The weather totally sucks

been like it a while
i dont want to post a link only to have comment removed
but search thailand indonesia weather modification deal

"Thailand’s Department of Royal Rain-making and Agricultural Aviation ( DRRAA ) and Indonesia’s Agency for the Assessment and Application of Technology signed a three year weather modification agreement affective from now until March 16, 2024.

The agreement is in compliance with the DRAAA’s 20 year action plan on weather modification specifically on the expansion of cooperation and partnerships with foreign agencies and networks."

Thailand also signed a weather modification research deal with china which i can link
i only found out about this when looking to see if any reason the weather has been so poor over the past year

Edited by patman30
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Down the south the rainy season is literally 10 months long. February seems to be the only rain-free month. Last year it had rained until the middle of Jan.

It sucks. 

There are two seasons down here, the rainy and the less rainy seasons. ???? Temperature is high. Never dips below 24 even at night 

• Like 1

Why would someone live in a country, when they can't seem to tolerate the weather ?  Especially as a expat.  Options abound ... 200+ countries/sovereign states.

I wouldn't live here if weather bothered me.  Avoided many areas to retire, because of the weather.  Whether half the year, or even sporadically extreme at times;

FL / Caribbean ... hurricane season

Lower SW-mid USA ... tornado alley

Canada & upper USA ... brutal winters

Well, maybe there is more of a scientific answer to the current unusual weather patterns in Asia / Thailand

La Niña has persisted for some time and is predicated not to end until early next year.

WMO predicts first “triple-dip” La Niña of the century.

https://reliefweb.int/report/world/el-ninola-nina-update-august-2022

5 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Yes, agree! I like Spain but prefer Portugal. Benidorm and Costa del Sol are preferable with the Canary Islands even more so. Lisbon doesn't usually get below 15C in Winter. However, one Christmas I stayed in Nazare. For two days we were strongly advised NOT to go outside. After the gales and torrential rain had subsided, I noticed most road signs were blown over almost flat and awnings had been torn off shops, rubbish of all sorts everywhere. 

Nazare, big wave surfers!

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Certainly is! Great Atlantic coastline and very attractive and interesting towns in the region too. 

Saw a brilliant documentary about an American living in Hawaii, was a big wave surfer, went to Nazare, incredible footage!

Edited by roo860
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, Henryford said:

Spain is pretty cold in winter. 8 degrees in Madrid now. Welcome to that. I would rather have the odd shower and a warm winter.

the bloke is going to SOUTHERN SPAIN.  Nowhere near Madrid

I assume you have never lived in Spain?

I lived there for many years, SOUTHERN SPAIN, and the bloke is correct...the weather is much better than Thailand.

If it wasnt for Brexit, I would still be there now........with trips to Thailand during the good weather season.........whenever that is going to be nowadays.....

• Thanks 1

I live at a little over 3000 ft above sea level.The long rainy season has been fabulous...if you're not a rice farmer.

It's only gets above 30 when we have a day with several hours of sun usually with cloud cover between 

25 and 27and the nights are around 17

Yeah the towels could dry quicker...but the garden has been fantastic and we save about 400 baht not a month not having to water. Although when In Chiang Mai the humidity with the heat is a bit much.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

Rubbish !! Pattaya has an average daytime temp of 30-33 C all year round with virtually no rain Dec - March.

I've lived here in Pattaya for 16 years. Last year was not much of a winter and I have a feeling that this year is going to be the same. There hasn't been much dry/cool weather so far.

• Thanks 1

In Chiang Mai there's not been much rain last couple of weeks, at least not in our amphur (Chaiprakarn). Perhaps during rainy season in Chon Buri it's a good idea to temporarily relocate if you can afford it and if the weather bothers you so much?

I only lived in 2016 in Chon Buri, but I kinda liked the occasionally heavy rain pouring. Usually it lasted for only a short time, say half and hour and then it'd be gone. Made the air nice cool just after the rain. No idea if the rain you're experiencing now is different (e.g. pouring all day or something like that).

8 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Oh well,I didn't mean Madrid but something like Alicante,Malaga or maybe Canary Islands.Places like that the weather is predictable,but Canary Islands is pretty pricey

My Sister lives in Alicante. Her husband is always posting videos of torrential rain and severe flooding. The weather is changing for the worse everywhere it seems.

Can you even go to Spain to retire now or do you need a visa?

21 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Some people complain about the weather, some complain about the women, some complain about the beer, and some even complain about the ladyboys whine whine whine and more whine you jsy cannot make some people happy

Definitely entitled to whine about the lack of decent cheap wine!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Denim said:

To be fair , I never heard an ex pat say the weather was nice here. Maybe tourists think it is but if you live here you see it for what it is. Never used to be this bad. In the old days the cool season was actually cold even in Bangkok. Jacket needed at night time. In the villages hoar frost and icy puddles in the morning. 

Nearest you can get to that these days is a frosty whore in Pattaya.

That being the case... Watch out for Snowballs....

• Haha 1