Indonesia’s foreign retirees fear being driven out as new visa scheme targets ‘filthy rich’

webfact

There are plenty of people that do not have this amount of cash that they can transfer to an Indonesian bank but have a sizeable pension or other income. Why exclude those people?

Also people who can deposit $128,000 are not necessarily going to spend any more than those who can only afford $50,000.

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

This merely demonstrates that 'they've done it before, maybe they do it again' at some point in the future.

It's the most short sighted legislation change I've heard of since the sex ban was announced a few weeks back.

Why would anyone with say just $250k sign up for this scheme when they might double or triple it at any moment and kick everyone out.

Unless they permanently 'grandfather in' all existing retirees then I suspect Indonesia will become a no go place for retirees due to irrational rule changes. Nobody who's doing their due dilligence can fail to notice this.

To sum it up - once the mass exodus begins they will either revert this change or suffer the consequences.

My thoughts exactly. Lets hope that Thailand learns from this spectacular failure by Indonesia and doesn't get the same idea of increasing the retirement requirements. 

• Like 2

Retiree economic refugees can study the option of moving to places like Srilanka or Pakistan. Both countries are now struggling with debts and exchange rate of local currency very favourable. Downside is no alcohol in Pakistan and poor girls in both countries are not easy..

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

Really? Leaving £20,000 in a Thai bank for the so called privilege of living in a third world country. I don't call that a Joke...

Then I guess it´s too expensive, and Thailand is not for you. No problem, just go ahead and leave it to the ones who can accept it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

Myself and a friend have decided to become non-digital nomadic snowballers. We aim to rent a villa every Winter in a different destination so we aren't tied to any one country and we aren't committed to a property. Looking forward to it. We are starting next winter gently with 6 months in Gibralter. I'd write a blog about our adventures (there will be many) but I will have better things to do and that sounds a bit digital anyway. Countries can do what the hell stupid things they want to do we just won't bother going there. ????

All of which has zero to do with expats living 24/7/12 in a country. You are a snowbird, not an expat. 

Edited by mikebike
  • Thanks 1