Even as the baht surges, Thailand faces economic recession in mid-2023 with lower earnings

webfact

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Are you quite sure about that?

That is a very large number of MSM, social media, radio, TV, newspapers, magazines and websites in 197 countries across the whole world.

It also means that those 197 countries all agreed on a single theme which I cannot believe.

Do not feed the troll......

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, flexomike said:

dollar down, baht up that is what I would call a surge when it is almost eight percent in one month

Your "surge" is a result of rate changes in US markets - not Thailand.

Has the Baht "surged" against the Euro?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Onerak said:

Still not able to find a one-way ticket from ORD (Chicago) to BKK for less than $700 in March, 2023. Pre covid it was less than $550. Even one time I remember buying for $330 for one way ticket around 2018. May be I should buy one for my March 2023 travel begore it start going up. 

I bought a RT ticket JAL sfo to bkk 550 dollars was regular price 

6 hours ago, Pinot said:

What would we do without amateur epidemiologists? You know, people who make up their own facts to support their ridiculous comments. 

The pandemic killed 15 million people. It's still killing people. It's not the flu! Jesus wept. 

By the way, if you enjoy living get your covid and flu shots up to date. They're two separate things. You need both and they're easily available. Or go with the amateur epidemiologists. Let me know how that works out for you. 

14.9 Million Deaths

Do you also believe that the earth is flat?????????????

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And yet, frozen chips are up from 99bht to 165bht in Makro.

Which would make chip inflation 65% in Thailand.

(Oddly enough, potato prices remain unchanged)

But when they go from 165 to 99, no one bats an eyelid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Richard, I don't expect anyone would be interested in my own OPINIONS. They might be interested in FACTS supported by the source which can then be discussed.

Are you achieving anything with your 57+ k posts? 

Just my OPINION of course !!! ????

Raphael, be sure your posts reflect reality. You've quoted the number of "thanks" not "posts"

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, flexomike said:

well one had to go down for the other to come up, just got my SS deposit today it was 7332 baht less than last month if that isn't a surge I give up, yes the baht surged because the dollar went down

Well a few months bonus at least. I assume you're back on about the same as in August but still better than this time last year..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2022 at 7:21 AM, jacko45k said:

I am concerned about electricity prices which I am told will rise substantially in the New Year..... had a go at the Mrs last night as to why we had a rice cooker on for hours on end!

The plain and simple fact is Thailand is running out of available energy producing resources and is haivng to rely on pricey imports.  Natural gas is big in Thailand for electricity production but the production of available reserves is lagging badly.  Here is a good reason for part of it.

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/asia/423027/thailand-needs-shale-gas-moment-as-energy-crisis-deepens-on-ptteps-watch/

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

The plain and simple fact is Thailand is running out of available energy producing resources and is haivng to rely on pricey imports.  Natural gas is big in Thailand for electricity production but the production of available reserves is lagging badly.  Here is a good reason for part of it.

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/asia/423027/thailand-needs-shale-gas-moment-as-energy-crisis-deepens-on-ptteps-watch/

Very concerning.....

5 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

Relative to other currency. Maybe Q; "where goes one we go all."

This is a current account question, the fact it has been in surplus for the past two months and remains so this month, means that THB will strengthen. If the account is in surplus, that means gov. wont have to borrow at the end of the budget year. Here's a link for you to check periodically to confirm that is true.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/current-account

Why is it in surplus? Because tourism has increased and other exports are still holding their own, despite a slight loss, tourism has taken up the slack.

Edited by nigelforbes

Dipso sad tale.

Cost of my Aussie red wine (same bottle, same shop)  from November 15 to Dec 6:

Nov 15: 26.76

Nov 25 26.83

Nov 28 27.03

Dec 1   27.77

Dec 3  27.96

Dec 6  28.21

Canadian dollar

Baht 699 each transaction

• Like 2

On 12/2/2022 at 5:08 PM, flexomike said:

well one had to go down for the other to come up, just got my SS deposit today it was 7332 baht less than last month if that isn't a surge I give up, yes the baht surged because the dollar went down

Assuming 38 baht last month and 34 baht this month. With a little algebra: 38x = 34x + 7332. Then. 4x=7332.  That's $1833/month