How dangerous is it to drive in Thailand?

george

I drive a vehicle here but I rarely just jump in it  for a weekend drive, it isn't a pleasant experience in Bangkok. I just find most drivers here to be ignorant, though there are some exceptions where a courteous driver surprises me. Thais are generally nice until they jump in or on  their vehicles and want to get to B from A, then they lose all sense of decency. Still driving here is easy enough with GPS navigation, just don't drive with any expectation that Thais will drive like westerners. 

I have worked and drove in places with worse driving skills though. I found that Indonesians in the boondocks drive like maniacs, flat knacker and totally fatalistic about what might happen and Vietnam was pretty crazy in built up areas as well. 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2022 at 2:34 PM, Kwasaki said:

Driving, riding in Thailand when coming from abroad, just observe what Thais driving and riding do in road situations,  job done. No

Cut up motor motorcyclists when doing a left turn , Cross double yellow lines while overtaking , drive in the dark without lights on , speed through a traffic light turning to red, position car half in and half out of a lane , tail gate at speed , drive off a highway at very slow speed causing traffic behind to slow down and often begin the manoeuvre from the middle lane . Failing to keep the car on the left side of the road on smaller roads , Put half the car length out into a major road at a T junction .

I got what you mean , drive like the locals

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, itsari said:

Cut up motor motorcyclists when doing a left turn , Cross double yellow lines while overtaking , drive in the dark without lights on , speed through a traffic light turning to red, position car half in and half out of a lane , tail gate at speed , drive off a highway at very slow speed causing traffic behind to slow down and often begin the manoeuvre from the middle lane . Failing to keep the car on the left side of the road on smaller roads , Put half the car length out into a major road at a T junction .

You forgot, crash all red lights, also drive up the carriageway the wrong way.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, itsari said:

Well I do a lot of what you have  listed now. ????

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I've driven here every day for the past 20 years, around 300,000 miles I guess. Driving here is very dangerous but less so if you know what to expect, which is anything and everything, all the time! When you think you've seen the height of stupidity, something else comes along that beats it. You have to eliminate any thought that the other driver would never do something like that or that a particular maneuver is complete and safe, until long after it's actually been completed. Pity the poor driver from the West who has driven without an accident for two decades or more, used to be a professional driver or holds an advanced drivers license because those things don't count for much here. Driving risk here is a mindset, you can never let your guard down or think it's safe or ok, never.

Good post.  Of course it's dangerous, but some of us have to drive our kids to and from school every day.  Paying constant attention to other road users including pedestrians, is key.  And not being over-cautious.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I do a lot of what you have  listed now. ????

Only one rule, keept the traffic behind you and use any trick to stay alive, even crossing double yellow line! Speed is your friend, less exposed to danger

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2022 at 2:40 PM, tomazbodner said:

Why not show this as a proof of Thailand's roads not being particularly safe to be on...

And yes, this is part 51! There are 50 more before this one.

This is more like what I see on the roads here, and why I do not drive on them!

Edited by proton

You have to drive very defensively when in a vehicle in Thailand. If you want to not live very long jump on a Motor bike, if you do not agree go to the nearest hospital and checkout the motorcycle accidents statistics.  "Happy Travels and Be Safe!" 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Very......

TIP: If on a single carriageway always tag along behind someone......never be the lead car.

You mean, drive like a local and follow everything the car in front does? No thanks, I'd rather use independent judgement and have a clear line of sight, as far as I possibly can.  We drove down to Bangkok a couple of months ago and took a two lane interchange road that connects two motorways, the queue to get there was long and slow but only a single lane, the other lane was empty. Eventually I said, screw this and moved into the inside lane and went forward. We passed over 100 vehicles, all following each other unquestioningly, nobody was thinking, everyone was looking only at the car in front. Crazy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, proton said:

This is more like what I see on the roads here, and why I do not drive on them!

Lack proper training and awareness more like. 

I'm glad i not live in or near big busy cities.

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

You mean, drive like a local and follow everything the car in front does? No thanks, I'd rather use independent judgement and have a clear line of sight, as far as I possibly can.  We drove down to Bangkok a couple of months ago and took a two lane interchange road that connects two motorways, the queue to get there was long and slow but only a single lane, the other lane was empty. Eventually I said, screw this and moved into the inside lane and went forward. We passed over 100 vehicles, all following each other unquestioningly, nobody was thinking, everyone was looking only at the car in front. Crazy. 

Totally irrelevant.

what you need to realize is that most thai drivers/rider have no idea of the road rules, refuse to follow road signage as well as traffic lights and have no regard for anyone else but themselves, then you have the condition of the roads as well as the lack of a police presence. I drive ocassionally but usually let my wife drive as she is more aware of what thai road users are really like, when she came to Australia with me she was amazed at the difference in the road users as well as the condition of the roads, no one going through red lights, no one going the wrong way up a street/road, police on the roads in cars/bikes, lack of pot holes and uneven surfaces etc

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, seedy said:

Here almost 20 years - no accident.

Wife lived in LOS her whole life - no accident.

So your statement is divorced from reality

Still it doesn't take Thailand off the 9. Place of the most dangerous country to drive. Motorbike, the most dangerous in the world.

Reports differ from 2. Worst country overall car motorbike, to the worst for motorbikes, and another reliable source place them 9. Overall. I have been to Emirates and hear others say Indonesia and parts of russia, but no matter how you read stats, Thailand is up there among the worst! 

Driving world wide, and so far good for 38 years on motorbike and in cars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Still it doesn't take Thailand off the 9. Place of the most dangerous country to drive. Motorbike, the most dangerous in the world.

Reports differ from 2. Worst country overall car motorbike, to the worst for motorbikes, and another reliable source place them 9. Overall. I have been to Emirates and hear others say Indonesia and parts of russia, but no matter how you read stats, Thailand is up there among the worst! 

Driving world wide, and so far good for 38 years on motorbike and in cars. 

Motorbike deaths in Thailand high yes but to compare to say for example the UK is ridiculous. 

Access to motorbikes for Thai people is easy to see and notice making statistics incomparable.

9 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I found that Indonesians in the boondocks drive like maniacs,

I resemble that remark. How did you know it was me.???? Maybe it wasn't an Indonesian, just an Indonesian car.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Motorbike deaths in Thailand high yes but to compare to say for example the UK is ridiculous. 

Access to motorbikes for Thai people is easy to see and notice making statistics incomparable.

Compare to any country you like, stats do not lie! It is just comforting yourself. I drive motorbikes since I was 12, that makes 42 years now, and I should had been dead a few times,  but Ninja skills out of the blue, saved me so far. Hope it last a few years more! 

I have been doing extreme sports since I was «4» years old, so I got it, but how long does it last? One day the lucky bucket is empty! 

Edited by Hummin

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Compare to any country you like, stats do not lie! It is just comforting yourself. I drive motorbikes since I was 12, that makes 42 years now, and I should had been dead a few times,  but Ninja skills out of the blue, saved me so far. Hope it last a few years more! 

I have been doing extreme sports since I was «4» years old, so I got it, but how long does it last? One day the lucky bucket is empty! 

Comfort for me has nothing to do with it I can find lots of nice empty roads and I can distance myself from danger, what will be will be,  when my numbers up it's up.

I just use my experience and skills to stay alive, I will still say stats or no stats I still find Thailand a pleasant place to ride and safer than UK.

Ride cities here is something I do not do. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Comfort for me has nothing to do with it I can find lots of nice empty roads and I can distance myself from danger, what will be will be,  when my numbers up it's up.

I just use my experience and skills to stay alive, I will still say stats or no stats I still find Thailand a pleasant place to ride and safer than UK.

Ride cities here is something I do not do. 

Well I do often go between north, south, east and west, so transfer routes is sometimes necessary through cities and on highways. I do not find riding in Thailand safecat all, but I feel I can manage, but you know, it only takes one second off guard, and you might be trapped somehow, and as you say, when times is up, ,,,,,,,, just accept it and most importantly be aware. 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Well I do often go between north, south, east and west, so transfer routes is sometimes necessary through cities and on highways. I do not find riding in Thailand safecat all, but I feel I can manage, but you know, it only takes one second off guard, and you might be trapped somehow, and as you say, when times is up, ,,,,,,,, just accept it and most importantly be aware. 

Enjoy and stay safe when dancing with the devil. ????????????