have to lock the door manually by key from outside or with a turning knob from inside 

2 - you can't reach the inner light switch while standing outside. It's not next to the inner door wall, but you have to walk a few steps into the corridor before you can turn on even the corridor light

3 - the balcony window has a very nice and intact sliding mosquito screen, so you can create a breeze inside; even some beach bungalows in Thailand (not to mention the condos I know) had no screens, so you had to keep everything sealed at all times and fight the heat with ac

4 - My neighbor forced his condo door open to create cross-ventilation for long hours (no smell). When I did this once in a Manila condo, security politely but firmly told me this was not allowed by house rules. Asked for the reason, he said again, "house rules, sir"

5 - Meeting inmates in lifts and corridors, some greet, are chatty even and offer shopping advice or life stories (long ones); but the majority works hard to look away 

6 - View Talay 7 has direct beach access, but there is no foot bath or shower to clean yourself when returning to the condo. You pass by the swimming pool area, but it's very inconvenient to just clean your feet there when you come from the beach

7 - View Talay 7 has a floor 13. In several other Thai condos and hotels I had seen floor 12, and then 12a or 14 and 14a, but no 13. I saw the avoidance of floor number 13 even in a very posh Thai-oriented condo building in Nonthaburi 

Thanks for all your insights! 

PS. About about the cross-ventilation with an open door, I find that slightly inconvenient and dangerous. If I stayed there long time, I would like to build a variable grille into the condo door that allows me to create the desired amount of cross-ventilation without encouraging unwanted visitors. Would that be allowed by house rules?

• Like 1

My partner and I owned there a number of years ago.  Good location.  We had a beautiful ocean and shore view from our high floor 48 sqm studio condo, which we divided and made into a junior 1 bedroom.   Limited, reserved garage parking--we rented a space from someone that owned one of the garage spaces and wasn't using it.   Very limited amenities.   No gym, etc.  The pool seemed too small for the number of units but fortunately the whole back of the building was mostly unsold when we were there.   When we hit Pattaya in 2010 there were not that many seaview condo choices and View Talay was one of the big players.  Plenty of choices these days.  

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 11:09 AM, scubascuba3 said:

The cross ventilation front door mosquito doors are usually against condo rules, stupid but that's how it is here. Have a look at other condos see if anyone has done it, if so give it a go, maybe don't ask the office

Well to install a proper grille, I guess you would have to take out the door and maybe take it to a workshop? That would be most inconvenient and revealing, even if the workshop provides a temporary replacement door.

Would be so good if the regular door already had a grille, also I appreciate a homogeneous look. Don't know if all that cross-ventilation would create a tornado in the corridor.

Edited by henrik2000

1 hour ago, henrik2000 said:

Well to install a proper grille, I guess you would have to take out the door and maybe take it to a workshop? That would be most inconvenient and revealing, even if the workshop provides a temporary replacement door.

Would be so good if the regular door already had a grille, also I appreciate a homogeneous look. Don't know if all that cross-ventilation would create a tornado in the corridor.

I have one, my normal condo door, then a chrome mosquito door, looks pretty good. I found a good place that makes them made to measure, down soi nern plub wan, 7k, some other place wanted 14k for the same, falang price.

They are great for air flow, for me usually from front door and out the balcony, when the front door is shut you can feel warm quickly so definitely worth having one fitted subject to being able to

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

No-one is allowed to change their front door in my condo, and I assume this applies to most condo's as the whole point is to keep the places looking the same (this is the same as my Aussie apartment as well).

Also as the OP is a renter to suggest he just do it without approaching management is so wrong (poor owner having their condo illegally modified without any permission)

Leaving your door wide open is also not allowed in my condo. I live in a pretty soundproof condo never hearing neighbours but as soon as someone's door is open the TV/stereo sounds flood the whole corridor (no problem if not making noise). I assume a grill cut in the door would have a less but similar sound problem?

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 11:00 AM, newnative said:

My partner and I owned there a number of years ago.  Good location.  We had a beautiful ocean and shore view from our high floor 48 sqm studio condo, which we divided and made into a junior 1 bedroom.   Limited, reserved garage parking--we rented a space from someone that owned one of the garage spaces and wasn't using it.   Very limited amenities.   No gym, etc.  The pool seemed too small for the number of units but fortunately the whole back of the building was mostly unsold when we were there.   When we hit Pattaya in 2010 there were not that many seaview condo choices and View Talay was one of the big players.  Plenty of choices these days.  

Sometimes wondering why the back wings are still empty - do you have any idea?

Must be some regulatory/legal reason as otherwise does not make sense to keep empty for years. Effectively about half of the units in the building not in use, not sure if sold but no lights ever in side wings.

12 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Must be some regulatory/legal reason as otherwise does not make sense to keep empty for years. Effectively about half of the units in the building not in use, not sure if sold but no lights ever in side wings.

Maybe the 49/51% foriegner/Thai ownership rule? Have they sold too many to foriegners and no Thai interested to buy the rest?

14 minutes ago, mran66 said:

A lot of unsold condos generally because foreign quota is full

Hello all, thanks for interesting input. Honestly I didn't even think about the noise aspect when I talked about putting a grille into the door.

I am just a holiday renter in View Talay 7, and I have no plan of course to change anything,  especially not the door construction I was just interested why nobody has it. It's most useful and most of the time I see my neighbor's door forced open with a chair and I can see him lounging inside. Considering the energy crisis that we have in Europe at least - but maybe Thai people don't have it, from eyesight I think they are unfazed -, cross-ventilation via a variable mosquito door would be the thing to have, instead of running the aircon all the time. The draft might give some people a cold, not sure

7 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

That's great. Did they remove the condo door for some time?

The condo door stays fitted as normal, the mosquito door attaches on frame, very common in Pattaya and yes means little AC required, but depends on condo probably, outside my front door it's open planned with sea air coming in, higher floors have enclose design so no sea air so maybe little air flow

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mran66 said:

I'm not sure why.  I think some of the back units have been sold, here and there.  When we lived there we saw air con units on some of the balconies.   We looked at buying one of the floor-thru interior back units.  If I remember, it was very long with a high kitchen window by the back entrance and a set of balcony doors at the front end looking towards the ocean.   The space was large but we thought awkward and the lack of windows was a drawback for us.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The condo door stays fitted as normal, the mosquito door attaches on frame, very common in Pattaya and yes means little AC required

Thanks.

The lack of natural ventilation in hot country housings is a pet peeve of mine. I'm glad to hear that you do the sensible thing here and that it is possible at least somewhere.

2 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

Thanks.

The lack of natural ventilation in hot country housings is a pet peeve of mine. I'm glad to hear that you do the sensible thing here and that it is possible at least somewhere.

Have you thought about turning on the aircon, you know the exact thing they are designed for ????

41 minutes ago, newnative said:

I'm not sure why.  I think some of the back units have been sold, here and there.  When we lived there we saw air con units on some of the balconies.   We looked at buying one of the floor-thru interior back units.  If I remember, it was very long with a high kitchen window by the back entrance and a set of balcony doors at the front end looking towards the ocean.   The space was large but we thought awkward and the lack of windows was a drawback for us. 

Okay... You remember if the price vs the main wing were off in value? Anyway something strange must be behind of the empty wings as for a  developer hard to understand why not sell at market price. Also, wonder how they count or not count towards maintenance fees. 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

A lot of unsold condos generally because foreign quota is full

Sure... But this one is strange as the whole back wings are black, yet the main wing is occupied. And I do not believr in coincidences... I doubt because of foreign quota, rather a regulatory or legal reason of some kind would explain. Just curious. 

6 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Sure... But this one is strange as the whole back wings are black, yet the main wing is occupied. And I do not believr in coincidences... I doubt because of foreign quota, rather a regulatory or legal reason of some kind would explain. Just curious. 

you maybe right, ask their condo office, say you'll interested in buying there 

Edited by scubascuba3

8 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Okay... You remember if the price vs the main wing were off in value? Anyway something strange must be behind of the empty wings as for a  developer hard to understand why not sell at market price. Also, wonder how they count or not count towards maintenance fees. 

Sorry, can't remember.  What we looked at was an empty shell so it needed everything.  I think this concept has become less popular with buyers--most of the new condos come fully fitted and some are fully furnished, as well.

13 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Have you thought about turning on the aircon, you know the exact thing they are designed for ????

Not everyone likes AC and if you have balcony doors or windows open you can't have AC on. Those condos without decent airflow either have AC on all the time or are just hot and stuffy, best avoided

• 1 month later...

In ViewTalay 7, anybody can use the lifts without a key card or any other measure. So any beach bum easily reaches the 20th floor and your outer doorstep. 

Is that the case in other Jomtien buildings as well? I only know one other condo building in Bangkok, which is generally posher, where you need a magnetic card to use a lift.

11 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

In ViewTalay 7, anybody can use the lifts without a key card or any other measure. So any beach bum easily reaches the 20th floor and your outer doorstep. 

Is that the case in other Jomtien buildings as well? I only know one other condo building in Bangkok, which is generally posher, where you need a magnetic card to use a lift.

Certainly true of a few other View Talays I have been in in Jomtien. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 3:50 PM, mran66 said:

I actually looked at a condo to rent there a few months ago.  The owner had 2, both in the front arm facing the sea.  The one I looked at was on the North (or Pattaya) side.  His renter had swapped and now lived on the opposite side.  He literally "baked" from the sun from sunrise to noon or later.  Same problem with the other two "wings".  They bake all morning or all afternoon depending on the floor level.  Almost all seaside units were empty in the north wing from what I could see when I went there.  The side I was looking at, according to the owner, didn't get sun until late afternoon.  I was quite nice and a great view.  Floor 18.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2022 at 5:34 PM, scubascuba3 said:

you maybe right, ask their condo office, say you'll interested in buying there 

They were built as a deliberate ghost wing with minimum embellishments so that they could register a much larger foreign qouta than they would be able to do otherwise which when they were built with less projects were the golden spot of buyers. Strange but true and what a waste of resources.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1