Special Feature: What happens when a foreigner dies in Thailand???

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: Pattaya City Hospital

By Adam Judd

ONE A DAY

Editor’s note: The following is a submission by the American Legion Post TH02 in Pattaya Thailand. It focuses specifically on a US military combat veteran, however, gives a lot of insight behind the scenes into what happens in general when a foreign national passes away in Thailand. This is part one of four that we will post over the next week or so. -Adam Judd, Chief Editor, The Pattaya News English

Chapter 1

On average one US citizen passes away in Thailand. ONE a day.

This death begins a series of events that involve many different individuals from a variety of organizations. For us, that day was 25 July 2022. On that day the ONE individual who passed away was a US Navy Combat Veteran. ONE US Veteran of the hundreds that die daily.  I want to try and share our experience and involvement with this ONE US Veteran. We are members of the American Legion Post TH02 in Pattaya Thailand. 

On the 25th of July, a US Navy Combat Veteran passed away quietly in his hotel room in Pattaya. That was the day the owner and wife of the hotel discovered our Veteran association. The hotel owners start this process with a call to the local Pattaya police. 

A Pattaya police officer responded to the hotel. He immediately secured the room and called for an ambulance. The ambulance responded and transported our veteran to the nearest public hospital.  The veteran arrives at the hospital where the attending physician makes the declaration of death. 

The police officer in the meantime continues with his investigation. He searches through the personal possessions to establish an ID of the individual.  He secures the veteran’s possessions and takes them to the police station to begin his task. The room is secured and the hotel staff is instructed to keep the room locked until he releases it.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/16/special-feature-one-a-day-part-one-what-happens-when-a-foreigner-dies-in-thailand/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-08-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

I care about people I know and love dying.

Are there any facts that 1 US citizen dies everday in Thailand?

Will I read a 4 part story into how a veteran died, as told by the American Legion Post?

Absolutely not.

How I die in Isaan won't be a 4 part story, won't be hailed by the American Legion

It will be quite simple reason

Up in Smoke with Cheech and Chong in the local temple

It won't make the news

It's an example of the processes involved, the combat's veterans name isn't even mentioned. Just makes me wonder how different to other nationalities dying

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wombat said:

My take on me dieing in LOS is I become someone else's problem.

please don't take offence....

It would be good if you could get some documents prepared for those who have to dispose of your body.... all your private stuff can be sorted out later for sure. A simple Stat. Dec. from your next of kin (if you are not legally married here) will enable burial/cremation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

Gee whiz, the forums have become plagued with hissy fits between posters.  

I think it started in the cannabis forum with a couple of guys overdoing it on the  grumpy strains. Now you can smell it just about everywhere ????  

No it didn't, it started in the pub forum.

so there. :giggle:

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, tandor said:

please don't take offence....

It would be good if you could get some documents prepared for those who have to dispose of your body.... all your private stuff can be sorted out later for sure. A simple Stat. Dec. from your next of kin (if you are not legally married here) will enable burial/cremation. 

I don't have any children and I would not necessarily want my next of kin making any arrangements.

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

There's something weird about dying on foreign soil I just can't verbalize. Something not right about it.

Yet many have, either in foreign wars or while residing in a foreign country.  Best to have all of your affairs in order so you significant other and heirs have it all in writing as to your wishes and have those items registered with the courts here and back in your home country.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

It's always been like this, in the TV/AN forums. The folks that deal with Visa problems are excellent, as are several other leaders of the various sub forums, but a lot of the members are way too opinionated, and self righteous. For some reason Thailand, and knowledge of it, seems to brings out the worst in them. The modern keyboard warrior mode of many is also sadly, a contributing factor. I've found a good "rule of thumb", is to check how many posts a person has made. If it's a huge amount, (mods excepted obviously), then usually that person seems to exist purely to cause chaos on here.

I'm looking forward to seeing the replies to this, as I can guarantee I won't be able to read most of them, as they will already be on my ignore list. lol
Seriously, why spend your days being as obnoxious as you can to others, in the forums on here, or trying to wind others up? 

It's only a Forum, that's all it is.

Not to be taken to serious.

But If you ask a question you will nearly always get the answer.

• Like 2

Interesting topic and one I've been meaning to ask about myself. In my own case I live in Thailand in a de facto relationship. I'm registered with immigration at my Thai partner's address, she owns the land and house. And I made a will with Thai lawyers that covers my Thailand assets, and names my Thai partner as the sole beneficiary. Would she qualify as NOK in Thailand? And if not is there some way to legally make her my NOK (but not by marriage)? I do have some relatives in Australia but they couldn't give a rat's ass, so if/when I cash in my chips in Thailand having my Thai partner handle all the NOK duties is the best situation.

• Like 2