Morocco dream over as France set up potentially classic final with Argentina on Sunday

webfact

image.jpeg

SPONSORED BY

HEMINGWAYS JOMTIEN

by Rooster | ASEAN NOW

The second semi-final at the World Cup concluded in the early hours of this morning Thai time with a 2-0 victory for France over Morocco.

Morocco were looking to be the first African nation to make the final but an early goal by Hernandez and a late strike from substitute Kolo Muani after good work from Kylian Mbappe ended their hopes.

The largely Moroccan crowd at Al Bayt Stadium was left to rue what might have been - along with the nationals of many other nations who saw their teams fall by the wayside in Qatar over the last 3 weeks.

Morocco had their chances and might have been awarded a first half penalty, but in the end it is France who will play Argentina in the final at 10 pm Thai time on Sunday.

image.jpeg

It should be a classic match with odds on the Betfair exchange at even money the pair. 

It is being billed as Lionel Messi - in his final World Cup - against Mbappe. Both nations are multiple winners of the trophy but France would become the first nation to retain the title if they won.

FvM.jpg

Last night's game was not a classic but featured two stellar performances from Man-of-the-Match Sofyan Amrabat of Morocco and the brilliant French midfielder Antoine Griezmann.

Morocco will take on Croatia for the 3rd/4th Place on Saturday at 10pm Thai time. 

French coach Didier Deschamps captained Les Bleus to victory in 1998 and now has the chance for a second victory as coach, third overall, to add to that triumph. 

Messi will bow out on Sunday but who's to say that the multiple Ballon D'Or winner will not have the last laugh.

In Golden Boot betting on Betfair Messi is 4-5 and Mbappe about 6-4.

Both have five goals but Messi leads with three assists breaking the tie. 

Messi was instrumental earlier as Argentina beat Croatia 3-0 in the other simi-final. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-15

It’s already an amazing run to reach the semi-final for Morocco. Hope they don’t lose heart and play to win 3rd placing with the same desire and hunger. 3rd placing in the World Cup will capped an historic achievement for a representative of the underdogs. Asia is all behind Morocco to win over Croatia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I could care less about any sport but I'm hoping that Argentina win.

?? So you can care less... So you care about football a more than other things ??

Or...  you ‘couldn’t care less’...  (its not possible to care any less than you already do)...  

I think this is an ‘American vs English English’ difference of the phrase - ‘could care less’ never made much sense to me...

Anyway...  IF you ‘couldn’t care any less [than you already do]’.... How is there ‘any hope at all for anything’... you don’t care at all.. and can’t care any less... right ?

54 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Two reasons, France won last time and Messi has never won a world cup. It would be a fitting end to a stellar career.

Would be nice to see a great take home the one trophy which has eluded him..... 

I’m completely on the fence on this one... and would like to see the team which plays the best football win. I just hope the game is not spoiled by some poor refereeing.

The standards of referring has been atrocious at this WC (IMO) - that Ref in the Netherlands-Argentina match should never be permitted to step foot on a pitch again...  The Ref in the England France Match was just as poor and inconsistent. 

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I could care less about any sport but I'm hoping that Argentina win. Two reasons, France won last time and Messi has never won a world cup. It would be a fitting end to a stellar career.

if you care about Messi then you do care about sport ????

3 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

The first country to retain the Title?????? WRONG! It was Italy !934/1938 and then Brazil !970/1974. Does Rooster only think football started 5 years ago? Clearly Rooster has not watched much football over the years.

The last double was 1962...  (West Germany won in 1974).

“France will be the first country to retain the World Cup title in 60 years"...   

• 3 months later...