63-year-old American arrested in Phang Nga for 745 days of overstay, hadn’t left his house in two years

webfact

On 12/7/2022 at 2:44 AM, Stargeezr said:

Someone is kidding, if you can afford to stay over 2 years, you could afford an extension. Seriously.

That is a fact! He fell at the first fence, an easy and cheap requirement. I can understand Thai Immigration having no sympathy. However, if he has developed physical and/or mental problems since entering Thailand then it would be the decent and human thing to make some allowance.

Many assume he not renew his visa (extension) because of financials. But I not read anything about this. 
It also could be that he was so scared about covid (745 days little bit over 2 years) and not want to leave the house and renew his extension because of that.

As here is always so much speculation but we never will know the truth. Yes, he did wrong, and he will be deported. 
But the reason why we do not know. And you also can't take every word in the story as too many times there were translation errors as well.

How many times I see the word billion translated to German as billion (German billion equals trillion in English)

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 3:25 AM, jwest10 said:

Many people in the same boat and no family left in USA UK and Europe. Oh so sad indeed

Agreed, it is sad however his situation is much of his own making.

We don't know if he has family in the US who can help him while he gets back on his feet, if he doesn't thats just bad.

He is of an age where he can get social security, so long as he paid in long enough, but again we don't know how long and how much

This seems on the surface at least to be the classic trap. Living on a shoestring in Thailand with no ties back home, and when the sh%$t hits the fan living in a cardboard box under a freeway underpass is in your immediate future

On 12/6/2022 at 2:21 PM, nobodysfriend said:

A life destroyed for what ?

He made a mistake , but nobody got harmed .

Sometimes thai immigration should consider to act in a more humane way , and take into consideration that , really , no damage was done .

What do you propose they do. I am 76 years old and have been getting a extension of stay for 12 years. This guy is 63 and cannot get it done. I do not have a problem making it in every year and getting 90 day reports done. By the looks of things he should have stayed in America. We only have two thing that have to be done while in Thailand pay the rent and keep our extension of stay current if you cannot do those things stay at home

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 1:42 AM, Purdey said:

There isn't much sympathy for illegal aliens in any country these days.

Well there is the dilemma.

I think we all have sympathy for anyone fleeing persecution, but they are swamped by those economic migrants.

Now in the US most of us are decedents of economic migrants.

My Grandparents crossed the border at San Ysidro, not being persecuted but just wanting a better life in America.

But that was then, Asylum rules were drawn up in the 1950's, not sure how any of this now translates into a 21st century world

• Like 1