Thai immigration on alert for foreigners staying under false pretences

webfact

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Isn't that their job to begin with? That's like telling water, "You better run downhill now!"

"had ordered 17 immigration departments and one border crossing to be on the watch out for migrants and foreigners staying in Thailand under false pretences. "

they are a type of police, so it is normal in Thailand to order the police to do the jobs they are paid for.  Short-term solution only......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

"had ordered 17 immigration departments and one border crossing to be on the watch out for migrants and foreigners staying in Thailand under false pretences. "

they are a type of police, so it is normal in Thailand to order the police to do the jobs they are paid for.  Short-term solution only......

I think you'll find the immigration police the top country police in Thailand.

"It also comes after it was discovered that potentially thousands of Chinese nationals were granted bogus student visas in a scandal rocking the IB, notes ASEAN NOW.  "

Find all the Chinese criminals and deport them and blacklist for good!

22 hours ago, webfact said:

It also comes after it was discovered that potentially thousands of Chinese nationals were granted bogus student visas in a scandal rocking the IB,

Rocking the IB?

trying to tell me they weren't aware of the loop-holes in ED-visas?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/23/2022 at 7:02 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thailand doesn't want those young people staying in Thailand for a prolonged time with no reason to be there apart from "I like it here and the weathers nice and the foods cheap and the females are easy to have sex with" .

Unless you fit onto category of visas offered , work, family or retied then you aren't welcome to stay long term 

And still make it bureaucratic as H to get extensions and stay long term.

• Like 1

ED Visa’s are an easy fix:  Randomly check if the “student” has actually learned anything.  For the Self Defense Visa a brief demonstration in front of an IO could work. The easiest thing would be determining if a “student” under a Thai Language Ed Visa has actually learned anything.  

On 12/23/2022 at 7:02 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thailand doesn't want those young people staying in Thailand for a prolonged time with no reason to be there apart from "I like it here and the weathers nice and the foods cheap and the females are easy to have sex with" .

I think a lot of people do, some just like to pretend to only want the elusive "high-quality tourist" to gain face. 

In reality, the gap-year thrill seeker's and crusty backpacker's money is as green as anyone else's.

They're renting apartments, they're buying food every day, paying those women to have sex with them, etc..  They're like a welfare stimulus cheque.

If they didn't want young people "going travelling" for a year in Thailand, they could stop it very easily.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I think a lot of people do, some just like to pretend to only want the elusive "high-quality tourist" to gain face. 

In reality, the gap-year thrill seeker's and crusty backpacker's money is as green as anyone else's.

They're renting apartments, they're buying food every day, paying those women to have sex with them, etc..  They're like a welfare stimulus cheque.

If they didn't want young people "going travelling" for a year in Thailand, they could stop it very easily.

You gotta be joking, they rent rooms for 1000 Bahts a night and eat street food for 300 Bahts a day. Thailand doesn't need them there are millions of  locals who spend that much for any of the  innumerable official Thai holidays.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Not joking at all.  Thailand of course needs as many people visiting as possible.  Money is money.  People renting out rooms for 1000 baht a day and selling street food want that extra 1000/300 baht that they get from anyone.

We saw how Thailand fared during covid, so it's ridiculous to claim otherwise.

It isn't a choice between one or the other.  The obvious preference would be to have both!

The idea that businesses would say "we don't need any foreign customers, we have enough locals visiting already" is simply farcical, as proven by covid.

I'm not sure how anyone could think that, other than bat-sh*t crazy foreigners or out of touch hisos who feel that Thailand's need for foreign tourists somehow makes Thailand look bad and therefore makes them look bad.

Errr.. What has been proven by Covid? Other that lockdowns aren't good for the economy?

Also I'd love to know the proportion of drug users amongst the begpackers? And let's not talk about prostitution.

Thailand has indeed to fix its Tourist industry. Whether Immigration can do that I don't know, as they can only control demand. There should be a lot more work on the supply side, which some powerful people wouldn't like.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Sure.  Thailand's economy was fine without foreign tourism. /s ????

That's almost true, almost. Covid killed off international tourism and other exports, if other exports would have held up to the same level as before, the 11% of GDP that is international tourism wouldn't have been that greatly missed