Japan is the number one destination for Thais

webfact

6 minutes ago, proton said:

SIL used to go to Japan at least twice a year, load up with cosmetics etc to sell back home. Used to pay the airfare

Before the 'rona, vid all the airports here had electronics shops opening branches to sell appliances to CHinese tourists- rice cookers, etc.  Plus the aforementioned cosmetics, as well as baby food, condiments.... it was a wonder that any flights back to the Middle Kingdom even got off the ground with the amount of stuff the passengers were carrying. 

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Pipawin Sodprasert, Manager of Visa in Thailand, said, “The recent pandemic has caused cumulative demand among Thai tourists. After being unable to travel the world for a long time And when many countries have opened their borders again We therefore want to study more deeply the behavior. and the changing needs of Thai tourists to explore this uncertain world again.”

From my observations most Thais don't know anything of the outside world..

in fact my friends daughter didn't even understand time zones and that if it's midday in Thailand and the sun is shining it must be dark on the other side of the world..

I had to draw her a sketch to prove the sun cannot be in the east and west at the same time.

• Like 1

yes sure,,, I always tell my partner not to believe the Thai news as it is made to show how good everything is going in Thailand, but the reality is different as my partner always tell me too many people complain and don't have money, while on the internet they are telling that Japenese tourist can't come to Thailand as there are no seats available in the planes..... who want to hear such a rubbish???? 

Japan is nice yes but now winter, in spring with the blossoms it is better to visit, so surely fake news now 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:18 PM, RichardColeman said:

I mean seriously, If you had that view would you want to go to Thailand ? 

image.png

Yep. Looks like the view from Gotemba. Nice place to stay if you enjoy skiing on Fuji.

Air fares have more than doubled since last time I visited in 2019, so not sure how many Thais are actually visiting Japan, as opposed to it being a "most desired" destination described in the OP.  Pretty misleading storyline, tbh..

I can understand why. Thailand seems very chaotic, whilst Japan is very ordered. Even natural beauty is ordered in Japan, see Bonsai. It's like the ideal many people would like to see in their lives. The fact it's a stagnating, dying, society seems to escape their notice

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting that Thais would choose to visit the country that finally colonised them in the '40's, despite apparently Thais being so proud of never being colonised.

One thing Japan does very well, is keeping their citizens completely ignorant of their real history, including that of the Second World War, a trait that is evidently shared by the Thai education system.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Interesting that Thais would choose to visit the country that finally colonised them in the '40's, despite apparently Thais being so proud of never being colonised.

One thing Japan does very well, is keeping their citizens completely ignorant of their real history, including that of the Second World War, a trait that is evidently shared by the Thai education system.

Speaking as someone who has lived here for more than 20 years, I would have to say that you are wrong.  People are very aware of history and are generally averse to repeating it. 

The one weak point in their historical education is concerning the atomic bombings. They have a certain political need to portray them selves as victims of an unnecessary barbaric act.  

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

I have visited Japan twice.  I would think that travel to Japan would be too costly for most Thais.  As the rest of the countries mentioned in the article. 

Travelling ANYWHERE would be too costly for most Thais, even domestically.  However for those with enough jingle in their jeans, I understand why Japan is a good destination. A completely opposite country in many ways, from geography to weather to general cultural norms. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Speaking as someone who has lived here for more than 20 years, I would have to say that you are wrong.  People are very aware of history and are generally averse to repeating it. 

The one weak point in their historical education is concerning the atomic bombings. They have a certain political need to portray them selves as victims of an unnecessary barbaric act.  

Really?

What Japanese history lessons leave out

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21226068

Japan's struggle with history
As the nation marks the 72nd anniversary of its surrender at the end of World War II, there are still many here who insist that Japan acted honorably throughout the conflict. Julian Ryall reports from Tokyo.

https://www.dw.com/en/japans-nationalist-school-books-teach-a-different-view-of-history/a-40092325

• Thanks 1