British woman breaks nearly every bone in face in Thailand

webfact

Distraught family need to raise £50,000 for woman's medical bills after Thailand scooter crash
By Adam Smith, Wolverhampton

A Wolverhampton social worker on the holiday of a lifetime will spend Christmas in a Thailand hospital after suffering a catastrophic scooter crash.

image.jpeg

Jo Hoffman smashed every bone in her face and broke her spine in four places during the crash and now desperately needs £50,000 to pay for vital treatment needed to recover.

The 28-year-old's frantic family back home can only wait for sporadic updates about Jo's health as she lies in agony in her hospital bed wondering if there will be enough money for her next procedure.

Geneva Hoffman, from the Merry Hill area of the city, has launched a Gofundme page to raise money for the spiralling medical bills after her sister's credit card travel insurance did not cover medical bills.

She told the Express & Star: "The whole family is so upset, my parents are really struggling not being able to see Jo and knowing she is suffering so far away.

"She will be in hospital for Christmas and we don't know when she will be getting back home because she might have to stay until the medical bills are paid off, it is a nightmare."

She said: "Jo has been looking forward to this holiday for so long, she has taken time away from her career for the first time ever and was going to New Zealand after Thailand.

Full story: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/wolverhampton/2022/12/17/distraught-family-need-to-raise-50000-for-wolverhampton-womans-medical-bills-after-sickening-thailand-scooter-crash/

-- © Copyright Express & Star 2022-12-17

22 minutes ago, Elkski said:

So she thought her credit card has medical travel  insurance.  I guess some do.  

My CCs had medical/travel insurance, though never read the 'fine print'.  Don't know if it covered 'stupidity' or 'high risk' activities.  Even my debit cards have coverage, again, never read the fine print.

Obviously she didn't spring for 'motorcycle riding/passenger' waiver with her travel insurance.  And yet, hopped on one  ... driven by ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Taking time away from her career at 28?  They mean she quit?

Sounds serious and bad for her, but ignorance or lack of awareness of her insurance seems a poor excuse. 

Hope she gets sufficient donations sorry, I will not be making one.

Taking time away from her career at 28?  They mean she quit?

not at all, many organisations offer career break opportunities to staff. indeed, it often has the opposite effect, prevents staff from quitting.