Can she live in Thailand legally ?

Farang female marries a Thai man. They have 4 children -all Thai nationals.

The husband abandons his wife and family. He leaves Thailand.

She is still under 50

Q how can she  legally live and work in Thailand?

Edited by Delight

Depends if the kids are born here or have Thai citizenship, but some sort of visa should be available. Working? I don't think so...In the same boat with the rest of us ie only way to work is create a company. Not sure where she's from or if she has any savings but I would say her best choice would be to go back home and work and possibly receive some welfare if available

Edited by Kenny202
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

OR can get extensions of stay based on retirement. For this have to show either 800K baht in the bank (with restrictions on spending it) or monthly transfers from abroad of 65k/month. Cannot work on this type of extension though.

She is under 50.

• Haha 1

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children): Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year

1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM). (2) The alien must have proof of relationship.

5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year. In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=804079

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is also some provision for being a parent supported by Thai children

I got that extension about 10 years or more ago. If I'm correct I believe they stopped it the same year in which they introduced it. No monies needed to be shown.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

Mother of 4. OMG 

Last month Phuket Immigration departed 43 y.o. mother of 3 due to some "discrepancies" with marriage visa transfer into new passport following her overstay. Husband is "Elvis's impersonator" at entertaining venues around Phuket. She is officially banned from Thailand for 1 year. 

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Depends if the kids are born here or have Thai citizenship, but some sort of visa should be available. Working? I don't think so...In the same boat with the rest of us ie only way to work is create a company. Not sure where she's from or if she has any savings but I would say her best choice would be to go back home and work and possibly receive some welfare if available

Kenny you do not need to set up a company to work in Thailand.  Where did you get that info.

Many expats work in thailand all you need is to be hired and have the right visa to get work permits 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Kenny you do not need to set up a company to work in Thailand.  Where did you get that info.

Many expats work in thailand all you need is to be hired and have the right visa to get work permits 

Yeah understand and didn't even consider that. But you need a specialized field and one that meets criteria for a work permit eg English teacher. You can't just get a work permit for any employment. She may not even be a native English speaker or have the required credentials for a specialized job. Only guessing of course. Don't want to sound racist in anyway here but the only women I have known here that married a Thai and had kids, particularly 4 were certainly not Western women. Most were African, Filipino, Viet, Laos, Cambodia etc

Edited by Kenny202

22 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Don't want to sound racist in anyway here but the only women I have known here that married a Thai and had kids, particularly 4 were certainly not Western women.

There are few british ladies I met married to Thai dudes + kids near our house at Ding Daeng. Very unfriendly, I'd say rude.
Why khun thai? No idea. Broken heart back home? Fancy needle size noodles? Some sort of escapists? Like som-tam too much? At large back home?

19 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Surely as long as she remains legally married to the Thai guy she has the right to remain in Thailand, children or not. A farang woman married to a Thai male does not have to show 400,000 Baht to stay here.

Really? What happens when a married Farang man and Thai woman separate (still married)? I thought unless the wife would assist the farang with the ruse, ie show up for extensions etc the existing marriage extension was null and void if the couple separated? Or do you only need to be still married whether living together or not?

7 hours ago, Delight said:

Farang female marries a Thai man. They have 4 children -all Thai nationals.

The husband abandons his wife and family. He leaves Thailand.

She is still under 50

Q how can she  legally live and work in Thailand?

She should have applied for Thai citizenship as soon as she gave birth to the first child. Too late now the guy has cleared off, but would have been very easy at the time. Only requirement is a joint income of 15kbht/month.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

She should have applied for Thai citizenship as soon as she gave birth to the first child. Too late now the guy has cleared off, but would have been very easy at the time. Only requirement is a joint income of 15kbht/month.

Only applies to foreign FEMALES with a Thai husband and kids? Not Farang guys with a Thai wife I assume

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Possibly you are unaware, but you can work (get a work permit) on marriage/family visa's.

I ask myself knowing the little but reality and truth of LOS what happens that a falang woman marries a Thai man and expects anything else but to be used, cheated on, and abandoned.

Same same all over LOS for either falang marrying Thais and or Thais marrying Thais. Cheat and adultery is a national cultural pastime. 

And people decry falangs as philanderer, butterfly men!.

49 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Surely as long as she remains legally married to the Thai guy she has the right to remain in Thailand, children or not. A farang woman married to a Thai male does not have to show 400,000 Baht to stay here.

I believe the Thai male has to show he can support her.

7 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I ask myself knowing the little but reality and truth of LOS what happens that a falang woman marries a Thai man and expects anything else but to be used, cheated on, and abandoned.

Same same all over LOS for either falang marrying Thais and or Thais marrying Thais. Cheat and adultery is a national cultural pastime. 

And people decry falangs as philanderer, butterfly men!.

Not all Thai guys are like that. I got a few mates in Bangkok now and as good blokes as you could meet. Good sense of humor, loyal friends and all have great wives that they met or new at school or uni....They got the pick of the crop.

We seem to get the rejects....aka "I want farang, Thai man no good". Usually this sort of Thai woman turns out the be exactly the same as the lazy shiftless adultering ex boyfriend / husband she described she was with before you????????

Mind you dating later in life just as bad back home. Often the husband left her (and possibly his wife left him) for good reasons / issues.   

23 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I believe the Thai male has to show he can support her.

If that's true. I don't think it is. Then what ceiling of money does he have to show? Farang woman living near me works as an English teacher. Her Thai husband doesn't work as far as I'm aware. She's the only bread winner.

If you are a foreign woman married to a Thai husband, you are eligible to apply for Thai citizenship within one year of being married.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

23 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

If that's true. I don't think it is. Then what ceiling of money does he have to show? Farang woman living near me works as an English teacher. Her Thai husband doesn't work as far as I'm aware. She's the only bread winner.

You have provided a link to citizenship.

The OP is asking about what visa the lady can obtain. I would guess she does not have citizenship. The lady living near to you maybe does, hence her husband does not work.

I believe, it used to be this way, the Thai husband needs to show similar amounts of money saved or earned per month as an expat would to stay in Thailand married to a Thai lady.

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

That's because it's one way for her to stay here, by applying for citizenship.

I disagree. She can only apply for citizenship with her husband's help. He's done a runner. She is trying to stay to take care of her kids.

As someone already mentioned, she should have applied for citizenship after the first 12 months.

5 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Thai husband needs to show similar amounts of money saved or earned per month as an expat would to stay in Thailand married to a Thai lady.

According to the farang woman, near me, she says she doesn't have to show income.