xmas day in Pattaya

Deserted

"Hello there, my family and I will be in Pattaya on xmas day and are trying to find out if any pubs do xmas lunch, or if any of the malls have something chistmassy going"

I don't know if you realise, but Thailand is a Buddhist country, not a Christian country. They don't celebrate Xmas here.

Malls - yes, they've got Xmas trees there. Is that "Christmassy" enough for you?

Lunch - there's always loads of places that do lunches and buffets. Just pick what you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deserted said:

In addition, I have had a quick look at all on offer linked to this thread, there is a bit of an issue in play that I completely forgot to mention. I am a vegetarian, and would ideally like  to find someone who caters for vegetarians for xmas lunch. No luck at what I have looked at so far. It's a bit much to ask for 1-2k per person for a plate of vegetables as a substitute, so that's not really an option. 

You are paying for the experience and atmosphere on this day (which is why you are hunting for Christmas related only, right), not the food.  IF just food you go to Soi Boukhao market and eat wildly for under 200 a pop.

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The bars and restaurants in the U.K. are very expensive on Christmas Day, it’s a holiday, the staff get double time, if they are on the minimum wage currently £10.90 meaning they will be on £21.80 on Christmas Day meaning lunch will be expensive.

in Pattaya the staff will be on the Thai minimum wage 350 baht roughly bearing in mind Christmas Day is not a holiday in Thailand so there is no need to pay an enhanced rate to the staff.

So why are Restaurants charging U.K. prices for Christmas Lunch ?

Demand.  If demand is high and supply low to get that 'holiday' experience, they will charge accordingly.

Plus food, especially meat costs have risen dramatically as well.

1 minute ago, Dart12 said:

You are paying for the experience and atmosphere on this day (which is why you are hunting for Christmas related only, right), not the food.  IF just food you go to Soi Boukhao market and eat wildly for under 200 a pop.

Demand.  If demand is high and supply low to get that 'holiday' experience, they will charge accordingly.

Plus food, especially meat costs have risen dramatically as well.

No they are exploiting the farang tourists, my idea of Christmas in Asia is sitting in the sun enjoying a beer not eating overpriced food in a bar/restaurant, I can do that in the U.K.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jumbo1968 said:

No they are exploiting the farang tourists, my idea of Christmas in Asia is sitting in the sun enjoying a beer not eating overpriced food in a bar/restaurant, I can do that in the U.K.

Nobody is taking away your option.  

I personally haven't seen an event worth what they want either.  But they are there if someone does. 

It's great to have options.

@ op.  Central Festival mall is Christmasy inside with many decorations and Christmas music playing. 

Soi Boukhoa will have many many santas' helpers in costume that day too lol.  

if you have money, Royal Cliff Resorts is absolutely beautiful inside, high class affair with scenic views and a selection of different quality restaurants.

https://www.royalcliff.com/whatsnew/

8 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Nobody is taking away your option.  

I personally haven't seen an event worth what they want either.  But they are there if someone does. 

It's great to have options.

Yes it’s all about choice, I haven’t spent the Festive period in the U.K. since 2006, I have enjoyed my times in places not just Thailand in warmer climates. There is always talk of tourists being exploited by Thai people but foreign restaurants here are exploiting people even more charging for basically what is just a Sunday Lunch.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Deserted said:

In addition, I have had a quick look at all on offer linked to this thread, there is a bit of an issue in play that I completely forgot to mention. I am a vegetarian, and would ideally like  to find someone who caters for vegetarians for xmas lunch. No luck at what I have looked at so far. It's a bit much to ask for 1-2k per person for a plate of vegetables as a substitute, so that's not really an option. 

So what do vegetarians have for Xmas lunch generally ? That would help knowing. 

There is a vegetarian small restaurant further up from Friendship supermarket on the left side. Another one on  Pratumnak  Soi ???´Soi where the Russian market is. Very good both .  Right side middle of soi going  downhill.

9 hours ago, PJ71 said:

That's a lot, in essence, what is essentially a buffet.

It isn't a buffet....I don't normally do buffets.

Quality comes at a price.

Outside what I would normally spend but Covid probably saved me £10,000 in travel costs so 5,000 Baht, plus another 3k for drinks,  for 2 of us doesn't hurt my savings.

Next year could be Cheap Charlie's 799 Baht - no doubt just as enjoyable with the right company.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Love It 1

13 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The bars and restaurants in the U.K. are very expensive on Christmas Day, it’s a holiday, the staff get double time, if they are on the minimum wage currently £10.90 meaning they will be on £21.80 on Christmas Day meaning lunch will be expensive.

in Pattaya the staff will be on the Thai minimum wage 350 baht roughly bearing in mind Christmas Day is not a holiday in Thailand so there is no need to pay an enhanced rate to the staff.

So why are Restaurants charging U.K. prices for Christmas Lunch ?

Perhaps to make money...

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

It isn't a buffet....I don't normally do buffets.

Every xmas lunch i've been to in Pattaya over the years at all the british style 'pubs' has been a buffet.

I also don't do buffets, if i'm going out to eat i like to be served.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

18 hours ago, Deserted said:

Yes of course but I take preference over personal recommendations than what google has to say. 

Personal recommendations are just that- personal. One persons wonderful meal may not be to the liking of another. Eg I like the Lek buffet breakfast, but many on here rubbish it.

Up to you, but I'd just go with what seems good on the internet.

21 hours ago, Deserted said:

if any of the malls have something chistmassy going on

No doubt they will be playing Jinger bells etc and perhaps decorations and a tree or something like that, but don't expect too much.

I recall that Royal Garden used to put up decorations outside that did for Xmas and New Year. Given covid and all that, who knows this year?

5 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Am I reading the price right 2490 baht nearly £60 and that doesn’t include drinks ?

Last time I bought Christmas lunch in UK it was just over £50/head and that was nearly 30 years ago.

Since when did good European food come cheap, particularly this year. For many turkey will not be available at any price.

Maybe you should stick to a Christmas kapao and a bottle of chang.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Last time I bought Christmas lunch in UK it was just over £50/head and that was nearly 30 years ago.

Since when did good European food come cheap, particularly this year. For many turkey will not be available at any price.

Maybe you should stick to a Christmas kapao and a bottle of chang.

I can easily afford what ever it costs, I regularly had Christmas Lunch in the U.K., I expected to pay a premium because of the increased rate of pay for the staff, double time as it was a holiday.

You say good European food, no it’s not it’s grown in Thailand, ok the Turkey might be imported, the staff if they are lucky will be on the Thai minimum wage so how can a restaurant justify charging European prices, it’s exploitation of foreigners by their own people.

So many cheap Charlies here! Yes, Thanksgiving and Christmas Hotel Buffets can be a bit expensive here, but the selections are spectacular! Hard to beat anywhere in the world. If you're on a 100 Baht budget, they aren't for you, but if you can squeeze out enough cash for the family and can make use of the "all you can eat" format, it's well worth the spend. And I'll close with a Merry Christmas to all!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Am I reading the price right 2490 baht nearly £60 and that doesn’t include drinks ?

Tried them already and they do cater for vegetarians but I won't be getting much change out of 10,000 baht which is a bit much for one meal. 

I think it's perfectly appropriate for these 2500 baht festive meals.  However I do find it a bit appalling that they don't include a set of beverages along with that price.  Granted, can't be open bar on everyything, but include SOMETHING!

19 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I can easily afford what ever it costs, I regularly had Christmas Lunch in the U.K., I expected to pay a premium because of the increased rate of pay for the staff, double time as it was a holiday.

You say good European food, no it’s not it’s grown in Thailand, ok the Turkey might be imported, the staff if they are lucky will be on the Thai minimum wage so how can a restaurant justify charging European prices, it’s exploitation of foreigners by their own people.

Other than pointing out you don't have to pay large for the dinner- can go to ordinary resto ( never got the point of paying large to eat with people I don't know, but up to you ) have you considered that they have to make as much as possible in high season to tide them over the low season? Nothing unusual about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, paulbrow said:

So many cheap Charlies here! Yes, Thanksgiving and Christmas Hotel Buffets can be a bit expensive here, but the selections are spectacular! Hard to beat anywhere in the world. If you're on a 100 Baht budget, they aren't for you, but if you can squeeze out enough cash for the family and can make use of the "all you can eat" format, it's well worth the spend. And I'll close with a Merry Christmas to all!

Buffets are not worth the money IMO, having to serve yourself with luke warm, soggy food - no thanks. 

I've been to some of the better ones, Hilton, Mantra ( 6K a head ) and they're not 'spectacular'.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

You are perfectly free to believe European restaurants will be charging an equivalent price for Christmas lunch, watch out for the low flying pigs.

Fairly obvious you have never been to the restaurant.