High drama as Aussies, Argies and Poles reach last 16 at World Cup

webfact

image.jpeg

SPONSORED BY

HEMINGWAYS PATTAYA

by Rooster | ASEAN NOW

There was high drama last night in all four World Cup fixtures as fans in Qatar and around the world were kept waiting until the final second before the latest last 16 teams were confirmed.

In the 10pm (Thai time) matches Australia edged Denmark 1-0 thanks to a goal by Leckie. 

image.jpeg

There were wild scenes in places like football mad Melbourne where fans had gathered in a public square in the middle of the night. 

Denmark surprisingly finished bottom of Group D behind Tunisia who came oh so close to the last 16 after beating a French side that had already qualified and who made six changes. 

The score was also 1-0. A Denmark and France goal could have changed everything and as the clock ticked down France had a goal ruled out for offside. 

Tunisia were left with a bittersweet victory against the world champions that meant restored pride but no further participation in the tournament. 

If this excitement was not enough it paled into insignificance behind the drama in the matches at 2am.

image.jpeg

Argentina comfortably won 2-0 against Poland who made little attempt to win the game.

Meanwhile Mexico beat Saudi Arabia 2-1. 

As the games headed for many minutes of injury time it was only the amount of yellow cards Mexico and Poland had receieved - the former had two more - that were splitting the teams.

This was the sixth criteria know as "fair play". Indeed there was a chance that the seventh criteria - a coin toss - might be needed to separate the teams.

As Mexico desperately tried to get another goal to qualify the Saudis got one. 

image.jpeg

Despite some commentators thinking that was the end for the Mexicans it in fact made no difference, a goal in the dying seconds would still have sent them through at Poland's expense based on goals scored. The Poland game finished several minutes earlier. 

But Mexico couldn't find the net again and missed out. 

Argentina and Poland qualified. 

Argentina will play Australia and Poland will meet France in the round of 16 at the upcoming weekend.

Today's action from Qatar starts with the final games in Group F at 10pm Thai time.

Already eliminated Canada meet Morocco and Croatia face Belgium.

Then at 2am in Group E Costa Rica take on Germany and Japan attempt to take down one of the tournament favorites in Spain.

Any of the seven nations could still make the last 16 if results go their way.

Neutrals will be most interested in seeing if the Germans will make it or not.

With Qatar, Iran and Saudi Arabia all out Middle Eastern interest has ended in the first World Cup ever held in the region.

Japan are more likely than South Korea, who play tomorrow against Potugal, to keep east Asian interest alive.

The BBC reported that a fan celebrating Iran's exit was shot by security forces. 

Many Iranians wanted their team to lose considering them to reflect the Islamic Republic rather than the Iranian team of the people. 

Politics and social issues continue to play a big role in this edition of the greatest show on earth. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-01

• Like 1

With Aus ranked 38th in the world and they manage to make the final 16 again will be great but would not expect them to go any further than that .

Personally i am not interested in soccer so dont really care one way or the other so i am not interested in any replies to my post as i wont be looking at them , enjoy .

Edited by keith101

2 hours ago, DezLez said:

So why did the above make the post if he/she is not interested and will not look at replies?

I was wondering that myself. Guess that we'll never know as Keith won't see our comments ????????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RayC said:

I was wondering that myself. Guess that we'll never know as Keith won't see our comments ????????

A possible troll "click bait post" without the clicks!

It great fun as we can now take the p!ss about the pr@t without him/her/it knowing!

• Haha 1