Use of 90 Day extension

Hi All,

Prior to Covid my wife and I both had 12 Month Visa Purpose Retirement on basis of Funds in Thai Banks - based in Chiang Mai.

Funds are still there and have been continually.

I want to visit Thailand to deal with some points that may need more than the present 45 day Waiver.

Can we enter early coming January and organise simply for a 90 extension with intention to be leaving at end of that period.

Reasoning is that we would return circa September to try for the 12 Month Visa Purpose Retirement once more - so that renewal always comes December  time - every year.

Timing fits with visits to families etc.

Best Regards and good Christmas to one and all.

nope you cannot. Your options are

Option 1 - Enter on a visa exempt entry (which until Mar 31st is for 45 days) take the 30 day extension, then if you need more time bounce out and back in to get a NEW 45 day visa exempt entry 
OR
Option 2 - get a tourist visa from the thai consulate in your country BEFORE you wing your way here get stamped in for 60 days and take the 30 day extension for 1900baht

There is no "get a 90 day extension" etc available to you and it doesn't make sense that you'd get an in country 90 day visa once you arrive only to leave without getting the year extension. Just wait until next year and time it so your renewals are when you're here (like you plan too) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, allane said:

Sure, no problem.

I believe that is not quite correct ???? There is no way for them to arrange a 90 day extension in country on an expired yearly extension of stay, AND they don't wanna start the Non-O visa acquisition process because the renewal date will not coincide to the time they plan to be here every year

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another option is to convert to a Non-O which will give them 90-days; however, one must apply at least 15 days prior to the end of your permission to stay (21 days in some locations such as Chiangmai) and be aware the 90-day time period will begin on or a few days after the date they apply for the conversion to a Non-O.

If all they should need is a total of 90 days, options #1 or #2 as mentioned by the poster above would work and involve less hassle. 

Edited by CMBob

17 hours ago, factseeker said:

I want to visit Thailand to deal with some points that may need more than the present 45 day Waiver.

Thinking given your plan is to enter visa exempt (45) early Jan then you should do a border run just prior to expiry.

Turn around and reenter visa exempt for another 45 day stamp.

That's 90 days and you still have option of obtaining 30 day extension is required. 

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 4:25 PM, factseeker said:

Hi All,

Prior to Covid my wife and I both had 12 Month Visa Purpose Retirement on basis of Funds in Thai Banks - based in Chiang Mai.

Funds are still there and have been continually.

Can we enter early coming January and organise simply for a 90 extension with intention to be leaving at end of that period.

Reasoning is that we would return circa September to try for the 12 Month Visa Purpose Retirement once more - so that renewal always comes December  time - every year.

Timing fits with visits to families etc.

Best Regards and good Christmas to one and all.

The OP has asked two questions:

1. Can he and his wife come in January for 90 days ?

2.  Can they return in Sept. to start the 12 mo. visa for the purpose of Retirement ?

The answers are "yes" and "yes".  I see nothing in his post to indicate that he is somehow trying to get some sort of pre-approval for their 12 mo. Retirement, or that he is seeking a 19 mo. Retirement Visa/Extension. Nor are they seeking to stay continuously fro January to September.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2022 at 1:57 AM, allane said:

2.  Can they return in Sept. to start the 12 mo. visa for the purpose of Retirement ?

The answers are "yes" and "yes".  I see nothing in his post to indicate that he is somehow trying to get some sort of pre-approval for their 12 mo. Retirement, or that he is seeking a 19 mo. Retirement Visa/Extension. Nor are they seeking to stay continuously fro January to September.

Hi,

Your summary is exactly correct..

From what has been stated above it would seem to be that a Visa run at the 45 day mark will be involved - long time since had to do one of those - I got lazy.  ;o))

But thnxs to all responses - like to be 'organised.

Use this opportunity to wish one and all a Happy New Year - heres hoping.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, allane said:

The first question was can he get an extension from immigration (after a visa exempt entry) to extend his and his wife's stay to 90 days. The answer is no. Doing a conversion to a Non O would be possible, but could end up causing complications in September when they really want to do this. Immigration hates going through the complicated (for them) process of the conversion on the basis of retirement and then have you turn around and say "never mind".