Thelonious Monk: Any Thoughts?

On 1/4/2023 at 7:27 AM, save the frogs said:

very strange album cover.

Underground is the seventh studio album that Thelonious Monk recorded for Columbia Records. It features Monk on piano, Larry Gales on bass, Charlie Rouse on tenor sax, and Ben Riley on drums.[2] This is the last Monk album featuring the Thelonious Monk Quartet.[2]

Its cover image depicts Monk as a French Resistance fighter in the Second World War, an homage to longtime patroness and friend Pannonica de Koenigswarter, who had served in the resistance, and whose likeness also appears on the cover.[2] It won the Grammy Award for Best Album Cover

from Wiki

• Thanks 2

@GammaGlobulinim curious - are you a jazz fan? You mentioned to me a while ago that you dont listen or rate music that was produced under the influence of drugs. im 99% sure that jazz was drenched in heroin. Charlie Parker being a good example, Coltrane before his "religious moment" and many more.

On 1/5/2023 at 4:37 PM, nikmar said:

@GammaGlobulinim curious - are you a jazz fan? You mentioned to me a while ago that you dont listen or rate music that was produced under the influence of drugs. im 99% sure that jazz was drenched in heroin. Charlie Parker being a good example, Coltrane before his "religious moment" and many more.

Religion is the drug of the Masses, by the way. 

JS Bach's drug was getting high working tirelessly to glorify his god. 

Timothy Leary was an idiot who just got high, and so I was always leery of Leary. 

But, yes, replying to your question, I am the SUPREME FAN of Jazz Music, you will ever hope to meet.

I grew up in the Tri-state area of NYC, PHILLY, and NJ. 

From a tender age, I listened to Jazz way into the wee hours on FM radio. 

I had a dynamite FM receiver, an amazing Amp filled with vacuum tubes, and the best turntable I could afford. I had very decent speakers. 

I would binge on Jazz for six months, then take a hiatus and binge on classical, primarily chamber music, for a few months. 

In the wee hours, I'd turn off the lights and listen by the lights of my HiFi equipment. 

It was pure bliss, and no drugs. 

When I got older, around sweet sixteen, I first heard Hendrix, If Six Was 9. I And the worm turned. I began listening to WMMR when, in the early hours, they broadcast so-called underground music. 

I have listened to most of Miles Davis, and I witnessed Davis' transition in a really tough guy of Jazz, thumbing his nose at the world. 

Somebody criticized me, here, for uploading a Davis album that they thought not tough enough. 

But that's OK. 

Listening to serious music, at least for me, is difficult here in Thailand.... 

Not quiet enough in my neighborhood. Too many roosters, maybe 

Maybe I need to dig me a bunker, an underground music bunker... 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sawasdee Bee Mai said:

You agree with yourself? ????

The problem with not agreeing with oneself is that this disagreement causes what Festinger termed Cognitive Dissonance, a state which most of us find intolerable. 

Yes, I agree that Monk was/is AMAZING... 

31 minutes ago, Sawasdee Bee Mai said:

But what if one of you is wrong?

It's still OK, provided that this anxiety-producing conflict is resolved. 

Conflict resolution and resultant anxiety reduction is paramount to maintaining a beautiful mind.

One must truly believe that one's actions and beliefs are righteous. 

It's all about anxiety reduction, at all cost, whether or not one might be logical or not. 

We are not, after all, logical beings. Improvisation, by its very nature, does not progress logically. 

Angular music is not rational. 

Dig?