Man who stole weed from neighbor dies after attack - initially police won't prosecute saying owner had right to defend property

webfact

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

That he attacked him from start is not anything wrong with, as that is defending his own property. However, adding extra violence that can be tracked down as a reason for a person´s death can never be right.

Your standards are too low. If he would have gotten shot and killed that would have been fine by me.

What you're basically suggesting is that if you try to steal from someone at night the worst that can happen is getting attacked and wrestled to the ground until the cops come, unless of course you get away first.

Fine, make that the rule but at YOUR house but many of us don't want to play that game.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am sure this case was not the first for the property owner.

I am understanding his immense anger, when he has got caught the culprit. The accumulated feelings erupted.

Why go to steal the man?

Why no go to doctor? 

I mean, the true victim is the owner of the plantation.

The police no any respond for these "small" cases. 

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What? Of course, there is a case and a reason to prosecute him. Are you living by the law book of Rwanda? Here we have a person that has been attacked and tries to crawl away. Then the owner of the property could have chosen to hold him and call police. Instead, he chose to kick the person until badly hurt. That is excessive force, that was not needed and can´t be called self-defense nor protection of his own property.

What you´re asking here is why they should prosecute him? Look at it this way, if I am in my own home eating french fries, and a person walks by stealing one of my french fries. Do I have the right to cause him bodily harm, that will later be the cause of his death?

If you just fired one up and those precious French Fries were your answer to the munchies . . . you better believe you'd take him out.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Your standards are too low. If he would have gotten shot and killed that would have been fine by me.

What you're basically suggesting is that if you try to steal from someone at night the worst that can happen is getting attacked and wrestled to the ground until the cops come, unless of course you get away first.

Fine, make that the rule but at YOUR house but many of us don't want to play that game.

Sorry dude! It´s the law. Only sad that they do not follow it. Not me making up. But, sure! Go ahead and kick someone so bad they die after, see if you are same lucky. Be my guest! Thumbs up for you!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Gottfrid said:

Sorry dude! It´s the law. Only sad that they do not follow it. Not me making up. But, sure! Go ahead and kick someone so bad they die after, see if you are same lucky. Be my guest! Thumbs up for you!

no way I'm not going to do that. I'm going to submit to criminals and get my property violated. Getting my bike stolen or whatever is better than going to jail. I could blame Thailand for being 3rd world blah blah blah but it's just as bad in the US with their protected minority classes.

39 minutes ago, wombat said:

all the hang him high mob make me laugh....you've come home and found someone robbing your castle...what are you going to do?...
say
I say old sausage best off you go tootle pip like a good fellow?

I'd let my woman stab him. 

No point in trying to kick someone when you're wearing flip flops. 

Edited by BritManToo

5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

no way I'm not going to do that. I'm going to submit to criminals and get my property violated. Getting my bike stolen or whatever is better than going to jail. I could blame Thailand for being 3rd world blah blah blah but it's just as bad in the US with their protected minority classes.

Never said you were going to submit. Why are taking it that way. Just said not to inflict deadly result. Is that too hard for you to comprehend? Maybe you have a lack of self control?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Because he was on his property, stealing his stuff.

Here's an idea if you don't want to get beaten up. Don't steal from others. If it's not yours, don't take it.

He only died weeks later because he refused medical treatment. So not only was he a thief, but he was also incredibly stupid. 

Hopefully Thailand doesn't go the way of the west where the thief gets off scott free and the guy defending his property goes to jail.

Let's talk about the American way, is it so much better?

Everybody has a gun, but sex is bad.

• Haha 2

This is a complicated area. There is no doubt that the man who was growing the ganja had a right to defend his property and there's no doubt that the guy who was stealing the ganja stepped over the line, showed a great lack of judgment, and is subject to punishment at that point. Killing him was definitely going a step too far, or beating him to near unconsciousness was unnecessary, when the perp was unarmed.

But, there is an argument to be made that the thief was showing a great deal of ignorance, and a great deal of disrespect by stealing a rather valuable cash crop such as this. And when you venture onto another man's property and start stealing his stuff all bets are off. It is a big risk. Some get away with it, and some don't. 

Edited by spidermike007

This is what happens when you have an inadequate justice system. 

Then you give duties to an inept police force that is minimal train to be judge and jury in majority of the cases when they themselves come from a system that has no critical thinking. 

It was a simple case,  for start get the man medical treatment then take the report.  Everyt&ing here is a Wai,  sorry, fine,  dont do it again!  Does anyone understand the meaning of taking and teaching real responsibility.  

Guess it is easier to say TIT. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

But, there is an argument to be made that the thief was showing a great deal of ignorance, a great deal of disrespect and when you venture onto another man's property and start stealing his stuff all bets are off. 

If a local climbed my wall, and was taking mangoes off my tree, I just don't expect I would get off free for hacking him to death with a hatchet!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

Or the vicious homeowner has 'friends' in high places.  How can anyone be allowed to beat someone up & not face prosecution!  Banana Republic.

so if a drunk or addict forces his way into your home - you would feel obliged to watch him beat your son to death and rape your daughter while you wait for the police to arrive?

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Tragic to read what you post. There is a perfect solution here, that you seem to have missed totally. The guy was already attacked and brought to the ground. He was trying to crawl away. The property owner could have held him and called the police to remove and charge him. Instead, he made the choice to kick a man already laying on the ground. 

Maybe you know that in Thailand, the thief often crawls away and returns later with 6 friends and a home-made gun........

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If a local climbed my wall, and was taking mangoes off my tree, I just don't expect I would get off free for hacking him to death with a hatchet!

no weapon is mentioned. The thief died 2 weeks later after refusing medical treatment. 

34 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Never said you were going to submit. Why are taking it that way. Just said not to inflict deadly result. Is that too hard for you to comprehend? Maybe you have a lack of self control?

You do know that even one punch CAN sometimes result in death, right?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

no weapon is mentioned. The thief died 2 weeks later after refusing medical treatment. 

He went to hospital... how on earth is that refusing treatment? He  refused to be fed by a tube. He was being beaten as he attempted to crawl away... excessive violence is what it sounds like.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Artisi said:

Why should they prosecute him? 

I very much doubt I would accept an invite to your house with that attitude. Currently with these clowns, if it stands, you can invite anyone to your house , kill them and claim they were in your house stealing !

If the perp does not go down for at least 10 years, there's money involved 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Look at it this way, if I am in my own home eating french fries, and a person walks by stealing one of my french fries. Do I have the right to cause him bodily harm, that will later be the cause of his death?

Damn right you do! He shouldn't be in your home!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whilst no one has the moral right to beat another to death the deceased has himself to blame, firstly stealing & then refusing medical help. Sure it certainly sounds like the property owner used excessive force so there has to be a case to answer for but he didnt kill the guy or intend to. Maybe the stealing has been a regular occurrence and the owner has had enough !! 

Seems after reading comments for both sides what we should be asking discussing is if the crime of stealing from someone justifies the punishment received. Every country has their own laws so many opinions. Where I am from there are different laws for different situations as in the "stand your ground law", trespassing laws etc. Some will say this was a minor offense. The person that committed this crime stole and trespassed on someone else's property. Was the marijuana being grown for income? Probably, so it's okay to take hard earned I assume legal income from someone else that depends on it? I don't think so but I also don't think he should have been beat as bad as he was. Police should have been called but the beating as bad as it was may be an indication of the faith people have in getting justice in the Thai legal system. There is some blame to go around in this death, criminal, owner, hospital, police. Had the criminal been caught inside the other persons house then anything goes.