Favipiravir

Hamus Yaigh

Out the country at moment, but Thai wife saying this month they are recommending Favipiravir for those suffering COVID as was she earlier in month? She said it costs so much she opted to go without and the COVID passed in a couple of weeks or more by itself but she felt pretty ill throughout and is fully vacinated.

Does Favipiravir help at all? Where to buy? Whats the cost? Any other choices, besides roughing it out with nothing but paracetamol?

Edited by Hamus Yaigh

I was given Favipiravir while I was in quarantine, my illness lasted 3 days, no after-effects. I was back exercising after 5 days. I am in the most vulnerable age cohort.

I can't say whether it worked or not. The hospital x'rayed my lungs on admission, said I had congestion typical of COVID. A week later, I was clear.

30 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I was given Favipiravir while I was in quarantine, my illness lasted 3 days, no after-effects. I was back exercising after 5 days. I am in the most vulnerable age cohort.

I can't say whether it worked or not. The hospital x'rayed my lungs on admission, said I had congestion typical of COVID. A week later, I was clear.

If you were in quarantine, this was in the bad old days before the vaccines leveled the playing field?

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If you were in quarantine, this was in the bad old days before the vaccines leveled the playing field?

I got COVID after Sinovac and AZ jabs. October 2021. I am not one of the morons who claims that proves vaccines don't work.

My GF was in quarantine with me. She refused vaccination after social media posts from said morons.

My illness lasted 3 days. Sore throat, runny nose. She is 23 years younger than me, had the full gamut of symptoms including nausea, loss of taste and smell, fever etc. She was really sick for ten days. QED.

What baffles me about anti-vaxxers is their vocal opposition to COVID vaccines. At the same time, they probably have jabs for polio, tetanus, typhoid - a whole raft of inoculations. What's the difference?

Vaccines work, but in this era of constant misinformation on social media truth takes a beating.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

Just keep taking all of the mRNA boosters as soon as they are available. CDC states to take the bivalent booster 2 months after an initial series which everyone had last year.  It looks like Moderna is recommending a booster every 5 months due to rapidly waning efficacy.  So to stay safe it looks like you'll need those mRNA boosters every 5 to 6 months as those shots may not keep you from contracting Covid (the CDC director Rochelle P. Walensky is fully vaccinated and boosted but has contracted Covid twice), but the shots are proven to keep you from dying in the hospital like the unvaccinated who end up expiring on a ventilator in huge numbers as is well known as well as infecting large numbers of people unlike the vaccinated..  So if you can't afford the expensive antivirals, then save up for the mRNA boosters.  Perhaps Thailand will keep providing them for free although Forbes says that Pfizer shots may increase to $110 to $130 per shot next year.  A small price to pay to stay safe when their antivirals are out of your price range.  So keep getting those boosters every 5 or 6 months to stay safe is does seem.  Listen to the experts in the CDC and the WHO who have nothing but the best interests of humanity in their hearts.  Better than dying on a ventilator which will happen to most of those dirty unvaccinated superspreaders. 
Safe and effective - keep those mRNA shots up to date.