Man who stole weed from neighbor dies after attack - initially police won't prosecute saying owner had right to defend property

webfact

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure how the homeowner can be responsible for the 'thief' not seeking medical attention.  That's just stupid, and leans more toward suicide than manslaughter.

I agree.. I can’t see the deceaseds choice to refuse medical treatment as somehow the fault of the property owner..

that said, what I would think is that the law would allow property owners to be able to protect their lawful property … but … that whatever means used may only be “reasonable and prudent” and only to the extent to stop the illegal taking.

That to me would seem to be fair.

2 minutes ago, new2here said:

I agree.. I can’t see the deceaseds choice to refuse medical treatment as somehow the fault of the property owner..

that said, what I would think is that the law would allow property owners to be able to protect their lawful property … but … that whatever means used may only be “reasonable and prudent” and only to the extent to stop the illegal taking.

That to me would seem to be fair.

Yep ... PoPo arrested, fined and released him.   Couldn't have been in that bad of shape.   Only the relatives, pushing for 'justice' and probably compensation are stating otherwise.  Who apparently didn't care enough about him to ensure his health, if at all true.

Who's to say he didn't have a MB accident the following day, and the scam is on.

Committing crimes have consequences.  No Sympathy for criminals.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

You can't just kill someone in Thailand that enters (unarmed), into your property. There is no "srand your ground" law here. This is the law. Deadly force could be used if the intruder was armed with a gun. 

He could easily have had a gun hidden, so how can you be sure anyone does not have a gun? If a stranger is on your property after dark he should be walking towards your door, anything else, like trying to hide somewhere, or prowling about, you have to do something about it, especially if you have a family to protect.

No one should ever be on your property unless they are there to see someone who lives there. Anything else and they deserve all they get.

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What? Just because you do not know what might happen, you have the right to kill a person? You are American, right? Don´t answer. It was rhetorical.

No I am not American, just someone who will take drastic action if there is any chance of anyone committing violence against him.

13 hours ago, Gandtee said:

You don't beat him up. Once he is subdued you call the police to have him charged. 

Try calling the police if you live upcountry and the local police do not speak any English and you don't speak Thai.

16 hours ago, bangon04 said:

so if a drunk or addict forces his way into your home - you would feel obliged to watch him beat your son to death and rape your daughter while you wait for the police to arrive?

No.  The home owner should use reasonable force to subdue the intruder not carry on kicking him to within an inch of his life.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

In Udon if you have any dispute with a Thai man there is a good chance he wll come back with 6 friends and a home made gun..... 

Lovely... this guy would have been out of the zone with his booty for several days if left alone!

Stupid man committing a crime, gets a stupid end result. 
A man tried to break into a school in Santa Monica at night and was walking across the roof and stepped onto a skylight painted black. He fell through and became paralyzed from the fall. He sued the city because of the skylight and got a huge amount of money. Part of this upside down world we live in.

If your in the process of committing a crime and get shot, beaten, or paralyzed, it is your problem and not the person you are traumatizing.

Why do so many people seem to care more about the criminal than the victim?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OttoPollmann said:

Double standards in this Banana Republic. Thai walks scot free and this swiss guy sits in the monkey house for defend himself from an armed intruder in the middle of the night. 

What happened to the Swiss guy? I haven’t seen any follow up reports. Last I saw he was allowed bail.

The Swiss guy apparently had a string defence. Self defence and defence of wife (he didn’t know the intruder was his wife’s lover) against an armed intruder who threatened him with a revolver in his home. He fought three intruder, managed to disarm him and continued to fight until the threat was neutralized which unfortunately resulted in the intruder’s death. This would be accepted I’m most rule of law jurisdictions.

In the case in hand there is no self defense argument presented and it doesn’t seem the intruder was armed or presented a threat to life and limb. It seems the property owner used more force than was needed to eject the thief from his property. The intruder sustained serious injuries for which the property should be held responsible in criminal and civil law. He should not be held responsible for the death, if expect medical opinion holds that that would not have occurred, if the deceased had stayed on for medical treatment.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:40 AM, mikebell said:

Or the vicious homeowner has 'friends' in high places.  How can anyone be allowed to beat someone up & not face prosecution!  Banana Republic.

Could be self Defense, what would you do if two guys brake in  your place at night Wake up your wife an daughter an go to Town on them Are you going to watch them? You Not going to beat the crappo out of him/them if you got the chance or shoot/kill them? If not your not Human. 

I know for sure they wouldn't leave my place Alive if I could stop them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Ok, can you imagine that it's dark, your asleep, you hear a noise, you go outside, you see someone on your property, who knows what time it is, what would be your reaction be.

I know mine wouldn't be, can I help you, or would you like to help yourself, perhaps you would like a leg up to our daughters bedroom window where they are sleeping, maybe the keys to our car, no, raping my wife, then our daughters, then killing us all and taking off with our car, hmmm, would you like that with one lump of sugar or two.

Let's put it this way, if someone is on our property without an invite at night when out gates are locked, they are not there with good intentions so if I beat the <deleted> out of them, or killed them, I wouldn't think twice about defending our family and property.

Lets put it another way, the intruder would prefer my beating or death at my hands as it would be quicker than my wife's.

Not interested in laws in any country, and if I had to deal with the consequences of it after the fact, then so be it, as opposed to standing there asking questions to someone who is on our property, uninvited and with who knows what intensions.

Yes we certainly didn't grow up with silver spoons in our mouths, we grew up in the real world, seen more than most and can understand the difference between an invited person to an intruder at night.

If you can't understand the above, then offer your intruder a cup of coffee when he turns up, because waiting for the keystone cops here will be too late.

I heard a story a while ago about an Old Age Pensioner (OAP) who had a shed at the bottom of his garden which contained some valuable tools etc, and one night he saw some "people" trying to break into it. He immediately phoned the Police who said that they were very busy, and didn't have the manpower available to send anybody round to investigate. He put the phone down, and phoned back 2 minutes later to tell the Police not to bother coming round as he'd sorted it out by shooting one of the intruders, and the rest had run off! Within minutes, his house was surrounded by dozens of Police Officers, and the officer in charge asked the  OAP what had happened. He said, "Oh, I didn't really shoot anybody, but I thought you didn't have the manpower to investigate a burglary being committed?" I believe he was lucky not to get charged with wasting Police time! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes I live in Thailand, since approx. 20 years. The question is not if I live in Thailand. The big question is if you understand what I posted and can take that to you without twisting it to something it is not meant to be.

When did I say that I have no problem with drug addict entering my home?
When did I say I would be happy to subdue him?

Also, you know that it does not take 1 or 2 days for the police to come. If you don´t, you do not live in Thailand or own very poor knowledge. 

This is what I have been opposing:

The need and approval of member on this forum to use deadly force on a person already on the ground.

If a person is already on the ground, you really do not need to do much for him to stay until police comes. I my world it would be ok with a quick and precise punch on the chin to put him to sleep. He wouldn´t die of that, but kicking a person already down on the ground is out of the question.

Now, you can try to read and understand before twisting the information to your advantage.

I fully understand what you wrote, doesn't change 1 thing. 

If you think that the police would arrive at your call during the night you haven't got a clue of what goes on regarding the police once the sun goes down. 

22 hours ago, huangnon said:

Property owner might want to smoke a bit of what he's growing and chill out a tad.?

Granted, the guy was a thief, but kicking him on the ground enough to kill him seems like a large overreaction to me.

He didn't die from any alleged kicking, give the lead story a comprehensive read, for what that's worth. 

18 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I very much doubt I would accept an invite to your house with that attitude. Currently with these clowns, if it stands, you can invite anyone to your house , kill them and claim they were in your house stealing !

If the perp does not go down for at least 10 years, there's money involved 

Suggest you read a little further, we wasn't invited and it's seems it's not the first time he's helped himself to someone else's property. 

14 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Suggest you read a little further, we wasn't invited and it's seems it's not the first time he's helped himself to someone else's property. 

Definitely the last time ... ????

51 minutes ago, Artisi said:

He didn't die from any alleged kicking, give the lead story a comprehensive read, for what that's worth. 

From the OP:

After the attack he had tried to crawl out of the neighbor's yard but had been kicked until he was badly hurt

??

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

No.  The home owner should use reasonable force to subdue the intruder not carry on kicking him to within an inch of his life.

have you never watched a horror movie where the bad guy gets up and attacks the good guy when he turns his back??

In Thailand he is likely to pull out a knife and stab you in the back.

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

I fully understand what you wrote, doesn't change 1 thing. 

If you think that the police would arrive at your call during the night you haven't got a clue of what goes on regarding the police once the sun goes down. 

Just a bunch of rubbish you have heard from a friend I guess. Have called myself 3 times. All of them after 21.00. But, you know, maybe they see a difference between me and you.

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

It has always paid off in the past back in the UK, though never had to use any violence here in Thailand.

Yes, I see everyday that Brits think it works like in UK when they are in Thailand. Probably why the news is filled of them ???? 

43 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, I see everyday that Brits think it works like in UK when they are in Thailand. Probably why the news is filled of them ???? 

I don't, I have never been threatened with violence in Thailand or even came close to it in 15 years because I never look for trouble. In the UK it is much harder to avoid trouble especially for someone like me who never takes any sh!t from anyone.