Are there any 3 or 4 wheel small electric vehicles LEGAL for driving on roads here…?

mikey88

Just wondering….

Thinking of something just to get around the local small sois.

May not be feasible or legal…..

Anyone know the actual facts re these small vehicles…

Are they road legal and able to be registered……..?

as i had explained to me by my Thai insurance agent--as i have an electric cart--Thai road regs say only properly registered and insured vehicles may use public road ways--as electric carts, typically, cannot be "plated" by the DLT--they cannot be registered nor insured, so technically, they are not supposed to be driven on public roadways.

Now, as has been indicated, one can see all sorts of Thai road regs ignored, so it is easy to think that "what the heck", I will do that also--and often, there are few problems--however, were there to be an accident, resulting in property or personal injury--especially, farang to Thai---then, you will see that there will be interest in who was at fault and who violated the regs.  So, as with so many other things here, for farang expats, you undertake things are your own risk--and to point to the fact that we all see so many Thai drivers ignoring so many aspects of driving regs really won't be much of a defense in case of any serious accident.

Further doubt, then talk to your own insurance agent, if you have one for ur other vehicles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SammyJ said:

as i had explained to me by my Thai insurance agent--as i have an electric cart--Thai road regs say only properly registered and insured vehicles may use public road ways-

So no bicycles allowed, yeh right.

Depends on who you ask, example

Looked at an electric quad bike for round town, the shop assured me there would be no problem in getting it "plated" then insured.  An RTP "traffic police officer" that I knew who spoke good English (so no language problems) said no way would they be "plated" as they are classed as agriculture vehicles and not for use on the public roads. 

Who do you believe - a shop that wants to sell it (make money), or somebody that can fine you (make money) for using it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, actonion said:

Waht's legal, and what's not,  is up to the Boy in Brown on  that particular day is what i have experienced 

Ability to be registered & tagged, would be my definition of legal.

IF done, does limit the BIB options ????

IF not ... oh well

1 reason I have a DECO motorcycle (reg/tagged).

Also why I don't pass PoPo when out & about on my e-bike, which will easily do 40+kph, and unreg/tagged.  Keep around 25 kph / pedal speed, and it's a DIY, so frame & brakes weren't made for 40 kph.

Edited by KhunLA

22 hours ago, Dante99 said:

i was just sharing what my Thai insurance told me--bicycles are not powered vehicles--but you

may have seen in the local Thai news that recently the police fined a farang who had been riding his bike, not on the side of the road, as most bikers do, but out among the traffic.

Do as you wish!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, actonion said:

Waht's legal, and what's not,  is up to the Boy in Brown on  that particular day is what i have experienced 

probably true in most cases, but if there was any serious personal injury or property damage done, it's likely the police, under pressure from the Thai family injured would not be fast and loose with the road rules to overlook the violations.  So, as i had shared, as with most things here--be informed, and then proceed as you wish knowing the risk involved.

(and, btw, do remember, for those who have lived in Thailand for very long, in the case of a motor accident of any kind, not always, but often, the farang, even if not in the wrong, IS in the wrong)

On 11/26/2022 at 9:37 PM, mikey88 said:

Just wondering….

Thinking of something just to get around the local small sois.

These 3 wheelers on sale at Big C (and HomePro) would do the job. However, from Sammy J’s findings it seems they may not be road legal.

I would like to get one for the same purpose as you, getting around locally but with the occasional jaunt further afield.

I

83B38D9A-0B8B-4B60-9A13-D52892F9A799.jpeg

41 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

As for the foreigner being at fault in the case of a mishap: The accident would not have happened if the foreigner had stayed in his home country, and for that reason, he's the one who is to blame.

May I ask where you get this idea from ?

On the subject of three wheel electric vehicles try Lazada, some are available or find a motorcycle garage that converts 2 wheel to 3, I have seen several on the road over the years.

john  

On 11/26/2022 at 6:29 PM, SammyJ said:

so many Thai drivers ignoring so many aspects of driving regs really won't be much of a defense in case of any serious accident.

It is not a defense in any country in the World. Just because others are violating rules does not mean I am also entitled to do so. 

Edited by Onerak

11 hours ago, Onerak said:

It is not a defense in any country in the World. Just because others are violating rules does not mean I am also entitled to do so. 

i agree 100%--and it is correct here, having lived in various places around Thailand for over 20 years, that often Thai drivers etc flaunt the road rules--but, as u said, one should do their best to follow them--that said, i do hear many expats friends that think they don't have to do so--well, if one has lived here long, you know of accidents where the farang was in great trouble. 

Maybe some remember the older tourist in the last year or so, who was on a rented motorbike, i think, but managed to hit an elderly Thai man who stepped out in the road--the Thai man subsequently died, and the family wanted large compensation (well beyond what the minimum mandatory pays)--the farang had no private insurance--he was charged, had passport taken, ankle bracelet attached, and was asking for anyone to help him raise money so he could pay the family and leave the country.  Yes, rare example, but there are typically, many smaller cases, that still can cause complications, especially if you plan to live here.

Another tip, of course, if you have a car or motorbike--get additional private insurance--it is not that expensive and can be a lifesaver in a serious situation.  Too many have been told not to worry about, because you get the mandatory insurance when your register that vehicle annually--not enough!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jonwilly said:

May I ask where you get this idea from ?

On the subject of three wheel electric vehicles try Lazada, some are available or find a motorcycle garage that converts 2 wheel to 3, I have seen several on the road over the years.

john  

Yes, I agree--if converting an already registered and plated and insured (at least to the minimum)--from two wheels to three, is allowed--but electric carts, scooters, are not able to be registered--now, full blown, full size electric cars--tesla style, or its imitators from China, etc, am assuming, they can be registered, etc, but i have not seen one, but hard to say, i assume they are about somewhere??

11 hours ago, SammyJ said:

Another tip, of course, if you have a car or motorbike--get additional private insurance--it is not that expensive and can be a lifesaver in a serious situation.  Too many have been told not to worry about, because you get the mandatory insurance when your register that vehicle annually--not enough!

Agree. I use Bolt for all my transportation inside Thailand and cost me less than 3K per month. I have a bike that I only drive in the back alleys to go to 7/11, laundry and Rompho market. Never crossed it on the 2nd road to go to beach road. I will park my motor bike in Rompho market and then walk to beach road. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2022 at 5:11 PM, FriendlyFarang said:

Afaik these are the only road legal ones: https://fomm.co.th/en/

I'd call that a 'small car'  ... along with a couple other options, in same price range, actually a bit cheaper I think, and also can be registered:

image.png.58d97df32ddb0f81ca8c1ebc6f694072.png

https://www.autofun.co.th/news/เทียบสเปคกันชัด-ๆ-pocco-mm-vs-wuling-mini-ev-เจ้าจิ๋วคันไหนครองใจคุณ-37641

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 9:34 AM, Dante99 said:
On 11/27/2022 at 7:29 AM, SammyJ said:

as i had explained to me by my Thai insurance agent--as i have an electric cart--Thai road regs say only properly registered and insured vehicles may use public road ways-

Different classification of vehicles.  You're not suggesting that all bicycles are illegal if used on the roads, are you?