UK: Significant disruption as Rail strikes begin and freezing weather continues.

As the UK taxpayers will pay for any pay rises, I think they should include the average salaries for each of the services (Train drivers, border force, etc) so we can decide if we sympathise or not. 

A google search brings up a 50-60k per year (without overtime) salary for a UK train driver. That shocked me.

On 12/13/2022 at 2:09 PM, MRToMRT said:

As the UK taxpayers will pay for any pay rises, I think they should include the average salaries for each of the services (Train drivers, border force, etc) so we can decide if we sympathise or not. 

A google search brings up a 50-60k per year (without overtime) salary for a UK train driver. That shocked me.

Shall we add rail company executives to that?

How about the executives of companies in receipt of Government contracts, perhaps those in receipt of contracts from the NHS mandated by Government and security firms handed Border Force contracts by Government?

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Shall we add rail company executives to that?

How about the executives of companies in receipt of Government contracts, perhaps those in receipt of contracts from the NHS mandated by Government and security firms handed Border Force contracts by Government?

Yes, we should.

And union leaders.

And those who are on high salaries are employed by the government.

Don't forget, a below inflation pay rise is a real terms payout. Your words.

Care to suggest at what salary level one should be at to be excerpted from this pay rise debate?

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Yes, we should.

And union leaders.

And those who are on high salaries are employed by the government.

Don't forget, a below inflation pay rise is a real terms payout. Your words.

Care to suggest at what salary level one should be at to be excerpted from this pay rise debate?

As I said in one of the other threads on the subject of industrial action.

I’m all in favour of working people joining unions to increase the power they have when negotiating for better pay and conditions.

I favour every working person being allowed to pursue the best pay and conditions they can achieve.

On 12/13/2022 at 2:09 PM, MRToMRT said:

Border Force, absolute <deleted> joke, don't deserve <deleted> all!