Hello,

I am new here and I am from Europe.

I have a thai girlfriend which now maybe will get a baby (we will know about in a few days).

Now my question:

If she (we) will get a baby - I also need all the VISA for staying and living/working in Thailand or I am automatically a thai citizen?

Sorry for this question but I have really no clue about this topic!!

Any serious comment very welcome!

Regards

If she (we) will get a baby - I also need all the VISA for staying and living/working in Thailand or I am automatically a thai citizen?

That'd be an interesting immigration rule change! Wanna buy land? Get a baby first!

Seriously, not to sure you can get any special visa unless you are married. Better put this thread in the Visa section, you'll get better info there.

I assume your gf is about to give birth, or are you still trying? :o

The child will be a Thai citizen, NOT you.

Make sure you get your full name on the birth certificate, that will help you in the futue.

Good luck to you and the GF.

@rebirth:

:-)

So - this means:

If she will get the baby - I get easier an job and I can upgrade my VISA for staying ever in Thailand?

I understand this right?

So - this means also: I do not must marry her for staying there - right?

I can not show soooo much money (not more than 50000 US-Dollar)

@astral: We will know in a few days - maybe she is pregnant - maybe not.

Edited by hotthailove

it will make it easier with a child.

Thank you! :-)

Nice to have this!

I believe you have misunderstood what Lopburi wrote.

No having a child will not make it easier to stay or obtain a job.

Translation:

“Nein, mit einem Kind wird es nicht leichter, Arbeit zu finden.”

Whether you have a child or not makes no difference when it comes to finding employment in Thailand. Perhaps it makes it easier for you to obtain a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa category O. You have to ask the Thai consulate in your area about this.

--

Maestro

@MAESTRO:

How long is this VISA category O valid? 1 year or longer. MAYBE EVER?

Ok - so this means now:

It makes it easier to get a long-time VISA.

Thanks so far!

:-D

It'd be easier still if you were married to the baby's mother, though I appreciate it's early days in the pregnancy from your previous message. Then the baby gets dual citizenship (Thai and wherever you come from).

A single entry non-imm O will give you 90 days in Thailand. A multi-entry non-imm O will give you up to 15 months (it's valid for 12 months but you can do a visa run it on day 364 for another 90 days). Only permanent residency is 'for ever' and it's not worth considering until you've been here for a few years at least.

If you can prove funds in a Thai bank account, it will help your application for a non-imm O multi according to the agents I use in Penang. Details elsewhere in this thread.

Your baby will be a Thai citizen....

Chiangmailaw.com says that a baby born in Thailand to a Thai mother and a foreign father is not considered a Thai citizen in Thailand. The father of the baby must be a Thai citizen in order for the baby to be a Thai citizen.

Here is what it says:

"Children born in Thailand of foreign parents have a legal status all by themselves. They are not Thai citizens (even those born to a Thai mother and a foreign father are not automatically Thai citizens - only those born to Thai fathers qualify, regardless of the nationality of the mother). Children of foreign parents, even if both are just tourists, are not classified as tourists.To be considered legal residents, children also don't need a residence permit. Immigration officers say that those born in Thailand can stay indefinitely without any formalities, until they leave the country for the first time on a non-Thai passport. Those born in Thailand do not need a residence permit but must be holders of a Thai birth certificate."

http://www.chiangmailaw.com/visaresidency.htm

I think it just means you have to do a little paperwork if the Thai is the mother and not the father. It's not automatic as Lopburi said. I've had plenty of students with Thai mothers and foreign fathers that were Thai citizens.

Chiangmailaw.com says that a baby born in Thailand to a Thai mother and a foreign father is not considered a Thai citizen in Thailand. The father of the baby must be a Thai citizen in order for the baby to be a Thai citizen.

Here is what it says:

"Children born in Thailand of foreign parents have a legal status all by themselves. They are not Thai citizens (even those born to a Thai mother and a foreign father are not automatically Thai citizens - only those born to Thai fathers qualify, regardless of the nationality of the mother). Children of foreign parents, even if both are just tourists, are not classified as tourists.To be considered legal residents, children also don't need a residence permit. Immigration officers say that those born in Thailand can stay indefinitely without any formalities, until they leave the country for the first time on a non-Thai passport. Those born in Thailand do not need a residence permit but must be holders of a Thai birth certificate."

Jeez, your first post to TV... and it is complete mis-information. :o

My daughter was born in Thailand to my TG (who is now my wife). Before I was married, I applied for a US passport and a Thai passport for my daughter... both on the same day! Both were approved. So not only is my daughter a US Citizen, she is also a bonafide Thai Citizen. When my daughter reaches the age of 15 (?), my wife and I will take her to get a Thai ID card.

So: Marriage makes it easier for permanent stay.

I am right now, also if other people will say I am not right.

I know that I am right now.

So - there don`t must be a baby for my possibility to stay in TL.

Marriage is more important.

I understand now. And I am right now.

Yes. I am right.

Thanks so far for all answers!

So: Marriage makes it easier for permanent stay.

I am right now, also if other people will say I am not right.

I know that I am right now.

So - there don`t must be a baby for my possibility to stay in TL.

Marriage is more important.

I understand now. And I am right now.

Yes. I am right.

Thanks so far for all answers!

Since you don't seem to really understand english, where are you from? Maybe someone from your home country can help with the translation.

:o

hot thai love:

marriage makes it easier to get certain types of stays

it does NOT let u stay permanently.

if u have a child, u still do not get to stay permanently. u must still get visas/permits and must renew them.

u can get different types of visas and permits to stay, depending on how much money u have, or make.

but u still have to go out of country; and renew visa/permits.

i think i made it clearer?

Here is what it says:

I think you are wrong mate

My daughter ( 1/2 Australian ) got a Thai passport. It is my understanding that countries only issue passports to its citizens

Here is what it says:

:D:o:D

Ooops,

I do have two children, one boy born in 2000 and one daughter born in 2004 they are both legal thai citizens from their first breath on according to their birth certificates, passports and my certificates of paternity.

There was never any doubt that they are not thai citizens during all handlings by the authorities. They are still thai citizens anyway.

I am a german citizen by that way.

Foreign children do need a VISA after their 14th birthday before that age they travel back and forth with no further formalities. I do have a german stepdaughter as well, german passport living and visiting a school in Thailand with no problems.

The mentioned article above is to be reconsidered to my opinion, just my two cents. :D

As dicussed on other threats, having a thai child now is giving you the opportunity to apply for a NON -O- Visa with multiple entries, valid 12 month but only in conjuction with the mentioned certificate of paternity by your local domestic relations court of Thailand which means you become the legal father of a thai child according to the thai law.

The rules of a married man does not apply to the paternity anymore since 2006 November, means you will not get a residence permit on that just the NON -O- Visa.

Maybe your homecountry won't ask for the certificate of paternity, the Embassy of Thailand in Singapore and Loas Vientianne will do so for sure.

:D

@rebirth:

:-)

So - this means:

If she will get the baby - I get easier an job and I can upgrade my VISA for staying ever in Thailand?

I understand this right?

So - this means also: I do not must marry her for staying there - right?

I can not show soooo much money (not more than 50000 US-Dollar)

@astral: We will know in a few days - maybe she is pregnant - maybe not.

Uuuuummmmm, sounds like Thaksin has had a few glasses of wine, maybe a bit of 'Dutch courage' before his return?