The weather totally sucks

I have been living with my wife on Phuket for 6 months/year since 2008, right by the sea.

After our return from Europe on October 10th this year I don't see any particular changes - maybe a little more rain than before at this time.

The temperatures are as always between about 26-28 degrees at night and about 30-31 degrees during the day.

However, we live 'very far down' in Rawai. It may be a little different further up on Phuket and especially further away from the sea.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, garrya said:

Down the south the rainy season is literally 10 months long. February seems to be the only rain-free month. Last year it had rained until the middle of Jan.

It sucks. 

There are two seasons down here, the rainy and the less rainy seasons. ???? Temperature is high. Never dips below 24 even at night 

I like the weather in Hat Yai, it's never cold and it's never unbearable hot, we always have a good breeze from the coast during the hottest months and evenings can be pleasantly cool. Yes we only have a short dry season, January to April, with February being the best month. Followed by a small wet season from May to September, which varies depending on the strength of the NW monsoon. Finally we get the NE monsoon from October to December, with November being the wettest month and the month we most often get flooding. Personally I like the variety of weather in Hat Yai, and I've been here seventeen years now, I like the monsoon, even though we were flooded out in 2010.

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

Some people complain about the weather, some complain about the women, some complain about the beer, and some even complain about the ladyboys whine whine whine and more whine you jsy cannot make some people happy

Some folks are only happy when they're complaining. 

11 minutes ago, Stocky said:

even though we were flooded out in 2010.

Not just 2010 - about every 10 years that city seems to go under water - I was there just after the 2000 floods where water was above level of parked cars - still remember the smell of (dried out) share taxi rides.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I like the weather in Hat Yai, it's never cold and it's never unbearable hot, we always have a good breeze from the coast during the hottest months and evenings can be pleasantly cool. Yes we only have a short dry season, January to April, with February being the best month. Followed by a small wet season from May to September, which varies depending on the strength of the NW monsoon. Finally we get the NE monsoon from October to December, with November being the wettest month and the month we most often get flooding. Personally I like the variety of weather in Hat Yai, and I've been here seventeen years now, I like the monsoon, even though we were flooded out in 2010.

Some folks are only happy when they're complaining. 

That breeze I have been looking for for the last 10 years. Couldn't experience here. Dead calm almost every day. 

On another note, I think people have the right to express their opinions and feelings. This attitude of dissing people who we disagree with just shows nobody is better than others. Why do people moan about people who moan about things.... ????????

Mindboggling. This is why the world is becoming an unliveable place. 

Better to exaggerate when it comes to liking something than saying honestly what we observe, experience and feel.

I made a mistake listening to people who had drawn "a fantastic" picture of Thailand but it turned out exactly the opposite of what I have experienced. 

Have a nice day

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yes. It is called climate change - - did you not get the memo?

We're actually in an La Niña event which is cyclical, and normal. There's a mysterious object recently found in space... it's named the Sun, and is the major overriding factor in Earths weather; To those that have not read the news, the Sun is going through a very active stage currently, as well as throwing off very heavy plasma bursts recently, and those from time/time hit our planet causing all kinds of things.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Does seem unusually hot, humid and wet in Bangkok and Pattaya areas this year, compared with other years. Don't mind the 30s C, but would be nice for some lower humidity. Soon, surely

Hot - no. Wet - yes.

One of the wettest years I can remember - at least some rain every month. The SW monsoon was weak but there was much more rain from the east, early and late in the "rainy" season. Average temperatures were cooler, with hardy a "hot" season in April/May. Some scientists say that this is due to a very rare ‘triple-dip’ La Nina, now in a third rear. Makes sense to me. See what happens next year before you all up and off to Malaga.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/un-weather-agency-predicts-rare-triple-dip-la-nina-in-2022/ 

• Love It 1

15 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not just 2010 - about every 10 years that city seems to go under water - I was there just after the 2000 floods where water was above level of parked cars - still remember the smell of (dried out) share taxi rides.

Yes, but 2010 was the first, and only time, our house has flooded. We had a meter of water in the house for a week. Thankfully the western relief canal is complete and Hat Yai hasn't had a bad flood since.

• Like 1

Seasonal change is nice to experience. We do every year and it makes retuning home to LOS a greater joy. I love the tropical weather, helps keep me supple n slim.

Mind you the island its not as stinking as BKK and up north east during the dry season.

I practice an 'attitude of gratitude' and do my best to see how wonderful it is to be alive to be inconvenienced in my Great Master Plans haha ???? to be bothered by weather.

Near death experiences tend to do that for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 8:12 AM, Henryford said:

Spain is pretty cold in winter. 8 degrees in Madrid now. Welcome to that. I would rather have the odd shower and a warm winter.

Yes, that is because Madrid is the second highest capital city in Europe in altitude at over 2,000 feet, twice as high as Chiang Mai,

I think most of those who choose to live in Spain go the southern areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Stocky said:

You won't see it, but you can feel it, especially January through to April.

Feel nothing but dead calm 300 days a year and rain, rain as well and also some rain, moreover a bit of a rain and finally, some rain. Clothes won't dry, towels won't dry, mould growing etc.

But I'm glad someone likes it. 

Been monitoring the breeze since your post, yet I couldn't find it.

I may live in a parallel universe.

????

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stocky said:

Yes, but 2010 was the first, and only time, our house has flooded. We had a meter of water in the house for a week. Thankfully the western relief canal is complete and Hat Yai hasn't had a bad flood since.

That flood was the result of poor maintenance of canals. Heads had fallen and got moved to other places. 

You could see that all canals were full of weed, rubbish etc. 

Since then, the new administration has taken decisive actions, and that's why floods stand no chance around Hat Yai.

Had a flight from Bangkok to Hat Yai on the day of that huge flood and wanted to change destination to another airport in the south. However,  according to AirAsia staff, there was no reason to worry as flights could land with no problems at all. I pointed at the TV screen right next to this genius AirAsia staff to show you it was live on TV that Hat Yai was under metres deep water. 

Then she thought she needed to figure out if we had a case for changing destination. 

Lol. 

Just to add more, we paid 2.5k for the flight change to Krabi. Upon enquiring as to why it was expensive, we were told the flight was almost full so tickets were expensive. The reality was that the flight was 30% occupied 

And the last twist was that our original Hat Yai flight was scrapped eventually and AirAsia, as usual, didn't give a ....... to apologize or compensate us somehow.

Edit: added more info

Edited by garrya
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, garrya said:

Had a flight from Bangkok to Hat Yai on the day of that huge flood and wanted to change destination to another airport in the south.

We were in Singapore and had the same thing with Tiger Airways, Hat Yai Airport was open so the flight was going ahead. We knew we'd need a boat to reach the house, so booked a flight to Bangkok and waited until the flood water subsided before flying back to Hat Yai.

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Maybe Spain has a Mediterranean climate, whilst Thailand is tropical. Thus the difference?

Anyone who doesn't like a tropical climate maybe should consider that before visiting/staying?

Trying out something for days or weeks may not give you the answers.

For instance, I thought I could tolerate everything and I can get used to things over time. However, it's exactly the opposite.

As years pass by, I feel more and more impatient and intolerant to what my surroundings offer in Thailand. After 10 extensions, that gets funnier year by year, many rainy years, worsening attitude on roads, more mai pen rai, more and more empty promises, I getting to my wit's end. 

To sum up, short time won't give you the real and full picture as problems will present themselves over time.

27 minutes ago, garrya said:

After 10 extensions, that gets funnier year by year, many rainy years, worsening attitude on roads, more mai pen rai, more and more empty promises, I getting to my wit's end. 

To sum up, short time won't give you the real and full picture as problems will present themselves over time.

As they do anywhere....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2022 at 8:44 AM, Pitak Chirachat said:

. I live here 34 years. I remember the blue sky and dry seasons with no rain at all. This year the rainy season started early May and is still ongoing. We were lucky to spend 3 months in summer traveling through several Mediterranean countries. The weather is awful since we returned late August. 2 weeks ago we were in Khao Lak. I believe it was raining every day.

If you've lived here 34 years you really should know that it is peak monsoon season in southern Thailand in November.

On 12/1/2022 at 8:21 AM, bob smith said:

i agree. weather is rubbish in Thailand. anyone who thinks different is kidding themselves. 

You're the one kidding yourself.  What constitutes "good" weather is individual and subjective.

My wife feels cold when the temperatures drop below 26C (room temperature). As for me, I prefer rainy and overcast days as the weather is not so hot. I dislike hot and sunny days... which means I've been quite pleased about the weather over the last few months. Of course, when the sun does come out, the humidity rises.

Back in 2020, at the start of covid, we had a serious drought, when the water levels in the dams was critically low. We're lucky there were no tourists around at that time.

Bottom line - good weather for one person is bad for another. All countries have unseasonable weather periods. It happens - get over it. You can't change it.