are Taxi fares going through the roof in Pattaya

zedzz

On 11/28/2022 at 10:51 PM, aussiexpat said:

"after we finished in Central i said to the wife lets try and dodge the traffic and get a taxi to Soi Buchow so the wife asked a taxi at the rank on second road. 400 baht i thought she was joking but no that is what they wanted for basically 5 mins in a taxi"

Soi Bukhao is the next street over from 2nd road where you were, so definitely not a 5 min taxi ride (lucky to be 4-5 min walk).

Why would anyone need a taxi to go one block? They probably thought you were crazy so charged a crazy price

seems that some think it is no more than 5 mins in a taxi from central to soi buahkowon a day when 2nd road and side streets around 2nd road  were total gridlock....it was tough that day to even walk from central to soi buahkaow due to gridlock...i do it every day and have never seen it so busy or congested....but certainly you could walk faster than a taxi could drive assuming you could even get through which in many places was not easy with cars and motorbikes and peds blocking the roads and sidewalks....and of course the taxi driver likely knows that if you get in and he sits and sits you may well get out and leave him sitting empty in gridlock traffic....so maybe realize you are  not talking of "basically five mins in a taxi" ...overall on normal days in pattaya the baht buses and bolt and even most taxis provide fantastic value and will haul you around for dirt cheap prices......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, actonion said:

My experience  was  different , my hotel was   in Slough, a local town to  Heathrow   the driver does/ did not activate the meter  because slough  is outside of the M25 ,, And no i have never been a London Cab dive,r i choose to work  for a living lol

Ahhhh !! There YOU Have it....Local Hotels around Heathrow are those INSIDE the M25 Area for London Cabs,As you say you stayed in Slough which is NOT & Would be a FIXED Fare which the driver would've told You & He Would NOT Have engaged the Meter as It was UP2U YOU to AGREE Before starting the Journey....I Hope YOU Understand that now....

Try taking a London Black Cab off the rank at Heathrow  to a local Heathrow Hotel,  also a small journey,    they will charge u  the  same fare as   it costs to  go  into London,    NO It Isn't ....FYI.....Even at the top of 35 US$ I Reckon You would only pay Approx 28 Pounds .....30 With a Tip ....555 !!.

1. Results
  2. Taxi

Heathrow to Slough

12mUS$28 - US$3513.7 km

Journey overview

HeathrowHeathrow, England

12m13.7 km

SloughSlough, England

Find hotels in SloughRooms from US$60 on 

Pricing information

Expect to pay:US$28 - US$35

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Added

4 hours ago, actonion said:

And why not compare  Heathrow with  Pattaya, both cities  have a Taxi driver's  trying to  earn a living, and Baht bus taxis if that's what the op is talking about, dont have meters  as im sure u  know

Err because one is an airport the other isn't......

Both are not cities.

Both do not have baht busses.

What nonsense some come up with in an attempt to justify earlier nonsense..it's called digging deeper.

• Like 1

"Central i said to the wife lets try and dodge the traffic and get a taxi to Soi Buchow

so the wife asked a taxi at the rank on second road. 400 baht i thought she was joking but no that is what

they wanted for basically 5 mins in a taxi"

Is your wife Thai or a foreigner? I'm guessing a foreigner as a Thai would know better than to use a taxi rank on 2nd Rd. It's a no-brainer that one of the Apps are the way to go.

"as she ordered a taxi to Don Mueng Airport from Pattaya 1800--  2000 "

And to go to BKK, it should be common knowledge for a Thai to flag down a BKK taxi, not go through a taxi mafia and negotiate the fare with the driver directly. Would've only been around 1k to Don Meung.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 9:10 AM, actonion said:

My experience  was  different , my hotel was   in Slough, a local town to  Heathrow   the driver does/ did not activate the meter  because slough  is outside of the M25 ,, And no i have never been a London Cab dive,r i choose to work  for a living lol

That Last Bit is VERY Cheeky....I Used to Work ( Sitting on My Backside) Driving a Cab in Liverpool,Used to Have to work 7 Days a Week with 12 Hour Shifts,Now THAT is WORK You Cheeky Git !!!

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Added

On 11/28/2022 at 2:01 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Those 2nd road taxis have always been a rip off, they look for gullible tourists

Xmas Day, Second Road. How much Pattaya to Nana? 1500 Baht. Okay, let's go. 

I've been paying that same price for the last 10 years! ????

• Haha 2

On 11/30/2022 at 6:44 AM, JayClay said:

But, no, let's have a dig at him for being lazy. 

Just the crowd who cover up cheapness by claiming they are keeping fit and active. And turning up at destinations sweaty, scruffy and smelling off their best!

On 11/28/2022 at 10:52 PM, hioctane said:

If you must use a taxi, don't ask how much. Ask them to turn on the meter. If they refuse, get out. They are more likely to turn on the meter during the day than at night. That said I always use rideshare, Grab or Bolt. Bolt is cheaper. Tip.. Don't request the ride at a taxi stop or area with lots of taxis! Walk further down and maybe to a side Soi before you request. Taxi mafia is real and rideshare drivers get threatened. Drivers will drive right on by if they see a lot of taxis.

my friend don't you know TIT

On 11/28/2022 at 10:52 PM, hioctane said:

If you must use a taxi, don't ask how much. Ask them to turn on the meter. If they refuse, get out. They are more likely to turn on the meter during the day than at night. That said I always use rideshare, Grab or Bolt. Bolt is cheaper. Tip.. Don't request the ride at a taxi stop or area with lots of taxis! Walk further down and maybe to a side Soi before you request. Taxi mafia is real and rideshare drivers get threatened. Drivers will drive right on by if they see a lot of taxis.

Pattaya taxis don't use meters. Period.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 6:02 PM, scubascuba3 said:

2017 1000 baht Mr T

the likes of Mr T has long gone i have had one driver  who was called by  condo security was supposed to pick us up later.....no chance i mentioned it to him {security}, he just shrugged not interested, like now his odd 100 baht tip has gone never to be seen again.

. i now only use cabs that are known...or are recommended by friends.

all this seems to of been escalated in the last year or so as the good drivers  got the lions share of the graft like Mr T but there seems to be another scammer crowd have took over.

phone  grab/Bolt/.all busy get a Baht bus i have noticed they have been really packed on the busy days......about 16 years ago i handed a baht bus driver 100 baht and he hit the gas like a shot....i have never tried that again. 

"after we finished in Central i said to the wife lets try and dodge the traffic and get a taxi to Soi Buchow

off.....10 minutes walk from Central to soi Buk

Soi Bukhao is the next street over from 2nd road where you were, so definitely not a 5 min taxi ride (lucky to be 4-5 min walk)

seems that some think it is no more than 5 mins in a taxi from central to soi buahkowon a day when 2nd road"

This above is from different posters. I think Soi Bukkow should be renamed to something that is easier to remember ???? Perhaps in Soi Buakhao ????????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, treetops said:

When did this happen?  I made a booking as recently as September 2022 with Mr T.

Well perhaps MrT is still in business. I heard Mr Toom died, but thought his son was carrying on. Not been flying in and out for a while now. 

Like many other places around the world where expat are migrating to stay there, Pattaya and other places in Thailand has it's good and bad experiences, and that vlog at the start really deals with the low to very low end of 'expats' who insist on staying in Thailand event ought they can effort it o complain about, so to those guys/gals i would say, yes, if you experience is that Pattaya/Thailand become too expensive for you that by all means, leave...

On 1/1/2023 at 6:35 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

It would have pretty much happened already without mafia, sorry, government interference.

The Thai mafia and Thai government have a difficult time understanding that they can't demand "tea money" from an internet platform that is not based in Thailand.  ???? 

• Like 1