Square or Small rectangular holes in hard plastic material

node

I have a small project and would like to know, where in Bangkok one can find an individual or company that can put small circle, square and rectangular holes into hard plastic type material?

I have the template, require an individual or company that does such a job for an electronic project. I reckon one that works great with a Dremel or another machine that does this. Thanks.

If it is a circular hole and the material is not too thick, then an ordinary drill should do the job. Maybe people will be able to do that.

If it's a square, and especially a small square, then things are more difficult.

And then it's of course important how accurate that must be. 

Maybe show us a picture and tell us a little more what you want to do.

There are (5) circular holes of various sizes. Those I can handle.

(1) square hole 10mm x 10mm

(1) rectangle hole 5mm wide  x 36mm long

(1) rectangle hole 12mm wide x 54mm long 

The Material is hard plastic, no more that 2mm thick. 

I am considering buying a "hot knife" by Lazada the kind that plug into the house outlet and set the temperature, them cut through this material.  

4 hours ago, node said:

I am considering buying a "hot knife" by Lazada the kind that plug into the house outlet and set the temperature, them cut through this material.  

I would do it with drills and rasps.

I.e. for 2) drill several 5mm holes straight next to each other and then use a file to make it a rectangular hole.

Then I looked in YouTube to find a video and I was surprised what I found. It seems there are also special tools available to do this task. But then again, would it make sense to buy these tools for 3 little holes? Probably not.

4 hours ago, node said:

Try a 3D printer? They are quite cheap these days.

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Try a 3D printer? They are quite cheap these days.

Instead of drilling and filing 3 little holes in 2mm plastic? Really?

How long will it take an average user to learn how to use a 3D printer and create exactly the part which he needs with design software?

Sure, it's possible. But IMHO totally inefficient.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Instead of drilling and filing 3 little holes in 2mm plastic? Really?

How long will it take an average user to learn how to use a 3D printer and create exactly the part which he needs with design software?

Sure, it's possible. But IMHO totally inefficient.

It doesn't take long. They are a commodity item these days (a few hundred dollars) and you can just program them and leave them to work. The learning curve is not great. One benefit is accuracy.

Edited by ozimoron

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

It doesn't take long. They are a commodity item these days (a few hundred dollars) and you can just program them and leave them to work. The learning curve is not great. One benefit is accuracy.

I have a 3D printer, a Prusa i3 MK3S+, and I used Autodesk Fusion 360 to design some parts.

If someone uses the 3D printer and software already for some time, then it's not difficult anymore. But IMHO it takes some time to learn the basics, learn about tolerances, etc.

Great info all. I did a search as well and saw a thread here with a chap asking for small CNC cutting services here. 

Also noted, many CNC / Router services here big & small.

Firstly will try a hand flexible cord tool and a very small plastic cutter. This should cut the Square & Rectangular. 

Just as a matter of interest also, those looking for Electronic parts in BKK, and looking to step out, try "Ban Mo" Electronic market. There are a few mail in companies which are good, but at the market you get a hands on to know what you are buying, plus most will communicate with you on LINE app, to confirm they got what you would want. 

9 minutes ago, node said:

Just as a matter of interest also, those looking for Electronic parts in BKK, and looking to step out, try "Ban Mo" Electronic market. There are a few mail in companies which are good, but at the market you get a hands on to know what you are buying, plus most will communicate with you on LINE app, to confirm they got what you would want. 

I used to go a lot to Ban Moh and it is definitely a very interesting experience.

The problem over there is that sometime I run around for an hour trying to find something and maybe it was right in the counter in the shop but they didn't know it was there or maybe they didn't understand me.

Then I started to order parts online more and more and now I go only seldom to that area.

Online is easy to search, easy to compare and easy to order. And in Bangkok the delivery is normally within 2 days or so. At least for me that is mostly fast enough.

Is this a one off or are you likely to create more? If the latter, look on Lazada for a mini CNC. I have one that also has a laser engraver head. Useful for tasks like this unless it is a one-off whereby you'll spend a lot more time on setup than you will actually making anything.

I think it's funny to read all the advice here.

3D printer, CNC machines, laser cutter - and all to make three little holes in 2mm plastic.

Maybe I am getting too old for all this, but a few years ago, before all those devices, people did that kind of job with hand tools in a few minutes.

Stahl-feilen.jpg