Semaglutide (Rybelsus) weight loss medicine available in Thailand?

AventurasEnMadrid

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It only comes as an injection (everywhere)

The primary indication for this drug is for diabetes management in patients for whom front line drugs are not sufficient.  It has recently been approved in the US for management of  obesity (BMI>30) under physician supervision, AFAIK not approved for that indication yet in Thailand.

It is available under brand names Ozempic and Rybelsus  but not over the counter. You would have to get it fro ma doctor at a hospital or clinic. One specializing in management of obesity would be more likely to give it than others.

Note that it does have some potentially serious adverse effects in some people, including pancreatitis, kidney problems etc. So there is good reason to limit its use to those under a physician's care.

I have actually sourced it from a local Pharmacist a couple of times in the not too distant past but it was rather pricey at 9k for a 4 dose pen and i had been prescribed it by my Dr in the UK 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Rybelsus is an oral medication - not injected.

It's definitely available in Thailand.  I bought some from a large international hospital in Bangkok a couple of days ago.

At the hospital concerned, Ozempic, which is injected, was not available.

FWIW, a strip of 10 Rybelsus (7mg) was 415 baht.  If you're interested in weight loss (which I'm not), this is not going to make much of an impact.  The OASIS 1 trial used a daily dose of 50 mg to produce a 17% reduction in body weight at 68 weeks.