Phuket Immigration announces results of their recent overstay crackdown

webfact

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Phuket will never be crime free  there are more native criminals then Foreign criminals.

Obviously, native criminals can't be 'on overstay'. I heard, there are much worse crimes commited on Phuket than 6-day overstays... ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much

15 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes! But only the bl***y foreigners in Thailand, 3 or 4 days on overstay, while the illegal Thai immigrants in South Korea, etc., are affectionately called 'little ghosts' by Thais... ????

Surely that is the other countries problems and it is up to them to sort it out. I dont see how this is applicable to Thailand.

• Like 2

So with plane loads of Russians arriving daily and surely some of the younger men especially not wanting to end up in the military how many of them will overstay and take their chances with Thai police rather than with Putin's police? And of course those with wives, kids, girlfriends will likely want everyone to stay in Thailand well past the expiration date of visas?

My guess is there are going to be a LOT MORE of overstays coming up as visas expire.

Do Russians get 60 day tourist visas or how long are they stamped in for?

5 hours ago, Homburg said:

A laudable objective and catching a 63-year-old American for a truly despicable eight days of overstaying shows that they are well on their way!  A magnificent achievement guys. Any chance of some branch of law enforcement tackling the local criminals ripping off the law-abiding tourists?  No, thought not.

That would mean actual "police work"?????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

That is the normal process, they exclude one day overstays -- but two days you would have had to pay a fine.  The reason why they do this I believe is because people very often make the mistake of their calculation not realizing both the arrival and departure days are part of the 30 days (i.e. they start counting at 1 as of tomorrow from date of arrival rather than the day of arrival).

How can the date of arrival and the day of arrival differ ?

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

think I've been that long on an overstay waiting for the same bureau to process my retirement extension  !

All "retirement" extensions I've had have been processed (and stamps added to passport) while sitting in front of the IO, in three locations (Tak, Phitsanulok and Phetchabun), only once been asked to come back after lunch, because an Australian was arguing with the senior officer as to what the requirements were, and couldn't get sign-off on my application.

Sure your delay wasn't caused by an agent?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

t – Phuket Immigration recently launched what they called the ‘White Accommodation for Foreigners’ project targeting for ‘Phuket to be Crime Free’. The project mainly focuses on foreigners being properly registered at their accomodation and not on overstay.

Means: only foreigners do CRIME!!!! Phuket to be CRIME Free!!!

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

Surprised no one commented on this:

"...and 117 foreigners were fined for not properly registering their accomodation."

I thought it's the owner's responsibility to register the lodger, and that the owner gets fined if that is not done.

I wondered the same thing maybe both have yo do seperately and the

foreigners never.

Also that American..how on earth did immigration know he was on overstay?

It can only  have been a few days after his due date as they had been looking form him.

Maybe someone has had something aginst the guy and reported him?

11 hours ago, arick said:

You messed up your flight cancellation????? 

"London Louf" by his own admission doesn't speak Thai, and I suspect you don't read English! ???? :-

"Well, I messed up my flight calculations......"

Possibly you made a deliberate typo, ( "You messed up your flight cancellation?????)  but if so a smiley emoticon would have made your intention clearer!)

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Obviously, native criminals can't be 'on overstay'. I heard, there are much worse crimes commited on Phuket than 6-day overstays... ????

Doesn't matter it's about accusing foreigners for crimes.

They don't mention Natives crimes.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Homburg said:

A laudable objective and catching a 63-year-old American for a truly despicable eight days of overstaying shows that they are well on their way!  A magnificent achievement guys. Any chance of some branch of law enforcement tackling the local criminals ripping off the law-abiding tourists?  No, thought not.

????????????????

3 hours ago, Tanlic said:

Also that American..how on earth did immigration know he was on overstay?

It can only  have been a few days after his due date as they had been looking form him.

They called my friend up and told him to report for a 10 day "overstay". Was clerical error, but they had a report for arrest issued the same day the "overstay" was fixed. 2 days later is when they called.

Edited by Peabody

Looks like, on the first working day of the week, they print a stack of miscreants' data with immi pics, passport pics, TM30, phone number, visa copy, and number of days overstay, then work through them throughout the week. Of course, low-hanging fruit first - like, call and tell them to turn themselves in!!  ????

Edited by Peabody

13 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Just six? They didn't look hard enough. More lightly whipped than crackdown. And why would someone on just an 8 day overstay be lying low in a room to hide from immigration. I smell something and it ain't good. 

ah, but they nailed 117 for not listing accomodations correctly (yet only 8 landlord/hotels fined)

plus 15 for  Ed and volunteer visas sold by their buddies (no agents fined).

11 hours ago, verticalift said:

I’d kinda like to see the Excited States of America’s Immigration and Border Patrol take the same stand.

Can you imagine if Thailand were as complacent and irresponsible as the Excited States…..

...or the other way round for that matter. 

(What would be great IMO.)

Note: Never ridicule the efforts of the Thai people to keep their country for themselves. 

15 minutes ago, Bill de Burgh said:

...or the other way round for that matter. 

(What would be great IMO.)

Note: Never ridicule the efforts of the Thai people to keep their country for themselves. 

Spot on mate , anybody making negative comments about this should look at their own country's pathetic attempt at controlling unwanted or illegal immigration.  These guys have a job to do ,  and they do it .

U.K border force could learn a lot from them ,  

8 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

How can the date of arrival and the day of arrival differ ?

perhaps if the time of arrival is close to midnight and by the time you get past immigration it is the following day. The IO may not have changed the date stamp so you actually got stamped in at the arrival day, and not the day you came through the IO.