CM IO says no visa needed for long term retirement stay.

Thursday I did a border hop in order to void my Non OA. The hop was uneventful and amazing easy to do (thanks to the help from the experts on this forum). The next day I had an appointment at CM immigration to obtain a Non O visa using a TM87. I had all the required forms and bank documents, etc. So I foolishly thought that for the "first time" I would complete the transaction without delay. But the IO said the TM87 was the wrong form.  A TM7 was the correct form. I pointed out that I entered visa exempt. So I was using the TM87 to obtain a Non O visa. He said no visa is needed for a long term retirement stay. I only had to extend the "expiration of stay date" stamped in my passport. So needed a TM7.
Knowing that one must respect an IO's authority, I politely asked for all my forms to be returned to me.
I have an appointment on 5 January to try again. 
Is the IO correct? No need for any visa. Just meet the financial requirements. And use a TM7 annually
to stay retired in Thailand until I'm dead.

I think lopburi3 is correct the IO saw the Non OA and assumed TM7 required. I may have made a mistake
in the way I showed him the entry stamp. I was not subtle enough? I think he lost face. 
When I return I'll have both TM87 and TM7 filled out.

• Like 1

When I returned from UK last Aug. I was given 30 day visa exempt. I/O at SVB saw my old, (expired) Non 0 retirement and said she coudl only give me a 30 day.  

I took passport to local I/O, Phayao when doing TM30 after arriving home, and asked I/O there if I could convert Visa exempt to Non O for retirement.

he took my details and made a copy of my passport and gave me an appointment to return in 7 days, with bank statements etc. as per usual Retirement extension.  On return she had forms filled out ready and with no fuss I was given a 90 day non O and told to come back and do an extension as usual.  Charge for this was 10,000 Baht (for services)  2000 B for visa and 8,000B for filling in the right forms.  I have no objection to paying this as it was getting my visa with minimum trouble.

Returned as I was told, and 365 day Non O Retirement visa extension granted.  Again a fee for services on top of visa fee, but, so what, I now have my visa  with no trouble, and I/O is happy.

I got he impression that the change from visa exempt entry to Non O w s a standard procedure, though I have never done so before.  Only did it this ime as getting a Non O from RTE London was too complicated to want to bother with.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Robin said:

I got he impression that the change from visa exempt entry to Non O w s a standard procedure, though I have never done so before

Some time back the non O retirement obtained in places such as UK had insurance requirement for 90 days.

Entering visa exempt and then obtaining non O retirement inside Thailand does not require insurance and became for some a good option. 

Even moreso with the 45 day stamp. 

Edited by DrJack54