Indonesia’s foreign retirees fear being driven out as new visa scheme targets ‘filthy rich’

webfact

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Then I guess it´s too expensive, and Thailand is not for you. No problem, just go ahead and leave it to the ones who can accept it.

Yes I/we can afford it. I also have a house in Thailand I built along with my wife's big bike that have sat in mothballs for 3 years so far. Your rather arrogant assumption is very sad indication of your character.  We did leave after 8 years in 2019 due to the uncertainty of immigration and no way was I going to leave my/our money in a Thai bank as a matter of principle and the lack of a desire to have a 800,000baht target on my back. I will never have any one telling me what to do with my money, ever! So after 3 years back in the UK we have a beautiful house, 2 cars in the drive, my wife has another big bike, our children are being well educated and lead very active social lives. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BritScot said:

Really? Leaving £20,000 in a Thai bank for the so called privilege of living in a third world country. I don't call that a Joke...

you don't have to live here

19 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No probs! Just move to Thailand. The amount they ask for here is a joke.

but many use agents to circumvent the financial requirements

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The government hopes the programme will entice billionaires and millionaires, foreign investors, Indonesians abroad, highly skilled workers and wealthy elderly foreign tourists to the country.

Like Thailand they will find the opposite will happen.

3 hours ago, BritScot said:

Yes I/we can afford it. I also have a house in Thailand I built along with my wife's big bike that have sat in mothballs for 3 years so far. Your rather arrogant assumption is very sad indication of your character.  We did leave after 8 years in 2019 due to the uncertainty of immigration and no way was I going to leave my/our money in a Thai bank as a matter of principle and the lack of a desire to have a 800,000baht target on my back. I will never have any one telling me what to do with my money, ever! So after 3 years back in the UK we have a beautiful house, 2 cars in the drive, my wife has another big bike, our children are being well educated and lead very active social lives. 

A desire to have a 800k baht target on your back??? You must trust your wife and her family a lot. ????????????

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

but many use agents to circumvent the financial requirements

Yes, I know. That´s an even bigger joke! Settling abroad, and can´t even show a requested amount of 400 or 800k baht. That´s just a big shame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

I am sure they can also lure them in with the knowledge that a bit of nookie with someone you are not married to can also land you in jail

According to my Indonesian friend only family, spouses or children can initiate a complain. The police on their own cannot. 

Just for balance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

more people are working remotely. digital nomads are on the rise. 

and because of the increase of digital nomads, maybe countries no longer need retirees as much?

What? Have you ever heard a person, an organization, company nor government that have said no to one container of money, just because the boat arrived with two?

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

more people are working remotely. digital nomads are on the rise. 

more and more countries are issuing digital nomad visas. 

and because of the increase of digital nomads, maybe countries no longer need retirees as much?

are digital nomads paying income tax or corporation tax in those countries?

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, Qatar and the Emirates, yes. Saudi, no. I have never heard of anyone going to Saudi for vacation. You would have to be utterly mindless. 

Well, we are not talking about vacays or holidays are we. Rich expats do Saudi tho. 

https://www.expatarrivals.com/middle-east/saudi-arabia/moving-saudi-arabia

Edited by mikebike

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

are digital nomads paying income tax or corporation tax in those countries?

no, i believe digital nomads are exempt from taxes.

not sure how they're crunching the numbers, but is it a coincidence that bali has just recently introduced a new digital nomad visa?

don't shoot me ... i'm only the piano player!

Edited by save the frogs
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

no, i believe digital nomads are exempt from taxes.

not sure how they're crunching the numbers, but is it a coincidence that bali has just recently introduced a new digital nomad visa?

don't shoot me ... i'm only the piano player!

then I don't see how digital nomads are preferable over expats

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

then I don't see how digital nomads are preferable over expats

i could be wrong.

but it may have to do with sheer numbers.

american digital nomads grew from 7 million in 2019 to 15 million in 2021.

so countries might be more concerned in attracting those fast growing numbers of digital nomads than retirees right now.

also, people who stay a few months might spend a lot more. and the constant turnover of short-staying digital nomads may bring in more money than long-term stayers. 

don't know. 

just found it odd that this news comes soon after a new digital nomad visa in bali.

Edited by save the frogs