74 Year-Old British Man Arrested on Samui Island for 38 Days of Overstay

webfact

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Just fine them proportional to their overstay .

If they cannot pay , to the jailhouse ...

But the threat of a forced deportation is out of proportion for such a negligence .

If it goes to court a proportional fine is usually the outcome but it has to be accompanied by deportation because he has no permission to stay.  Are you advocating that overstayers are just fined and waved on their way by the judge to continue their illegal stay unbothered?  

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I had a fine in my mind, not deportation.

I have to admit I am not up to date with the current rules under which conditions people get deported.

Those who are caught, charged, found guilty and fined sure aren't offered an extension when leaving the court and there's no reason that they should be!  What other alternative could there be?

1 hour ago, BananaStrong said:

deeply concerning.   not for this bloke, though I should be if he's broke and has to go back to freezing weather....

but that 38 days is a story..........which means 1 hour might be a story.....which means the narrative of BAD BAD BAD BAD Falangs is the real story..........illegal!!!!!   

Is there even ONE Falang in Thailand legally????????????????????????????!?!?!?!?!?!??!   lol

Will I go out today and someone ask me, "Are you here illegally??!!!  Could you be arrested today?  Can I see your visa????   Did you know all these BAD BAD falangs?????"

We are in this together.  NOT, you're on your own falang.     I'm reporting everyone!!!!!  lol

What?

58 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

Do you know the difference of Immigration and Police?

Police is catching drug dealers and murderers, Immigration catching people ignoring visa rules. 

Simply as that. 

It is even simpler, IOs are RTP officers.   They have different responsibilities in the police force, though.

5 hours ago, jcmj said:

I guess no one taught them the definition of a criminal. Either that or they’re just too damn lazy to do their real jobs. I would like to think drug dealers and murderers are more important to catch, but I guess that takes work. 

Not returning home after your permission to stay in another country is criminal. Just like using another person to bribe an immigration officer to give you a permission to stay which you shouldn't have. It is a good thing that they finally do something about this. Bit pathetic to moan, there are worse crimes why don't they do anything about that. stay legal and you don't have a problem.

20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Maybe it was a Permission to Stay.   Why should he "just have have dementia"?

Because a lot of people think that foreigners are always right / if not right there must be mitigating circumstances as foreigners wouldn't do bad things, only the locals.

• Like 1

I am not a friend of the agent route. What I don't understand in his case is why he didn't go to an agent. 38 x 500 = 19.000 fine ++. I know people here in Pattaya they got miraculously a Retirement Extension. The only thing they needed was a bank account without any money on it. If I remember correctly they paid about 13.000 Baht. Or was he hiding? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

I don't like the way this is proceeding.

What's the limit?

When will they be hanging around outside immigration offices waiting to arrest people turning up to correct accidental 1 or 2 day overstays? This might sound far fetched but I absolutely believe it will happen.

Best renew/report before the expiry date then... after-all that's what it means.

9 minutes ago, grain said:

I've been in and out of Thailand since 1978, I've been on tourist visas, non-imm visas, marriage exts, retirement exts, I've had WPs, and I've entered without any kind of visa and got 30-day stamps. And in 44 years I've never overstayed a minute, not once. 

A man among men!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, grain said:

I've been in and out of Thailand since 1978, I've been on tourist visas, non-imm visas, marriage exts, retirement exts, I've had WPs, and I've entered without any kind of visa and got 30-day stamps. And in 44 years I've never overstayed a minute, not once. 

I'm sure most of us haven't.....

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why the sneering derision with the "grass up" comment, you're ok with law-breakers, are you?  Perhaps he "grassed himself up" by not having a valid visa/permission to stay in his passport that he gave to the hotel.  Perhaps his passport details were noticed by Immigration after the hotel advised them of his stay there?   

Perhaps there were personal circumstances that prevented him from extending. We don't know.

38 days isn't the end of the world, but immigration will do their job and he will be gone..

Not a nice Christmas for the old fellow, and not a good time to be sent back to the UK with all the cold weather and strikes.

Edited by phetphet
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I remember when overstaying 1 year wasn't a big deal. Pay the maximum fine at the airport, fly to Phnom Penh and back same day. All good. 

In all honesty, I think I am pleased that has changed.

Being CAUGHT on overstay always carried a high risk for as long as I can remember.

2 hours ago, grain said:

Same here in 40 years. People who do, are either dumb or don't care.

There are Rules, and if yu want to stay in a country, you should obey them. or take the consequences.  Fine him and deport him.  If he hasn't got a return ticket, keep him in jail until he gets one.  No money; tough S..t

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

38 days isn't the end of the world, but immigration will do their job and he will be gone..

And if he’d have gone to Immigration (or left the country) by his own volition, he would have just had to pay a 500b per day fine, do a border bounce & be back again.

As he was caught by immigration so he’ll be blacklisted for 5 years (penalty is the same if it’s 1 day overstay or 1 year if you’re caught).

Edited by Mike Teavee