Road safety Here is how it could be done in Thailand

norbra

Thais are just too undisciplined to obey rules. I think it's in their DNA. I think you'd have to start by imposing large deterrents ie big fines and prison time. Also the basic rules need enforcing ie everyone undergoes a proper test; all have to have a license to drive; all vehicles have to have a PROPER inspection and no one drives against the flow of traffic. Then you can start introducing stopping at red lights etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It starts with only allowing people with a driving licence obtained by passing a real driving test and demonstrating knowledge of the highway code.  How many police have real test-based licences?  Most Thais are given or buy their licences.

Then create a corp of police who knw the rules and are prepared to enforce them.  Highly improbable as even murder is not punished in Thailand if committed by the "right" person.

So all in all, improving driving here is a dream for politicans and senior policemen, they can talk forever, pass law after law, buy all the new equipment that is invented - and even equipment everyone knows does not work - knowing full well they will not have to change their ways so other Thais will not change either.

If the Thai people and the Thai government REALLY wanted - Thailand could become like any very advanced western country, or at least Singapore. With similar laws and law enforcement, same economy status, same safety standards and probably same or higher cost of living. But then what? will you all still like or even be able to live here? Most retired people and some married to Thai people that I know come here mostly due to the much cheaper cost of living as they won't be able to keep the same standards in their home countries. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Well that starts at the top. The supervising officers should be telling them to patrol. But road safety does not start with a big stick deterrent. Its road infrastructure and education that needs sorting first. Example putting keep left bollards in the centre of the road at stop or Give way lines would deter people from cutting corners.

You mention education. You cannot educate stupid which most Thai drivers and motorbike riders are.

• Like 2

Road Safety could be done in Thailand But that's going to take some Major changes in the Natives .

That's going to be the hardest part.

Corruption and Don't care attitude is been bred in the natives since the year dot.

Good luck with the big stick and build a thousand more jails for the offenders and Vehicle crushers for all the modified and unroadworthy vehicles,

That would be a good start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

You mention education. You cannot educate stupid which most Thai drivers and motorbike riders are.

They are not all stupid and if they made it law for mandatory training then that is what is required. Most of the drivers learn from other people and family meaning they learn all the bad habits and none of the skills or laws of driving.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I simply don't understand why some people come to Thailand because they are supposed to love this country but want to turn Thailand into a copy of their own miserable country.
Would you like if your country would adhere tomorrow to Sharia law and Islam rules?
Stop showing your "Superiority behavior" and go with the flow.

Please explain how you managed to divert this thread which is about road safety in Thailand to Sharia law and Islam rules in other countries.

Basically your post is completely pointless and totally off topic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Please explain how you managed to divert this thread which is about road safety in Thailand to Sharia law and Islam rules in other countries.

Basically your post is completely pointless and totally off topic.

His name explains it 

• Thumbs Up 1

Death penalty, immediate execution after 2nd time in the wrong, will educate people very quickly. I know, it is a bit harsh, but think of all the advantages such as fewer people, cars and motorbikes on the road (and in general); hardly any accidents (stupid people die first!); roads in very good condition; a lot less people to feed...
Negative effects: small (most incomplete) families, huge drop in car/motorbike sales, and rise in gun-related fights

2 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

They are not all stupid and if they made it law for mandatory training then that is what is required. Most of the drivers learn from other people and family meaning they learn all the bad habits and none of the skills or laws of driving.

I did not say they were all stupid, I said that most of them are, and I stand by that. Most, yes I mean most Thai drivers and motorbike riders are stupid and not fit to be behind a steering wheel or handlebars..

• Like 1