How military-backed parties have ruled Thai politics for decades

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2022-11-28T124146.088.png

Thailand’s modern political history is littered with examples of parties set up, led or supported by governing military figures to serve as a democratic vehicle to legitimize their stay in power.

The current ruling Palang Pracharath Party was described as one of these “pro-military” parties when it was established in March 2018, just a year before the 2019 general election, although virtually all of its top executives were civilians.

The party was led by former ministers from the post-coup government of Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, and it later nominated him as its sole prime minister candidate for the 2019 election. At that time, Prayut was heading the junta-led administration formed after the military coup that he led in May 2014.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/how-military-backed-parties-have-ruled-thai-politics-for-decades/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The army is one of the most toxic and backwards institutions in Thailand. I just don't see how they benefit the nation. Seems like a one-way street. The army sucks the blood of society, vacuums huge amounts of money from the treasury, and what do they offer the nation in return? 

To us Foreigners, it seems like the military is corrupt.  Unfortunately, too many of the older Thais, the military, is looked at as the saviour of the country.  I think with today's youth, that is changing, BUT the challenge is to get the people to elect a government that is not 

Putting someone in power that has no business or political knowledge or track record.

the young people need to start voting in groups that are larger than the older wealthy crowd,

Last the party coming in must forget those that have been exiled and just concentrate on running the country properly and with transparency.

Also get rid of party list MP's  This removes the extra wasted bodies and makes the people running responsible to the people that voted them in not beholding to the person that appointed them and made them rich.

LAST THING TO STOP MILITARY RULE

Quit overthrowing the government with protests.  That is how the military keeps getting its nose in the door.  If you do not like a party, fine, protest but then wait for an election to remove them.

12 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

To us Foreigners, it seems like the military is corrupt.  Unfortunately, too many of the older Thais, the military, is looked at as the saviour of the country.  I think with today's youth, that is changing, BUT the challenge is to get the people to elect a government that is not 

Putting someone in power that has no business or political knowledge or track record.

the young people need to start voting in groups that are larger than the older wealthy crowd,

Last the party coming in must forget those that have been exiled and just concentrate on running the country properly and with transparency.

Also get rid of party list MP's  This removes the extra wasted bodies and makes the people running responsible to the people that voted them in not beholding to the person that appointed them and made them rich.

LAST THING TO STOP MILITARY RULE

Quit overthrowing the government with protests.  That is how the military keeps getting its nose in the door.  If you do not like a party, fine, protest but then wait for an election to remove them.

Young Thai should watch the "Vietnam war" documentary series for inspiration. Western countries would have to open their borders though.

Edited by Boomer6969

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

Unfortunately that is Thailand all over. 

Jobs for incompetent and lazy mates to gain face. Jobs for less qualified and experienced Thai individuals because the boss doesn't like foreigners. I've seen it all here.

Company I used to work for was taken over by another bigger company (I won't be naming names but many of you will know it), and a new Chairman was installed. The Chairman (another crony) grew on the back of the very competent, young Western manager, but eventually wanted to replace the Western manager with his mate, a local Thai, with no relevant skills, experience or knowledge about the industry or products the company was producing. This was possibly due to the Chairman being xenophobic, the two clashing over the direction of the company and strategy, or most likely, a combination of both.

Eventually the Chairman's ego got out of control and he made it untenable for the young manager to stay so the manager left. Shortly after the young manager departed the problems started to appear; dissatisfaction from the line staff having to be managed by someone who was arrogant and incompetent, failing compliance audits, HSE being ignored, discipline out of control, equipment and maintenance failures etc. 

Shortly after losing its best asset the company started a slow decline into eventual insolvency and closure.

It eventually closed a couple of years later putting 50 Thais out of work. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The army is one of the most toxic and backwards institutions in Thailand. I just don't see how they benefit the nation. Seems like a one way street. The army sucks the blood of society, vacuums huge amounts of money from the treasury, and what do they offer the nation in return? 

Submarines and fighter jets ! 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The party was led by former ministers from the post-coup government of Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, and it later nominated him as its sole prime minister candidate for the 2019 election.

The people should elect the PM.. not the party.

7 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Before my first trip to Thailand in 1979 I did a lot of reading on the country, its people and its political system. What I am witnessing today is precisely what was reported 43 years ago. The country hasn't moved one iota.

The worst is that it seems the Thais are proud of it, it makes them different, hence better, and after all they still call themselves "Free people".

I disagree about no movement. However, I think the movement has been backwards. Thailand used to be well regarded. And they used to be the tiger of SE Asia. Now, they have been reduced to a whiny, sickly alley cat, begging for scraps.

Blame it on the army. They are perhaps the second most regressive force in the nation.  

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 4:29 PM, snoop1130 said:

The party was led by former ministers from the post-coup government of Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, and it later nominated him as its sole prime minister candidate for the 2019 election. At that time, Prayut was heading the junta-led administration formed after the military coup that he led in May 2014.

this is all talked about like it was some normal process that happens in dozens of countries around the globe. then you actually look at it and realize that the ringling brothers have been running the show almost as long as back in america. 

the whole system and process is a total joke.  election ? good grief i have finally read it all. 

13 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Before my first trip to Thailand in 1979 I did a lot of reading on the country, its people and its political system. What I am witnessing today is precisely what was reported 43 years ago. The country hasn't moved one iota.

The worst is that it seems the Thais are proud of it, it makes them different, hence better, and after all they still call themselves "Free people".

Some Thais may be proud of it, but the election of non-military parties under the only real constitution the country has ever had suggests the majority don't. The military staged their putsches because they just couldn't stand losing power and the associated threat to their revenue streams..

Most are just hoping to avoid a repeat of 1992. The reason Prayut and these others have to twist and turn and rewrite constitutions and things is because they wouldn't stand a chance on a level playing field.

• Like 1

It seems all in Thailand relevant political parties have strong connection to "interests". Maybe military, maybe other rich and powerful groups.

I don't think there is any party from the people for the people.

Some super rich businessmen pretend they are in politics because they have such a good heart, and they want to help the poor and downtrodden. As far as I see it that is just BS. It brings them some votes from the uneducated masses. That's the only reason why they pretend to feel that connection.

14 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I have told my Thai wife numerous times, the difference between Viet Nam and Thailand, is one country calls itself a communist regime and extremely proud of it while the other likes to think of itself as a " democracy".  Peel the layers away and you soon realize that both countries are run by former military men who pretend to be politicians, any opposing political group is put down or disparaged from running, less than 5% of the population controls pretty much everything and in VN case, only 200k citizens are allowed in the exclusive Communist Party which is basically a carte blanche card to do whatever you want without impunity. 

I can go on and on. You get the picture.  

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

This is Thailand and how it is owned and run.

It is not a democratic free country run for the people.

Precisely!! the voting mechanism in place in LOS is basically an exercise in futility. All for optics for the sheeps and outside world. 

• Like 1