How dangerous is it to drive in Thailand?

george

It is all relative. I would still rather drive myself than having to go on the same day and road with a Thai driver. As a passenger I would still be fked in a accident as well.

I'm more nervous with the domestic flights than going by car, even that makes no sense in stats.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You can minimize the risk by not driving on holidays

Statistically the so called 'deadly days' are actually safer than normal days, probably because they're better policed and congestion restricts speed.

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You can minimize the risk by not driving on holidays, and other crowded days or popular trafficked roads. 

I never drive after dark if I can avoid it. To many cars with bad quality  tinted windows, to many trucks, and to many intoxicated drivers as well overworked and tired from a long day working. 

Sound, practical advice thanks. I find dual carriageways which frequently go from well lit to complete darkness most disorientating. Complete disregard/oblivious regarding speed limits doesn't help either. Trucks generally very well behaved. Pick-up's the worst and, unfortunately, they always seem to be in the vast majority upon every journey.   

53 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You can minimize the risk by not driving on holidays, and other crowded days or popular trafficked roads. 

I never drive after dark if I can avoid it. To many cars with bad quality  tinted windows, to many trucks, and to many intoxicated drivers as well overworked and tired from a long day working. 

Its the drunk drivers that are a major problem, no matter how you drive or adapt they are the ones responsible for numerous deaths. Seen it so many times, even when doing the school run in the morning, swaying from side to side unable to keep a regular speed. Obviously on their way home from the full night out.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're claiming that Thai domestic flights, statistically, are more dangerous than driving...or any other countries' air accident stats?  It'll be interesting to see your stats!

Once read somewhere long ago that if you flew everyday you would go for 28,000 years without incident. Even when your number came up the odds were that you would survive. Whenever I've flown within Thailand the aircraft appeared to be clean and the crew most professional. What exactly takes place (or doesn't) regarding routine maintenance and repairs we don't see. That maybe what worries many people?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Once read somewhere long ago that if you flew everyday you would go for 28,000 years without incident. Even when your number came up the odds were that you would survive. Whenever I've flown within Thailand the aircraft appeared to be clean and the crew most professional. What exactly takes place (or doesn't) regarding routine maintenance and repairs we don't see. That maybe what worries many people?  

I look at it this way, the pilots and the crew have vested interests in the aircraft being properly maintained and their being able to go home after their flights so I'm confident that the maintenance standards are up to par.  If the flight crew, who are the ones whose faces will smash into the mountain first, are confident, so am I.

Many here will, of course, decry that just because this is Thailand and the aircraft engineers are Thai, even though they have training from the (western) aircraft manufacturers and Thailand's air accident  statistics are better than some western countries, such as the US.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its the drunk drivers that are a major problem, no matter how you drive or adapt they are the ones responsible for numerous deaths. Seen it so many times, even when doing the school run in the morning, swaying from side to side unable to keep a regular speed. Obviously on their way home from the full night out.

My Mrs and I got home from a family BBQ plus countless whisky and soda's (not for me) at 03.30am. Alarm set for 6am for her work. Navigating a roundabout whilst holding her mobile to her right ear a scooter close in front braked. I instinctively shouted 'STOP'. Screaming resulted and the mobile was flung at me. However, when I think of the way things could have turned out I don't regret reacting. My Mrs (for one) will never accept that driving, alcohol and using a mobile 'phone don't mix. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

It is a major difference when choosing lower trafficked roads outside busy holidays. Anyway my choice,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Slamming my brakes on at the yellow light, so that I don't get caught in the intersection with a red light (and have my picture taken for a ticket) -- is a real conundrum. 'Cause, there's usually someone on my bumper determined to make the light -- and if I'm not in compliance, good chance he'll drive up my tail pipe. Thus, I'll usually chance the red light cameras in this situation. Sometimes result: A ticket in the mail with a nice photo of my wife's car. Worst case:  Several nights of getting my own dinner, as wife ponders her chances of going to jail. Sigh.

You're fault buddy just adjusting to the ways Thais drivers is the only way, you yourself cannot change anything. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I always found that the best approach in Thailand is drive (car or bike) as though everyone wants to KILL YOU ! and you'll get home just fine.

When in a busy place like Pattaya or Bangkok that you dont know, park it, leave it and use Bolt/Grab etc to get around.Return to it to leave.

Works for me. Each to their own ????

So true CharlieH, everyone wants to kill you. And this is the reason I will never get on a motorbike in Thailand. I own a car in Thailand but rarely drive as it really stresses me out to the max. I often hire a driver to drive my car or take a taxi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Screaming said:

So true CharlieH, everyone wants to kill you. And this is the reason I will never get on a motorbike in Thailand. I own a car in Thailand but rarely drive as it really stresses me out to the max. I often hire a driver to drive my car or take a taxi.

Yes there are people that can drive in many countries and many people that cannot cope, so for those to make a judgement is a good thing. ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I look at it this way, the pilots and the crew have vested interests in the aircraft being properly maintained and their being able to go home after their flights so I'm confident that the maintenance standards are up to par.  If the flight crew, who are the ones whose faces will smash into the mountain first, are confident, so am I.

Many here will, of course, decry that just because this is Thailand and the aircraft engineers are Thai, even though they have training from the (western) aircraft manufacturers and Thailand's air accident  statistics are better than some western countries, such as the US.

'Many here will, of course, decry that just because this is Thailand and the aircraft engineers are Thai, even though they have training from the (western) aircraft manufacturers and Thailand's air accident  statistics are better than some western countries, such as the US.'

Wouldn't that depend on how many flights there are in USA compared to Thailand?

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

My Mrs and I got home from a family BBQ plus countless whisky and soda's (not for me) at 03.30am. Alarm set for 6am for her work. Navigating a roundabout whilst holding her mobile to her right ear a scooter close in front braked. I instinctively shouted 'STOP'. Screaming resulted and the mobile was flung at me. However, when I think of the way things could have turned out I don't regret reacting. My Mrs (for one) will never accept that driving, alcohol and using a mobile 'phone don't mix. 

Welcome to Thainess!

Suppose to have “just falangs and their wives” come for a small party ,immediate neighbors in the dog community ( moo baan ma)we reside in.

I asked the Mrs if her family was coming over ,she said no !

That was short lived . Even had a contractor come unannounced to give a quote on a fence extension to go over the wall so we dont have to see the Thai neighbors dogs and garden.

Most astonishing thing today was her giving  the young neise and nephews beer and Spy’s and then letting them use her motorbike.

Sawadee pe mai

• Like 1
  • Love It 1