Bangkok world’s #1 trending destination in 2022 – Airbnb

snoop1130

50450092232_2bba928d37_o.jpg

Flickr/Roberto Trombetta

Airbnb, the online homestay booking platform says the top trending destination in the world during 2022 was Bangkok. And for 2023, it’s still doing well, at number 5 of global trending destinations.

According to searches made on the platform during the first three quarters of 2022, Bangkok was the number 1 trending destination. The list of all global trending destinations is as follows:

• Bangkok, Thailand
• Sydney, Australia
• Málaga, Spain
• Seoul, South Korea
• Melbourne, Australia
• Itapema, Brazil
• Angra dos Reis, Brazil
• Capão da Canoa, Brazil
• Auckland, New Zealand
• Brisbane, Australia

According to a Nation Thailand report, Airbnb searches for the first three quarters of 2023 also see Bangkok proving popular, with the Thai capital ranking at number 5. Málaga in Spain is currently at number 1, followed by Sydney at number 2, Melbourne at number 3, and Auckland, New Zealand, at number 4.

Meanwhile, Amanpreet Bajaj from Airbnb says the “new normal” of remote working is creating an uptick in bookings.

“In 2022, we continued to see changes in the way people live, work and travel on Airbnb. It’s clear that the newfound flexibility offered by remote and hybrid work has led to a revolution in how we travel – especially when it comes to international destinations. The re-opening of more countries this year also unlocked pent-up demand from international travellers eager to reconnect with loved ones or visit their favourite destinations once more.”

Source: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/bangkok-worlds-1-trending-destination-in-2022-airbnb/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2022-12-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

From my observations the airports over the past few months are packed and traffic is even worse then before.  Chiang Mai traffic is horrific now as is Pattaya, Bangkok and other tourist spots. Anyone who cannot see the people flooding into this place are myopic, or haters who probably are not even here.  Thailand is jam packed with many more on their way.

Totally agree.  And, we're only at around 11 million international visitors.  What's it going to be like when we get back to 20 million, or 40 million? 

30 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Although I notice a note of sarcasm? You are undoubtedly correct!

Pattaya and Jomtien are now full of Russians!????

As is Phuket. The young Russians are reluctant to say it, it's true. I was speaking with a young man last night who was planning on receiving his Doctoral in Philosophy next summer who said after a little probing, I can't serve in a war for this maniac Putin. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to searches made on the platform during the first three quarters of 2022, Bangkok was the number 1 trending destination.

Searches hey, that ain't bookings and Tickets are they .

That means Airbnb doesn't Know what's going on. they are just dreamers /wishful thinkers. 

44 minutes ago, pomchop said:

And the law is being blatantly disregarded by airbnb as well as the various online agencies that promote rentals of less than 30 days every day.  It is totally out of hand in many condos that have no hotel license but don't care and obviously airbnb doesn't care that the rentals are illegal.

It is beyond time for the laws to be enforced.  If you buy or long term lease a condo you should not have to put up with dozens of airbnb types checking in/out all hours, cramming units full of people, clogging elevators pools etc. 

The building where I live has almost become intolerable over the past few months and nobody on condo board or juristic or cops seem to care in the least.  It drives up long term rental rates as more owners are saying hell i can get $50 ++ a night why should i rent for $400 a month...  Disgusting blatant breaking of laws with no repercussions.

There are a few buildings that post big signs in lobby and elevators outlining that rentals of less than 30 days in that building are illegal and to please report any units that you observe renting short term.  Seems to solve problem very quickly.

Can't believe that the hotel biz doesn't raise holy hell having to compete with all the illegal rentals that have no hotel license, pay no taxes, and are in direct violation of the law....very easy to catch them...just go online and you can find hundreds of illegal rentals with a few mouse clicks.  Must be some big brown envelopes from condo boards, rental agents etc.

Yes, it's a big problem for some condo projects, especially many of the newer ones.  It drove us out of 2 different new condo projects where we lived.  The last condo we owned was in an older project with fewer but much larger units than typically found in the new projects.  The illegal daily renters were not much of a problem.  

Some projects are making efforts.  I recently heard that one of the big, newer projects in Pattaya--over-run with daily renters using it as a hotel--was switching to facial recognition for entry into the condo.  Done properly, something like that might help stem the problem.  

• Like 2