Are we living in the Matrix?

7 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

What are you talking about you id**t.

That's not even a cat - where I come from we have proper cats we call Lions  ????

This makes as much sense as someone paying billions for something and then sacking the majority of its employees ....

Should have sold those bloody Tesla shares ????

It might make more sense when you understand how much money $199 billion is (this week's current estimated worth). If he lost $198 billion, he'd still have 1000 x $1 million.

At some point, money loses its value if you have too much. He must have been getting a bit bored with Tesla and needed a new hobby. At what point does making more money become mundane. His wealth can fluctuate by 10's of billions in a day.

It also suprises me how many people insult the intelligence of the world's richest person. They were really getting stuck into him during the cave rescue drama. It's nothing more than envy.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

It might make more sense when you understand how much money $199 billion is (this week's current estimated worth). If he lost $198 billion, he'd still have 1000 x $1 million.

At some point, money loses its value if you have too much. He must have been getting a bit bored with Tesla and needed a new hobby. At what point does making more money become mundane. His wealth can fluctuate by 10's of billions in a day.

It also suprises me how many people insult the intelligence of the world's richest person. They were really getting stuck into him during the cave rescue drama. It's nothing more than envy.

The problem when becoming one of the most influential human in his time, is when their own ego becomes their enemy. Especially when you have a brain with mental challenges, it becomes a double-edged sword.

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

The problem when becoming one of the most influential human in his time, is when their own ego becomes their enemy. Especially when you have a brain with mental challenges, it becomes a double-edged sword.

I'm yet to see him suffering from becoming his own enemy. I think he's having a lot of fun. He's a self-made man and one who made his fortune by working hard and expects the same from his staff. Time will tell, but I'm certainly not going to concern myself over his welfare.

2 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I'm yet to see him suffering from becoming his own enemy. I think he's having a lot of fun. He's a self-made man and one who made his fortune by working hard and expects the same from his staff. Time will tell, but I'm certainly not going to concern myself over his welfare.

As long His impulsivity and intuition plays out positive for his advantage, but he have been so many times on the edge, and as long he can afford it and do not loose the trust from his partners and investors, it is all good as long it last. But time will show how this ends. 

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

As long His impulsivity and intuition plays out positive for his advantage, but he have been so many times on the edge, and as long he can afford it and do not loose the trust from his partners and investors, it is all good as long it last. But time will show how this ends. 

Part of being exceedingly rich is taking punts. He has been close to or even broke along the way. I know where he grew up - about 60km from my high school in South Africa, but he was in kindergarten when I finished high school. It's a hard place to grow up and it can toughen you up. Don't worry about Elon - he'll be just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

The OP mentioned the term "guesswork", which reminds me of the electrical wiring in my house. 

It's shocking, really. 

Nothing seems to be properly grounded. 

Sometimes the lights flicker, if they glow at all. 

Some of the electricians here are self-taught. And others are not taught, whatsoever. 

Does anybody know that an electrical plug is designed to be plugged in one way, and not the obverse? 

Thai food is wonderful because it's an artform. It's the guesswork in Thai food that makes it what it is. 

But it is also the guesswork in Thai electrical wiring that makes it so shocking. 

In mathematics, a matrix is a rectangular array or table of numbers, symbols, or expressions, arranged in rows and columns, which is used to represent a mathematical object or a property of such an object. 

99 percent of people here in Thailand do not know how to mathematically manipulate matrices, worth their salt. 

I find this simple fact, shocking. 

Still, the food is exceptional. 

I assume that most of you didn't come here to learn advanced Algebra. 

7 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Part of being exceedingly rich is taking punts. He has been close to or even broke along the way. I know where he grew up - about 60km from my high school in South Africa, but he was in kindergarten when I finished high school. It's a hard place to grow up and it can toughen you up. Don't worry about Elon - he'll be just fine.

Im worried about us, not him. Taking a great role in the freedom of speach is essential for who we are and what we become. Being part of Spending ridiculous amounts of resources to “save” the world becoming electric and spending more energy we really do not have at the moment to increase spending and consuming, when we should have slowed down and improved the environment impact for the future generations. Spending tremendously amount of resources to take us to march in the future. 

Last he want to put a eurolink in our heads for improving humanities capacities. 

15 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I am not worried about Musk. 

Musk graduated from my school, University of Pennsylvania. 

Musk must be full of cheesesteak.

Penn grads are twice as fine as Harvard grads. 

I'm not worried about Musk. 

I love the guy, and I love the scent of musk, in any case. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im worried about us, not him. Taking a great role in the freedom of speach is essential for who we are and what we become. Being part of Spending ridiculous amounts of resources to “save” the world becoming electric and spending more energy we really do not have at the moment to increase spending and consuming, when we should have slowed down and improved the environment impact for the future generations. Spending tremendously amount of resources to take us to march in the future. 

Last he want to put a eurolink in our heads for improving humanities capacities. 

Sorry - I thought you were worried about Elon. LOL. I'm even less worried about us. I'm happy to accept the lesser evil of free speech vs censorship by the tech industry. Unfortunately he is in a very vulnerable position if the other tech giants pull his app from the app store. There was talk that he could make his own phone, but that's not going to be very helpful as people aren't going to throw away their expensive phones to buy a new one, just to use one app. I think he'll end up negotiating with the tech giants and compromising.

Did you mean "taking us to Mars"? If so, it doesn't really matter about getting to Mars or not. Either way, it's a bonus for rocket science and the advancement of space technology.

Edited by JensenZ

52 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

It’s only envy if money is your master,it isn’t mine?

3 minutes ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

It’s only envy if money is your master,it isn’t mine?

Money is everyone's master. Try living without it. It's impossible.

Even so, I'm not envious of Elon's wealth but I am in awe of it.

Edited by JensenZ

48 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Lots of silliness here.

A guy with a set square at the pyramids? And he could tell with that simple instrument nobody could build to those tolerances today? Did an alien make his set square that can measure those tolerances so precisely?

53 years ago man went to the moon using computers with about as much ooomph as a $50 mobile phone and the quality control in spacecraft construction not much better than a Yugo..

Humans have long been resourceful.

The Romans constructed a long aqueduct to bring water to Nimes. The structure had to cross the Gard River. 2000 years ago they built a bridge to cross the Gard and carry the water. Since they had no electric pumps, gravity was their only 'power' to move the water along. The portion that crosses the Gard is several hundred meters long. The slope from one side to the other drops about 2 cm....just enough to keep the water flowing. Romans, not aliens, built that. Oh, and there is no mortar used in the construction. Roman masons cut the slabs so exact that one would be hard pressed to slip a razor blade  between 10-ton slabs....which are dozens of meters above ground.

As stated, humans have long been resourceful.

The Mayans built exacting structures and even figured out the length of a year to within an hour or so, as well as establishing the orbit of planets. You see, when there was no Netflix or World Cup or Twitter or Facebook, the more clever humans had time to sit and look at the sky....day in and day out---and note the changes from one night to the next.

That pyramid-like structures exist in many disparate places don't not imply aliens or cross fertilization; it merely says that such a structure is about as strong as then-technology could muster. Today, kids build houses of cards using a similar principle. No need for any aliens to teach kids how to do that, just as there was no need for aliens to teach humans how to pile rocks on top of each other.

The pyramids required a few bright engineers, plus tens of thousands of very cheap workers, i.e., slaves. The Indians used the same technology to build the Taj Mahal 4000 years later......they built ramps a kilometer long with a gentle slope, and then had humans and elephants pull heavy rocks up the slope to move rocks into position. (Having visited both the pyramids and Taj, one thing I know is that there is plenty of sand to build the slopes). The Indians also sourced ebony from Sri Lanka, dug deep cylindrical holes in the ground, filled them with water, dropped the ebony beams (very slow rotting wood) into the holes, then built the Taj on top, the ebony serving as a clever cushion in the event of an earthquake.

No aliens required.

One would think if aliens were going to make a few billion mile trip to Earth, they would teach humans how to make something like the new Steinway Building on Central park in NYC, rather than just pile some rocks on top of each other.

Even more astonishing than piles of rocks or ebony columns supporting a massive tomb, was what James Clerk Maxwell figured out 150 years ago...and without any assistance from aliens. Besides his equations regarding electromagnetism, do you know Maxwell---using only math---determined what made up the rings of Saturn?

Humans have long been resourceful.

De Nile is a river in Africa!

1 hour ago, Lucky Bones said:

That's a bit deep and meaningful over my Sunday rice crispies.

What did you really mean to project?????????

I am referring to sociopaths and psychopaths, whom unfortunately seem to make up a fair proportion of our leaders.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Back on topic, I have been watching 4 kittens growing up near a BBQ stand opposite my place. One of them always runs after me and follows me up the street even though I don't feed it. I'm the pied piper of cats. Two are black and two are tabby.

Maybe you smell of fish?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Money is everyone's master. Try living without it. It's impossible.

Even so, I'm not envious of Elon's wealth but I am in awe of it.

Money is my servant. As long as I have enough, I don't need more.

Elon Musk is a good example of selective intelligence. Einstein was naive when he attempted to become a social scientist.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The OP mentioned the term "guesswork", which reminds me of the electrical wiring in my house. 

It's shocking, really. 

Nothing seems to be properly grounded. 

Sometimes the lights flicker, if they glow at all. 

Some of the electricians here are self-taught. And others are not taught, whatsoever. 

Does anybody know that an electrical plug is designed to be plugged in one way, and not the obverse? 

Thai food is wonderful because it's an artform. It's the guesswork in Thai food that makes it what it is. 

But it is also the guesswork in Thai electrical wiring that makes it so shocking. 

In mathematics, a matrix is a rectangular array or table of numbers, symbols, or expressions, arranged in rows and columns, which is used to represent a mathematical object or a property of such an object. 

99 percent of people here in Thailand do not know how to mathematically manipulate matrices, worth their salt. 

I find this simple fact, shocking. 

Still, the food is exceptional. 

I assume that most of you didn't come here to learn advanced Algebra. 

Tangible evidence of an alternate reality.

33 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Did you mean "taking us to Mars"? If so, it doesn't really matter about getting to Mars or not. Either way, it's a bonus for rocket science and the advancement of space technology.

What is it for us? What really does it matters for average joe and his family, that we one day will travel to Mars? Why is it we are so easily manipulated to believe such <deleted> <deleted>, and be part of it, and on the way ruin our own earth to reach stupid goals to maintain illusions and dreams? 

Because of religion we are now 8 billion people (do not allow prevention or abortion), and most kids are born in Underdeveloped countries, and 22 000 kids die every day because of poverty! Two billion children live in poverty or 3,3 billion people total. 

And here we continue to use resourches we do not have. Every year we already used this planets yearly reproductive resource’s by 1,8. 

Yes technology can maybe save us in the end, but it is a long way, maybe to long. We are not going to be here by then. 

Edited by Hummin

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

What is it for us? What really does it matters for average joe and his family, that we one day will travel to Mars? Why is it we are so easily manipulated to believe such <deleted>, and be part of it, and on the way ruin our own earth to reach stupid goals to maintain illusions and dreams? 

Because of religion we are now 8 billion people (do not allow prevention or abortion), and most kids are born in Underdeveloped countries, and 22 000 kids die every day because of poverty! Two billion children live in poverty or 3,3 billion people total. 

And here we continue to use resourches we do not have. Every year we already used this planets yearly reproductive resource’s by 1,8. 

Yes technology can maybe save us in the end, but it is a long way, maybe to long. We are not going to be here by then. 

I am a believer in the Gaia hypothesis, at some point the planet will bite us on the bum in retribution for what we have done to it.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Money is my servant. As long as I have enough, I don't need more.

Elon Musk is a good example of selective intelligence. Einstein was naive when he attempted to become a social scientist.

Elon is Musk is not really an example of anything because he's one of a kind.