Can she live in Thailand legally ?

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Kenny you do not need to set up a company to work in Thailand.  Where did you get that info.

Many expats work in thailand all you need is to be hired and have the right visa to get work permits 

Very limited work options, most jobs are reserved for Thai. Saw a Tik Tok today telling people they could come here and work as waiters etc ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

But will have to show proof of either 400k baht in the bank or at least 40k baht a month income.

Wrong.

A foreign lady married to a Thai man is not required to show 400k thb in the account.

The onus is on the Thai man.

18 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Wrong.

A foreign lady married to a Thai man is not required to show 400k thb in the account.

The onus is on the Thai man.

The Thai man has done a runner.

The post you quoted is referring to the lady applying for permission to stay based on being a mother to a Thai child.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Cheat and adultery is a national cultural pastime. 

It’s the same all over the world. The only difference here is that there are no secrets and everything is exposed and everyone in the village or community knows everything because everyone talks about every detail about everyone and everything. This is why adultery is anticipated by spouses or potential spouses, because of exposure. Westerners are good at keeping things under wraps in their home countries. 

Edited by 0james0

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

I believe, it used to be this way, the Thai husband needs to show similar amounts of money saved or earned per month as an expat would to stay in Thailand married to a Thai lady.

There are no financial requirements for the foreign wife of a Thai national to get Visa extensions. 

There is a financial requirement of 15kbht/month joint income for her to get Thai citizenship. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There are no financial requirements for the foreign wife of a Thai national to get Visa extensions. 

There is a financial requirement of 15kbht/month joint income for her to get Thai citizenship. 

I remember reading many moons ago about an English woman who had been to immigration with her Thai husband. She was explaining the requirements. It caused a bit of a stir on here as many male expats cried sexism as their Thai wives were not permitted to provide financials for their stay. I remember the figures required were similar.

It has possibly changed since that episode. I don't know. I've had a quick search but cannot find any details. Foreign women getting visaa for being married to Thai men must be few and far between. Every search I make refers only to foreign men marrying Thai women.

9 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Surely as long as she remains legally married to the Thai guy she has the right to remain in Thailand, children or not. A farang woman married to a Thai male does not have to show 400,000 Baht to stay here.

The woman was likely previously on an extension based on marriage.

For an extension based on marriage, the marriage has to be both de jure and de facto. In simple English this means they must be officially married and also in a genuine continuing relationship. Often when Thais talk about being married, this only means they are living together, and maybe went through a temple ceremony. Anyway, an extension based on marriage to a Thai is not available once they separate.

It would be worse, if they were not officially married, which I think might still be possible. The children might not then have Thai nationality, and even a family visa as the parent would be unavailable. Then, a work permit and legally working would become very difficult (even if a way could be found to stay on tourist visas).

If a family visa and work is potentially possible, the next question is what work will be available to her, and will it satisfy the financial requirements for the visa and extensions of stay. Are any of her children working adults already, and able to help? What is the relationship like with the father's other family members? Can they, for instance, provide day care while she works?

Clarification of the exact status is necessary before any kind of action plan is possible.

23 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Yeah understand and didn't even consider that. But you need a specialized field and one that meets criteria for a work permit eg English teacher. You can't just get a work permit for any employment. She may not even be a native English speaker or have the required credentials for a specialized job. Only guessing of course. Don't want to sound racist in anyway here but the only women I have known here that married a Thai and had kids, particularly 4 were certainly not Western women. Most were African, Filipino, Viet, Laos, Cambodia etc

I actually know a couple of women that have married a Thai man.  Both were teachers.  Teaching would probably be the best job for her as she possibly could teach at the same school her kids are or will be going to.

On 12/21/2022 at 5:46 PM, Kenny202 said:

Not all Thai guys are like that. I got a few mates in Bangkok now and as good blokes as you could meet. Good sense of humor, loyal friends and all have great wives that they met or new at school or uni....They got the pick of the crop.

We seem to get the rejects....aka "I want farang, Thai man no good". Usually this sort of Thai woman turns out the be exactly the same as the lazy shiftless adultering ex boyfriend / husband she described she was with before you????????

Mind you dating later in life just as bad back home. Often the husband left her (and possibly his wife left him) for good reasons / issues.   

Yea.... Didn't expect your post to get many likes by stating the facts. Most of my Thai wife's friends are exactly as you described. Met at university, both work, probably have a higher combined income than 90% of retirees in Thailand. Extremely hard working that don't usually fit the stereotypes thrown here.

On 12/21/2022 at 5:34 PM, Tropposurfer said:

I ask myself knowing the little but reality and truth of LOS what happens that a falang woman marries a Thai man and expects anything else but to be used, cheated on, and abandoned.

Same same all over LOS for either falang marrying Thais and or Thais marrying Thais. Cheat and adultery is a national cultural pastime. 

And people decry falangs as philanderer, butterfly men!.

I think you will find that it's a worldwide problem not only in Thailand. 

Unfortunately not all men are hard working, honest and faithful to their wives like all the posters on this site!!!!!!!!! 

8 hours ago, Celsius said:

Yea.... Didn't expect your post to get many likes by stating the facts. Most of my Thai wife's friends are exactly as you described. Met at university, both work, probably have a higher combined income than 90% of retirees in Thailand. Extremely hard working that don't usually fit the stereotypes thrown here.

I assume you married into an urban middle class family (what I recommend). Unfortunately, while a very unfair generalisation, among poor up country Thais, the stereotypes others rely on are not totally without foundation.