Key card access card for condo building with copy protection. Does it exist?

Does anyone know if there is a place or business in Bangkok that is selling a building access card system where the access/key cards cannot be copied?

From practically all buildings I tried so far the access cards can be easily copied just anywhere in any mall in Bangkok. So there is absolutely no control about how many people have access cards.

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Key cards are available with many security levels.

Obviously high security is more expensive.

But does it really work? We have such a system in my condominium, and it happens often that people who "forgot" their card just walk through with somebody else. And mostly the security does nothing.

I guess that is also the case in many other buildings.

High security cards won't change that.

You are absolutely right. I just wanted to know about some alternatives. They exist but lazy security or general carelessness would render alternatives useless.

Knowing this I wonder what the real benefits of a security guard are? Anyone can get into the building anytime. Not stopped by anyone. So? Or what is the benefit of an access card system with access cards easily to copy? With no one controlling ever if copies are around?

12 minutes ago, zappalot said:

You are absolutely right. I just wanted to know about some alternatives. They exist but lazy security or general carelessness would render alternatives useless.

Knowing this I wonder what the real benefits of a security guard are? Anyone can get into the building anytime. Not stopped by anyone. So? Or what is the benefit of an access card system with access cards easily to copy? With no one controlling ever if copies are around?

They pretend they do something.

That could be a motto for a big part of Thailand... 

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Key cards are available with many security levels.

Obviously high security is more expensive.

But does it really work? We have such a system in my condominium, and it happens often that people who "forgot" their card just walk through with somebody else. And mostly the security does nothing.

I guess that is also the case in many other buildings.

High security cards won't change that.

Our old condo in downtown Bkk had a plastic card on a string, everyone was welcome to use it to open the main door.

The card disappeared from time to time. It was discovered that a 'pretty girl' who did live in the build had lost her card for her condo, so she took the card from downstairs and tried and it did open her condo door.

Security? None.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

One of the reasons people copy is condo offices charge rip off prices, mine charged 700 baht then after complaints lowered it to 300 but usually you can get them much cheaper. For my front door only 10 baht for fob on lazada

Well aware of that. Buddy lived in a condo at Phya Thai.

Various marketing organizations continuously left piles of A3 size and envelope size advertising handouts in the condo office. Each new item was pasted on the imside of the small glass doors on the office counter, each handout had a price writtn on it from 100Baht to 5 Baht.

Many owners continuously paid the price to get the new marketing handouts, especially if it was cosmetics and jeans.

Office manger was pocketing all of the payments, making a fortune.  

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Yeh forget about going to the mall. Lazada little china scanner a couple hundred baht and then fobs n cards cost nothing. 

Some people need a lot of copies because they lose them a lot.

I have a couple of those (one of my hobbies is lockpicking) & most modern condo keys can't be copied by the cheap Chinese scanners as they operate on a higher frequency.

As others have said, it's not possible to get a personal card that cannot be copied, the whole condo security infrastructure needs to be set-up so cards can't be copied (Seen this in Malaysia where each card had a unique digital signature) & even these can be copied, it just takes more work (Instead of a 1-1 copy you have to copy, tweak the data & then rewrite). 

My condo just introduced facial recognition for entry into the building (Lift & Unit access is still controlled by card, which I've not yet managed to copy), the "Hacker" in me is trying to work out how I would get around that if I had to... 

• Like 1