Pattaya Police and Immigration step up overstay checks and safety patrols around Pattaya

webfact

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It takes time to get worn down like this, but you can't beat the system!????

19 years for me. how about you. i'm still not worn down. lots left in the tank. 

you can't beat the system.........not with that attitude. 

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

have they honestly nothing better to do?

it would seem not..

Let´s see here now Bob. The police is looking after so they follow regulations and trying to stop violence in entertainment areas. That´s a part of their work, right? Or maybe it´s better if they just let it be, and it burns down to the ground with people dying as a result? Have you read the news? What do you think Bob?

After that they do a combined operation with immigration, who´s job is to deal with tourists and immigrants so they follow the law. Here they are checking for overstayers, who are breaking the immigration law. So, in reality, they are also doing their job. How about that, Bob?

In reality, I just believe they do not listen to you and work like you want. That must hurt a lot, right? That´s as close to a control freak you can come, huh?

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Suggestions.....?

We have a Forum that bangs on and on and on and on how Thai police do not do their jobs..... here we have them doing exactly that and people complain. They are sweeping up after Covid.....

The article states this:

"The officers also inspected the fire exits and conditions of each facility. They stressed to the operators that they must strictly comply with safety precautions such as keeping their fire exits open at all times." 

I'll bang on about this.  The fire exits should be unlocked ( which they are commonly not, I've tried many over the years). They should not be kept open!!! Huge difference! I'll keep banging on if you think this is good! What fire inspector would ever make such a stupid comment. 

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Just making room for the Chinese who will overrun the country, now that Covid is gone  and replaced by a new milder virus.

Yes, they will coming soon now that the Covid ban in China is being lifted? It may take a while but they will arriving, its a sure thing?

• Like 1

Just now, alex8912 said:

The article states this:

"The officers also inspected the fire exits and conditions of each facility. They stressed to the operators that they must strictly comply with safety precautions such as keeping their fire exits open at all times." 

I'll bang on about this.  The fire exits should be unlocked ( which they are commonly not, I've tried many over the years). They should not be kept open!!! Huge difference! I'll keep banging on if you think this is good! What fire inspector would ever make such a stupid comment. 

Yes, I have mentioned this. More of the same I say.... send spies into nightclubs to take a look at emergency exits. Far too serious to ignore. I don't really mind if they march the odd overstayer off... I would stay home if I was on overstay!

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

have they honestly nothing better to do?

it would seem not..

How would you suggest they find the overstayers & people on dodgy visas, without speaking to farang and checking passports. Or maybe you think only tourists go to pubs, clubs, walk in the streets, etc.

If you think Thai Immigration is heavy handed, you should check out the UK Immigration, they visit restaurants, etc., during opening hours and stop all the staff working to check them out, also stand inside and outside the Underground and Railway stations stopping random people from travelling until they have checked their legality.

4 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

The tourists are not objecting to safety patrols, nobody is, its great the are doing it.

The tourists are 'objecting' to being hassled by immigration whilst they are doing nothing wrong having a good time? Now certainly there may be a few folks there on overstay, but is this the right way of going about it? Real tourists are not the main problem regarding overstay?

I think its a just a PR stunt to show they are doing something?

On their database in immigration they must know who is on overstay, a simple search would bring up the perps and if they were living in Thailand as opposed to being a tourist they would have an address, TM30? Why dont they raid all these addressees, sure some may be a false address, but only one way to find out? Or have the police no interest in catching the 'real criminals'?

as usual mikeymike you are spot on. please continue to help me to educate this lot i beg you.

its bloody hard work!????

• Thanks 1

Who says the tourists are objecting, apart from the Pattaya Mail saying that there are some objections on social media. There will always be objections on social media about everything that is capable of ever being complained about. Immi has a job to do, be quiet and let them do get on with it, if you have ideas about how they might do it better, keep them to yourself, nobody is interested.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They are not 'random streets'.... I haven't had them in mine. I have never ever been asked to show my passport in Pattaya on a night out. 18 years and counting!

It happens in China, Russia, Honduras, Venezuela... lots of places. There are loads of tourists about, they seem to be handling it. 

This report seems to be more a check on the venues... personally I am pleased to see fire safety being checked... God forbid an incident like the Mountain B in town. 

China , Russia,  Venezuela   are all Communist countries, police harrasment is to be expected ,.... Thailand  is... not  (yet).!!!.....Re; safety checks , i think it would be a lot safer if   experienced  Health & Safety  people were doing the checking, as we all know what   Thai's  are like  regarding anything to do with safety, using the local   police its cheaper i suppose

22 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

I think its a just a PR stunt to show they are doing something?

There you go.... it used to happen every year before Covid.. always just before peak season. 

They might do better looking for overstayers amongst those drinking a beer for breakfast! I suspect overstayers are not doing their 90 day reports... there is nothing forcing them to... and yes they do pursue via records of where they were last living. 

All this talk, and yet I have not seen a post by someone of being harassed by police and telling us what they ask for. But thanks for the memory jog there... must take a photo of my new Extension, just in case!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Suggestions.....?

We have a Forum that bangs on and on and on and on how Thai police do not do their jobs..... here we have them doing exactly that and people complain. They are sweeping up after Covid.....

And here I was thinking it was all about the police showing symptoms of suffering from "tea" withdrawals.  ???? 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite being very unpopular among tourists, Pattaya police continued their intense crackdown on nightlife venues almost every night as a deterrent to the venues breaking regulations and violent incidents.

More unpopular with the locals I'd say.

6 hours ago, bob smith said:

what do you mean??

I thought thailand wanted tourists back here for the money.

harassing them on the streets is hardly going to make them want to come back, is it?

what is this reset you are talking about? 

the tourists are back they should be happy that they are back and spending, not treating everyone like potential criminals/overstayers...

They obviously don't want tourists or their money. Tourists should completely avoid Thailand. All this rubbish going on, club raids, closing down everything at 2-2:30am. Thailand has become a joke tourists should consider other countries more friendly to them.

• Thanks 1

I lost a passport once and it was so much hassle I'm determined it wont happen again. I have never carried mu passport when out in the evening. After 24 years of coming here on holiday and living here for 16 I have never been asked for my passport. Driving license yes, but I ride a motorbike.

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I think their charter is more based towards targeted enforcement through investigation, rather than random stops of pedestrians.   

You think! You mean, you'd like it to be that way but it isn't so you'll pretend that it could be. ????

16 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

You think! You mean, you'd like it to be that way but it isn't so you'll pretend that it could be. ????

So you don't think presence in Tree Town the other night, doing random stops, has anything to do with the current 2am crackdown?  Is that correct?

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They are not 'random streets'.... I haven't had them in mine. I have never ever been asked to show my passport in Pattaya on a night out. 18 years and counting!

It happens in China, Russia, Honduras, Venezuela... lots of places. There are loads of tourists about, they seem to be handling it. 

This report seems to be more a check on the venues... personally I am pleased to see fire safety being checked... God forbid an incident like the Mountain B in town. 

Lol what a list to be part of! 

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Similar..... when I look at the disarray around my house I realize my Thai wife has worn me down....I certainly look less critically at Thais than I used to ... must be the Stockholm syndrome! Although I doubt my thoughts on driving here will ever change. 

Well said.I'm the same???? I travel between here and Oz.I go back to Oz, my house is organized and tidy and I swear I'll never complain about Aussie drivers again. When I get back here, I have somehow learned to dismiss the disarray of the house,[Maybe it IS the Stockholm syndrome ????].The driving still does my head in though even after 20 years???? Maybe that can be explained by the continual change from decent driving to bedlam.

Edited by findlay13
  • Like 1