Before I complain....

13 hours ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

I'm really not keen with someone believing the earth is flat, teaching my daughter anything.

The education of a child is in the hands of the parent, they can leave it entirely up to someone else or they can take some responsibility.

Nothing new here, there has been conflicting views on many subjects in schools around the world for decades.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

I hope that by enquiring on here to get a spread of views, I am taking some responsibility.

Don't you think it would be more appropriate to teach the child something about the universe. Haven't you ever talked about the moon?

• Thumbs Up 1

There are millions of people around the world that believe all sorts of nonsense and wallow in conspiracy theories from the dark corners of the web.....it all starts with the brainwashing of kids and while most finally realize that santa and the easter bunny are not real there are untold numbers who continue to believe all sorts of fairy tales as adults.  Sad but true.

• Thanks 1

It is amazing to me how far this has got. I first came in contact with this idea through a very intelligent teacher at school. Week after week we would bring more evidence that the world wasn't flat. Week after week he came up with another counterargument. Some of us latched on (11 years old, 60+ years ago) that it was a JOKE <deleted>. He did force at least some of us to think about things for ourselves, probably started with the most outrageous statement he could think of. Much better than "if a tree falls in a lonely forest with  no one to hear, does it make a noise" 

Never mind, feeling outrage at something that is an intellectual joke is not a sign of high intellect. IT's a JOKE.

I usually get insulting replies when I post this kind of stuff...

• Like 1

In the 1960s I read this book called Morning of the Magicians.  Among the strange things mentioned was that the Nazi brain trust (the guys running Germany back when) said that we actually live on the inside surface of the planet, and that when we look "into space" we are actually looking at the frozen core, the stars we see are the crystalized ice.   I haven't ever again seen mention of this in the 50+ yrs since I read it.

When someone claims to be a flat-earther ask them that if it were possible to dig a hole for an incredible depth what would they expect there to be when they went as far as possible.  Pizza crust?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, patman30 said:

Why isn't he teaching them maths?

That would be my complaint.

He is teaching them maths and I believe his maths teaching is good but boring. He seems to have a lack of interpersonal skills and just goes through the curriculum.  My worry is what he is saying outside of his given subject

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Don't you think it would be more appropriate to teach the child something about the universe. Haven't you ever talked about the moon?

Of course I do, we also watch Discovery together. My worry is that I have no control over what a teacher is filling their heads with. I wanted to engage on here and hear others views first before I go in with both feet at the school. I think it will be a joined up complaint by us parents

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Every star and planet we can see is spherical.

The Milky Way alone has around a hundred billion stars, all spherical. There are around 2 trillion galaxies.

The Earth is the only heavenly body that is flat???????

Could be?

Remember the old adage -  "A million monkeys, each given a typewriter....."

????????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Usually after too many beers, this side of me appears - party then closes down pretty quickly.????????

• Thumbs Up 1

Our boys go to a private school.The youngest 12 came home one day and was talking about Pablo Escobar the Colombian drug lord. I asked him how he got that name, turned out his teacher was telling all the kids what a good person he is, or was. I explained to him the reality and suggested he tell his teacher she was wrong. I have heard other nonsense stuff from his teachers. They definitely don’t appear to have much of an education, or enquiring minds.

I would definitely complain about the flat earth nonsense to the head teacher. Ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, bob smith said:

doesn't surprise me. most teachers here haven't got a clue.

Talking to a Thai English teacher friend of mine, I was suddenly surprised when she said she didn't know about time zones?

• Love It 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thin crust, lava flowing out of spewing volcanoes, ring of fire, how can the Math teacher know the earth is flat unless he/she believes in just a linear approach.  Guess soccer balls are flat also...

i reckon the Janitor is 'moonlighting' as a Teacher.