British woman breaks nearly every bone in face in Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, Mino said:

Few years ago I need to be hospitalised and before can go in, they ask me 10,000 THB cash deposit and to check my insurance. Of course it was not a government hospital.

Same here (Private Hospital) I was rushed to the Emergency Room (on a suspected heart attack) and they connected the heart monitor and IV. Almost Immediately a Woman from Insurance department came and asked my wife for 30k THB. When my wife presented my insurance card and they got the go-ahead from the insurance.

Total bill, with 1 night stay was over 60k THB incl a "stress test" etc etc the following day (insurance paid it all)

Edited by MJCM
  • Thanks 1

Once again no bike license and a helmet otherwise  her bones will not be broken.Health insurance that is another issue she forgot,leave it to the family and the go fund me page please help.sister had a accident we need lots of money to pay bills.Let others to pay the bills because they will feel sorry for her.No way she will be another stat on accidents and no health insurance

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roo860 said:

She was a passenger 

But still not covered by insurance, always check that you are covered before sitting on a motorbike in Thailand – and especially on Koh Samui – even when riding pillion.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

sorry should i have posted being on a m/cycle.

the post was generic to all the posts that appear on here about being on a m/cycle with either no insurance, or not being covered by the insurance they do hold, or not having a licence, i would think it was not a very good helmet or was unfastened, Koh Samui is high on the list of places for m/cycle crashes.

As has been mentioned on here before, I don't think travel insurance covers us for medical bills incurred from motorcycle accidents, even if we do have a licence. Would probably be the same for things like water-skiing or diving etc, unless specified on the policy.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Sorry..my bad 

I believe foreign embassies should alter their warnings list..

#1 Don't ride on a motorbike on Thai roads (driver or pillion) under any circumstances 

These young dumdums have no clue on the amount of tomfoolery that happens on Thai roads

From the arrival it’s clear that she’s a 28 year old professional, not sure how you twist that into ‘These  young dumdums....’

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, smedly said:

patch her up so she is able to fly, she doesn't need everthing done here in Thailand

I dare say that she is not certified as 'fit to fly', being a requirement.  She has spinal injuries as well.  No airline would accept.  Also liability and cost issues.  She cannot sit on a regular seat so cannot accommodate her.  A chartered jet for medivac would be needed once she is stable enough and as her insurance claim has been rejected the costs would be extreme. 

Only choice is to get her to reach a level of medical improvement in Thailand where she can safely travel on a regular airline seat back to her country, which is what the goal would of course be. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And if you know that then you can ride accordingly.

It's like all those typical driver excuses: I had this accident because it was raining... 

Not even knowing that helps on Samui.

It's a deadly mofo of a place on a bike

• Like 2