When an American Dies in Thailand

dddave

There was a well written topic here several years ago explaining all the funeral local options when a foreigner dies in Thailand.  Does anybody have a link to that accessible?  I've tried to find it but the search function is not very helpful.  I thought it may have been pinned somewhere.

I'm helping the family of a friend.

I do have the US Embassy page so please no links to that.

12 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Google: death in thailand site: aseannow.com

yields many, but maybe this is the one you remember?

https://aseannow.com/topic/1269058-special-feature-what-happens-when-a-foreigner-dies-in-thailand/

Thanks.  Not the one I was looking for but some helpful information buried within some ridiculous rancour.  

1 hour ago, dddave said:

I'm helping the family of a friend.

I do have the US Embassy page so please no links to that.

First DO contact the Embassy, Surely by now he will have been taken to BKK for autopsy and the family contacted by the Embassy, they should liaise between you and the family as to what they want you to do. They can send a letter giving you permission to organize things. At this stage you should have a direct e-mail or phone number from embassy. They can recommend funeral directors. If you don't use them you'll be running around from pillar to post. hospital-police-police at hospital, body sent for autopsy, to BKK police forensic, to embassy, death cert , take death cert. to the  Amphur office where he died/lived, register his death, back to BKK, release body, arrange for coffin, and transport to wherever they/you want the funeral. arrange funeral.

To save your sanity use one. 

I can thoroughly recommend Asiaone.

Authorization Form - English.pdf 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear that. 

I highly recommend the services of Dao Mercslf at Amar (formerly Allison Monkhouse). 

https://www.amarinternational.com/funeral-services.html

They will handle all paperwork with the Embassy and hospital and arrange whatever is desired, from simple no-frills cremation (with or without shipment of ashes back home) to locsl  funeral to repatriation of the body. No pressure  or up-selling reported. Can pre-pay as well which may expediate matters as there are daily  charges for storage of a body. 

There is need for the family to fill out a next of kin declaration with the Embassy. I think form may be on Embassy website. This is a pre-requidite for Embassy to authorize the hosputal to release the body.