British woman breaks nearly every bone in face in Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, rankric said:

Social workers have a rough time seeing a lot of unfortunate situations. At 28 just after a pandemic i completely understand the need to take a break

Yes, those social workers and the way that they're forced to become social workers. 

The statutory minimum 5.6 weeks' holiday isn't enough for a healthy, young woman?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

8 hours ago, webfact said:

She told the Express & Star: "The whole family is so upset, my parents are really struggling not being able to see Jo and knowing she is suffering so far away.

Sympathy which I have for the tourist aside, I ask who's fault is this.

Did the parents raise their 28 year old daughter the right way, she is now an adult and any adult who decides I'm going on holidays without the correct licenses that my insurer requires will end up in this predicament.

Unfortunately she has placed an enormous burden on her family by her own doing, there is no one else to blame except her for her own actions, yes I might come across as harsh, but that said, I practise what I preach, e.g. I told my step sons when they turned 18 and wanted to buy motorbikes, that the medical insurance that they fall under with the family cover will only cover them if they have a riders license, wear a helmet and do not drink, speed etc etc. 

One of the boys still hasn't got a number plate for his new bike (6 months now), he also removed the mirrors from the bike, the other didn't bother getting his riders license and doesn't want to wear a helmet, I did provide them with a months notice that if the number plate wasn't sorted and the mirrors put back on the bike that I would remove him from the insurance policy (12,000 baht a year), the other was told that if he didn't get a rider's license within that month and wear a helmet, he would also be removed from the policy, that said, the policy is now reduced by 24,000 baht a year.

Before all of you keyboard warriors pounce, this was discussed with the wife before hand, i.e. honey this is what I am planning, what are your thoughts, yes I agree she said and if they end up in hospital, that is on them, I will not run to them or go to their funerals because we did not raise them to be irresponsible, since I cancelled them from the policy, she also banned them from coming over until such a time that one bike has the plate on it and the mirrors are back on it and the other is licensed to ride the bike and wears a helmet.

We don't raise kids in this household to be a burden upon us, we raise them to be responsible citizens, now if they want to go the other way, well there is a price you pay for that.

Good luck with GoFundMe, a site I wouldn't contribute too and hope she makes a full recovery and learns from her misfortune, if one can call it that.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roo860 said:

Open face helmet I would guess, full face for me, regardless of weather or distance to travel, but that's my choice. On many occasions seen foreigners with chin straps that lose won't help in a accident. 

Serious question, would a full face helmet actually have helped in this situation?  I thought those were mostly to keep bugs and debris away?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VinnieK said:

License? Lol

She probably never rode a scooter, let alone have a license.

Amazing that people who don't seem to be able to even decipher an article would post their unnecessary comment here.....btw she was the passenger not the driver....check it?

• Like 2

'I don't think travel insurance covers us for medical bills incurred from motorcycle accidents, even if we do have a licence.' 

Not correct, it varies depending on the policies 'Exclusions'. I have been visiting Thailand for 15+ years, riding bikes all the time and have checked many policies before choosing mine:-

- Some do not allow any bike riding, licence or not. 

- Some require a home licence for mbike and often with an IDP. 

- Some restrict engine size, usually under 125cc

- Some will not cover if a passenger and the driver is unlicensed, or drunk. This can be a problem in Thailand when using MB Taxis. 

I suspect that this last exclusion may be the one they are using to avoid payment. 

Edited by biggles45
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:
57 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As a passenger, why should she?

Interesting point. If a pillion passenger was fully insured in their own right but, unbeknown to them, the rider (driver) was unlicenced would their (the pillion passengers) insurance refuse to pay out? 

in this case, there's no way she wouldn't have known.

41 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

She claims the hospital said her insurance was ' invalid ' if she had been insured the term would have been ' not covered '

Simply being a passenger on a bike could have been enough to invalidate any associated claims, it is not an indication that there was no policy.

41 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

she is claiming to have some form of insurance but told her insurance was invalid. If insured, the term would be ' not covered ' Insurance is usually invalid if you haven't paid the premium.

...or if the policy conditions haven't been complied with, that is enough to invalidate the policy.

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i reckon no helmet is more likely which might be why any health insurance she had was invalid. Also no licence or alcohol would make it invalid, even riding pillion has to be checked on insurance to ensure it's included

Indeed, one needs to be sure riding a m'bike is included on travel insurance if going to ride in LOS.

Seems so many leave their brains behind when getting on a plane.

When I visited Had Rin for the FMP usually saw farangs bandaged up from falling off m'bikes on the road over the hill.

One accident I saw involved a farang family trying to ride m'bikes on the mud road north on east coast of Phangan. Mum, who may never have ridden a m'bike in her life had ridden off the road into the undergrowth! Luckily for her it appeared the only injury was to her dignity.

I figured out when I started riding big bikes that in a crash my jaw would probably be broken if not shattered. So I opted for a full face helmet for safety that cost 600 dollars. Well worth the money.

Young and invincible, and caught out by the insurance companies crafty exclusions. Sand or wet leaves on a bend are an accident waiting to happen, and part time riders have no clue of this danger. Very sad she took the brunt of the accident, and on her face. At least she lived to continue her life.

• Like 1

My credit card covered purchases and medical issues that arose during travel if it was related to an item paid for via the credit card, e.g. buy a plane ticket, hire a car or MC, be legally licensed and have an accident and not at fault and no laws broken then medical costs were covered. 

The CC doesn't cover you for travel injuries obtained when associated with an event not related to the primary CC purchase e.g hire an MC and pay cash then my CC wouldn't cover me for any accident or injury.

She should move to a lower cost public hospital , the private ones will bleed her dry. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

The rental people do not give a toss to previous experience licence insurance .

Some do care.

This is a cropped version of the flyer for the rental company that I recommend to guests (after I have warned them of the dangers on Samui's roads).

1930586021_Ianrental2.thumb.jpg.05ea3b163512c2cb9043366e9ae02c0b.jpg

41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The OP does state who the rider was.  It, and a following report, have links to where the article came from.

The BBC article states the couple hired a moto and also that her boyfriend was not seriously hurt in the crash. Putting two and two together he must have been the rider (driver). Unless they were three up!