Man who stole weed from neighbor dies after attack - initially police won't prosecute saying owner had right to defend property

webfact

11 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

He done the right thing, if I met him I would shake his hand.

Don't disagree with him shooting someone in his house, just the comparison.

You enter someone's house with bad intent, you are open game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Who said he crawled out..? 

Erm, the story in the OP.. Perhaps you should go back and read it again, as you have instructed other posters to do.?

At the risk of appearing pedantic; I am cut and pasting directly:

Back on November 15th at 10pm he went into a neighbor's property to steal ganja plants but was caught and attacked, reported Thai Rath

She said her brother was a widower with an 18 year old son who lived in a shack in her field. 

He had smoked weed since he was a youth.

After the attack he had tried to crawl out of the neighbor's yard but had been kicked until he was badly hurt. 

2 hours ago, huangnon said:

Erm, the story in the OP.. Perhaps you should go back and read it again, as you have instructed other posters to do.?

At the risk of appearing pedantic; I am cut and pasting directly:

I'll repeat , WHO said he crawled out?

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2022 at 9:15 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I have to disagree with you, as I believe the blame lay solely on the intruder, I mean you know that you wouldn't risk going onto a neighbours property at night or any other property for that matter.

It's called trespassing and the intruder was out to steal, regardless if it was ganja, his intention was clear, a good beating should have made him learn a lesson, in my days, the cops would do it.

The fact that he refused medical treatment when it was to be administered, shows to me that he is incapable of accepting things for what they are and has a problem mentally.

He is lucky my wife didn't catch him in our yard as she wields a manchette pretty well and won't think twice about using it.

As for the relatives, well to me, it shows that they are only after money as they can't see past their own noses, the guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time and unfortunately got a beating which medical treatment could have sorted, however he refused it, so there is no manslaughter case to be answered and no compensation to be made in my opinion.

Everyone has a right to defend their property and this sends a clear message and is within his rights in my opinion.

"As for the relatives, well to me, it shows that they are only after money as they can't see past their own noses". 

Agreed. This is Thailand. Everyone is always after the money. It's what makes Thailand tick.Here a perceived wrong can always be put right with a little or alot of money. Prosecution? Only if insufficient money offered. 

More seriously, I see the legal concept of causation being a stumbling block in any prosecution for manslaughter in view of the history. What actually was the cause of his death?

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2022 at 8:07 AM, Artisi said:

Why should they prosecute him? 

Remember thieves have the choice whether they commit the crime ......Don't let it get like the UK even punch an intruder you go to the nick ..your dog bites a burglar you get fined ..dog put down .. don't let that happen here   breaking into someone's property should give the owner / victim the right to do as he pleases if my family were in the house and someone broke in I'd kill to defend them ..but of course in the UK I'd spend the rest of my life in jail ..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Says a person that think it´s alright to take the law in his own hands. Congratulation! You are one of the people on planet earth that stands positive to anarchy. Because that´s what you have when people start to act like you post

No, not at all. Not when it's my property on my property especially in my house. A man's kingdom is his home. 

39 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

From what I read, he was coughing up blood, so could be a variety of things, possibly a ruptured spleen for one.

Or lung cancer, stomach cancer ... nobody knows without an autopsy.

No matter what ... it's a fairly unwinnable case for any prosecutor to prove he died from injuries received.  Don't even think you'd need a defense lawyer to win that one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firemans35 said:

No, not at all. Not when it's my property on my property especially in my house. A man's kingdom is his home. 

Yes, and then you have the law, in most countries. Except the ones that say they are brave and free. Also you have the moral dilemma of killing another person, but I guess that´s a piece of cake for you as well. Maybe a little bit of guilt on the side. No problem, you will not think of that either. Hope you sleep well at night.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I don't, I have never been threatened with violence in Thailand or even came close to it in 15 years because I never look for trouble. In the UK it is much harder to avoid trouble especially for someone like me who never takes any sh!t from anyone.

Such a though guy you are! Good on you!

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, mikebell said:

No.  The home owner should use reasonable force to subdue the intruder not carry on kicking him to within an inch of his life.

There is absolutely no proof of that so far.  Is there CCTV footage showing the homeowner continuing to kick the thief after he had been incapacitated (not merely fallen down)?  When the thief was delivered at the police station, they sure didn't see it as him being kicked "within an inch of his life".  The thief himself apparently didn't see it as such either, as he waited 1 week to go to the hospital.  Non of his family did either.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the absence of CCTV footage, I would say most likely scenario is along the lines of: homeowner confront thief, they have a scuffle, thief goes to ground but isn't incapacitated, homeowner kicks him a few times while he is on all fours.  Thief is then allowed to crawl away.  In this scenario, I don't see why the homeowner should get charged with anything.

10 hours ago, Billy Bloggs said:

and if he had gone to rehab he wouldnt have needed to steal weed

This happened in Thailand you know.....

Are you telling us all weed is now addictive, as you would be going against general opinion. Like drug addicts make wise decisions!