ED Visa Holders Not Attending Classes

Immigration seem to be on red alert. Had problems entering in Phuket yesterday with a re-entry permit on an education visa. 

Taken to an office whilst the supervisor furiously checked computer records. Was told visa for university not language school. I had a letter from the school confirming me as a student which eventually seemed to alleviate their concerns. 

(I do attend classes but I suspect to obtain the initial visas the school have told immigration that students have more classes per week than they provide). 

20 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Why aren't the IO visits a "surprise" to really catch the students who aren't attending the classes?

It's because the IOs are in on the deal. Allegedly. 

Many schools offer two types of ED visa, one standard charge visa where classes are attended, the other in which (for an extra fee and a blind eye) attendance is not required except on those "special" days".   Surprise visits would defeat the object of the IOs exercise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Is this a common practice at most language schools, or just the Pattaya school area? Why aren't the IO visits a "surprise" to really catch the students who aren't attending the classes?

Some schools facilitate this; others do not. The ability of schools to accommodate students in this (and similar) manners depends on their relationship with Immigration. Most commonly, the friendly cooperation is bought in the form of cash, but may also exist entirely or partially because the school's owners can count family members among senior officials in Immigration.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 2:38 PM, Banana7 said:

this a common practice at most language schools, or just the Pattaya school area? Why aren't the IO visits a "surprise" to really catch the students who aren't attending the classes

It's alway been common. 

The language school pays immigration not to 'surprise' them. 

• Thanks 1

I've got a young couple Russian neighbour ( He's a fleeing soldier ), they are off to Hua Hin next month where they can purchase an Education Visa for 15-20,000 baht and apparently the going rate in Phuket is 50-60,000 baht........corruption corruption flourishing due to the Ukraine War.............

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

I've got a young couple Russian neighbour ( He's a fleeing soldier ), they are off to Hua Hin next month where they can purchase an Education Visa for 15-20,000 baht and apparently the going rate in Phuket is 50-60,000 baht........corruption corruption flourishing due to the Ukraine War.............

I assume the price in Hua Hin is for the initial Non Ed visa, and does not include the three no-hassle extensions. Even so, 15,000 baht is remarkably cheap. I cannot imagine it includes high quality lessons for those who actually want to learn Thai.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I cannot imagine it includes high quality lessons for those who actually want to learn Thai.

done an ED before. It depends.   worked out to like 80 baht an hour, which is amazing.   90% of the teachers are good enough (Of course I can't mention the place, well, unless I said 100%).   I had one that was absolutely amazing, one ....................., ok, and one who I liked but many others got frustrated.    A zillion years ago, I remember one class was like 15 and ended with 5.   back before any checks.  Then another went from like 6 to 3, with one person never talking, lol.   and another was at 3, but I flew back home and didn't finish it.  

high quality?  yes, you can find that.  but there's still that percentage you don't.   you will have to get used to the falangs who come in super hungover, complain a lot, act Thai, horrible at speaking, and the ones who drank the Kool-Aid.   if you are on an ED visa, especially now, you have to always hold you tongue.  Which is fine, but there were some real clowns who complained for weeks and then were never seen again.  

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I assume the price in Hua Hin is for the initial Non Ed visa, and does not include the three no-hassle extensions. Even so, 15,000 baht is remarkably cheap. I cannot imagine it includes high quality lessons for those who actually want to learn Thai.

I'm sure in this case, it's a 'I don't want to return home visa' nothing more......

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 7:23 AM, BritTim said:

However, the main reason for hordes of Russians (and shortly Chinese) doing this is that they cannot use border bounces to extend their stays within Thailand. At best, at a few crossings, they may be able to get non extendable 15-day visas on arrival.

Actually Russian citizens don't have 15 days' visas on arrival since March 2007 - instead they have visa exempt stamp for 30 days free of charge (now temporary 45 days). 

They can go to Laos to get 3 months visas (2 months+1 month extension).

The problem is it was always not easy to get this 3 months tourist visa in Russia - you have to present full payment of your stay and full payment of airtickets, proof of finances, certificate of your job - all docs translated and verified. Plus the consulate has always recommended to go on a 30 days visa exempt stamp.

So it is much easier to get ED visa or go to Laos or Malaysia for the 3 months tourist visa where no such requirements as in Russia - if you wish to stay long time in Thailand. 

Edited by Operator2002

On 1/4/2023 at 2:53 PM, CANSIAM said:

They're gonna stay in Hua Hin or come back to Phuket? Is it feasible to get ED visa from one province but actually live in another?

53 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

well i would surprised if they attend the classes. everyone including IO knows this thing is another visa abuse method. 

im pretty sure schools are working with the agency. they only care how much they pay at the end of the day. lol

I wonder if Big Joke will be looking into this, or is he only concerned about the Chinese?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In Bangkok you need to complete the language testing to extend your ED visa, is it different in Pattaya? Or is this requirement no more needed?

I remember my friend (who was learning Thai at the moment) was asked basic questions in Thai by IO (after testing on paper), luckily for him, he attends classes and can answer in Thai.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

They're gonna stay in Hua Hin or come back to Phuket? Is it feasible to get ED visa from one province but actually live in another?

Need to stay where your ed visa is issued I believe.........

On 1/4/2023 at 8:53 PM, CANSIAM said:

Phuket must be the Thai language education centre of Thailand now...

On 1/30/2023 at 3:53 PM, clearance said:

In Bangkok you need to complete the language testing to extend your ED visa, is it different in Pattaya? Or is this requirement no more needed?

I remember my friend (who was learning Thai at the moment) was asked basic questions in Thai by IO (after testing on paper), luckily for him, he attends classes and can answer in Thai.

I heard that in Pattaya language school ED visas will not be renewed or extended beyond the initial expiry date. Some students were told they have to leave at the end of their ED visa.

On 1/4/2023 at 11:23 AM, BritTim said:

It is worth mentioning that plenty of Western holders of ED visas/

The OP said ESPECIALLY Russians, so it might not be worth western bashing in this thread!!!!

I am sure if there are 87,000 Russians and 1 Westerner, the westerner is worth mentioning!!!

But the OP made it VERY clear it was ESPECIALLY Russians, and I'm in his thread.

You can start your own thread about  bad western ED holders, but let's not get distracted.

especially russians.................of course.    of course.    I need someone else to do a full investigation and get some facts!!!!!  How do we know the Russians aren't taking night classes, turning in homework, maybe private tutoring, fluent already, or maybe they aren't Russians at all???!!?!  But it's not my thread..................now I'm on the look out!!!!  

31 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I heard that in Pattaya language school ED visas will not be renewed or extended beyond the initial expiry date. Some students were told they have to leave at the end of their ED visa.

You can only stay for a total stay of one year from the day you enter the country using a non-ed visa.

You get 90 day extensions of the 90 entry from the non-ed visa,

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only stay for a total stay of one year from the day you enter the country using a non-ed visa.

You get 90 day extensions of the 90 entry from the non-ed visa,

Only applies when studying at a language school, studying at a university doesn’t have this limitation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1