Phuket Immigration announces results of their recent overstay crackdown

webfact

16 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

That is the normal process, they exclude one day overstays -- but two days you would have had to pay a fine.  The reason why they do this I believe is because people very often make the mistake of their calculation not realizing both the arrival and departure days are part of the 30 days (i.e. they start counting at 1 as of tomorrow from date of arrival rather than the day of arrival).

I think that the reason is because sometimes flights are delayed and that would put some people on an overstay and it would be quite unfair for fine them for that , land borders do fine you if you overstay for one day 

16 hours ago, verticalift said:

I’d kinda like to see the Excited States of America’s Immigration and Border Patrol take the same stand.

Can you imagine if Thailand were as complacent and irresponsible as the Excited States…..

yes, I can. Thai immigration used to care less about overstays 20 years ago.  No bans, blacklists , just pay the overstay fee turn around and comeback in, no issues. The immigration officers would joke with you about it. Of course they were all happy they are pocketing the overstay fees. 

On 12/17/2022 at 3:21 AM, timendres said:

enough said

No, it´s not enough at all. You just took half sentence out of context. I will help you understand. Here you have the full meaning.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:30 AM, webfact said:

We are aiming to control foreigners who are staying and living in Phuket to make sure that they are being registered properly to Immigration for their accomodation and not on overstay

The reason is that you must register your address with immigration, and to make sure you do not overstay.. You know, all within the Thai immigration law. Suddenly you got the full picture! Enlightened? 

15 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, it´s not enough at all. You just took half sentence out of context. I will help you understand. Here you have the full meaning.

The reason is that you must register your address with immigration, and to make sure you do not overstay.. You know, all within the Thai immigration law. Suddenly you got the full picture! Enlightened? 

No - can't find my rose-coloured glasses

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 1:13 AM, 4MyEgo said:

So foreigners on overstay are criminals, hmmm, what do we call the high % of immigration officers taking cash in lieu of those foreigners applying for their extensions not having the correct amount of money in the bank for their extension, (no have), my pen rye 20,000 baht ok, and of course the cops turning a blind eye to traffic infringements for tea money.

Who are the criminals, not Thailand's finest, give me a break, this is nothing but a total deflection from the real criminals, hmmm, wonder who that could be ????

As a overstay is according the Thai law a criminal offense they are technically criminals ????

On 12/17/2022 at 5:35 AM, JimmyJ said:

Surprised no one commented on this:

"...and 117 foreigners were fined for not properly registering their accomodation."

I thought it's the owner's responsibility to register the lodger, and that the owner gets fined if that is not done.

Indeed interesting as it is the responsibility of the hotel/ landlord to do the registration and not the tourist.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, merijn said:

As a overstay is according the Thai law a criminal offense they are technically criminals ????

One would think common sense would prevail, as a criminal offence should depend on the length of overstay and whether it was a 1st offence. As an example:

1. Joe from the UK was caught on a weeks overstay, Joe was told he has a week to depart Thailand, Joe was not find and departed within the week he was given. No criminal offense was recorded and Joe could return to Thailand after a year.

2. Joe did not depart and was caught 2 years later, Joe was fined 200,000 baht, i.e. 100,000 baht for each year, Joe could not pay the fine and was sentenced to 2 years jail, then deported upon his release. A criminal offense was recorded and Joe could not return to Thailand for at least 10 years.

3A. Joe was caught 1st time on 2 years overstay, Joe was fined 200,000 baht, paid it while in detention and departed Thailand from detention within a week. A criminal offense was recorded and Joe could not return to Thailand for at least 5 years. 

3B. Joe did not have the funds and was sentenced to 2 years jail and then deported upon release. A criminal offense was recorded and Joe could not return to Thailand for at least 10 years. 

My sister-in-law was 3 weeks overstay in Australia, she was given a weeks notice to depart, no fine and she departed, banned for 3 years though.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

One would think common sense would prevail, as a criminal offence should depend on the length of overstay and whether it was a 1st offence. As an example:

1. Joe from the UK was caught on a weeks overstay, Joe was told he has a week to depart Thailand, Joe was not find and departed within the week he was given. No criminal offense was recorded and Joe could return to Thailand after a year.

2. Joe did not depart and was caught 2 years later, Joe was fined 200,000 baht, i.e. 100,000 baht for each year, Joe could not pay the fine and was sentenced to 2 years jail, then deported upon his release. A criminal offense was recorded and Joe could not return to Thailand for at least 10 years.

3A. Joe was caught 1st time on 2 years overstay, Joe was fined 200,000 baht, paid it while in detention and departed Thailand from detention within a week. A criminal offense was recorded and Joe could not return to Thailand for at least 5 years. 

3B. Joe did not have the funds and was sentenced to 2 years jail and then deported upon release. A criminal offense was recorded and Joe could not return to Thailand for at least 10 years. 

My sister-in-law was 3 weeks overstay in Australia, she was given a weeks notice to depart, no fine and she departed, banned for 3 years though.

But now you say something unrealistic, Common sense in Thailand ????

• Haha 1