Attorney Experienced in Hospital issues?

dddave

OP, just an observation, but it appears you have a problem (mostly) with a US insurance company, the company that provided the insurance. I doubt a Thai attorney would have the knowledge or jurisdiction to deal with an insurance company outside Thailand.

Wouldn't it make more sense to engage an attorney in the country where the insurance is based/issued. And where the insured usually lives.

Its not a thai insurance policy, I presume its not a Thai company. If the insurance company will only reimburse the insured, then its not really anything to do with the hospital, and I presume any reimbursement will be in the US, in $US etc. The terms/conditions/payments etc, would all come under US law.

The only thing a local attorney could do would be the local hospital documents.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is far from unusual for a patient to be unconscious and insurance co policy will have provision for that. 

To my understanding under US law when a patient cannot make their own decisions and there is no Health Care Power of Attorney the authority for medical decisions reverts to the next of kin.  The problem here may be in obtaining documentation of the patient's condition i.e. that he is comatose. I gather the hospital has so far failed to respond to requests for information from the insurer.

Please keep responses limited to the requested  suggestions for legal help in Thailand. Pattaya based lawyer bring preferrable.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, just an observation, but it appears you have a problem (mostly) with a US insurance company, the company that provided the insurance. I doubt a Thai attorney would have the knowledge or jurisdiction to deal with an insurance company outside Thailand.

Wouldn't it make more sense to engage an attorney in the country where the insurance is based/issued. And where the insured usually lives.

Its not a thai insurance policy, I presume its not a Thai company. If the insurance company will only reimburse the insured, then its not really anything to do with the hospital, and I presume any reimbursement will be in the US, in $US etc. The terms/conditions/payments etc, would all come under US law.

The only thing a local attorney could do would be the local hospital documents.

"The hospital is basically holding him hostage, refusing to provide certain documents required by the insurance company to transfer him to a more capable hospital. "

Very much an issue with the hospital.

Any insurance company, Thai or international, will require medical documentation before paying a hospital or authorizing a transfer to another hospital.

The hospital OP's friend is in (actually a first tier government hospital, not second tier) has refused to provide this documentation and refused (or failed) to respond to questions from the insurance company doctor.

If nothing else a local lawyer might be able to get them to release the patient's records to the family and/or insurer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Things don't work like this.

Sheryl says, he is in a government hospital. Goverment hospitals only accept cash. They don't work with international travel insurance. 

You are not going to change this. Pay cash.

You want to transfer the patient to a more capable hospital? 

To another government hospital?  In this case,  that's a decision between the 2 hospitals.  You can politely ask them, but you don't have the power to change their decision. 

If you want to transfer the patient to a private hospital like BPH or Bumrungrad: 

The government hospital he is in now will not provide the documentation a foreign insurance wants.  That's normal.  Contact the private destination hospital (they will make millions of Baht from this patient); talk to their supervisor. They will handle the government hospital. They will organize the transfer and put it on the bill for the insurance (they will want a guarantee of payment from the insurance before the transfer - of course,  you can always pay the transfer cash and claim it later)

The insurance probably works with a local assistance company,  eg April Assistance. A good assistance company can handle the government hospital (they may have to send staff to the government hospital). Most are not good. 

If you know the destination hospital,  you can PM me, I might be able to help you with contact details.

• Thanks 1