Live in Thailand or return to the UK? Written by an Expat who returned to the UK

webfact

Paraphrase - Man comes to Thailand, makes lots of money (so he says but hey this is ultimate Thai reinvention lie), get married, has a family, kids get to education age and he wants them UK educated, he gets bored, goes back to UK (but hints he may return to Thailand as his wife misses it).

The video of Dan's chat to camera is much more interesting and thought provoking.

'In all that time I saw so many changes to Thailand, the culture, the politics, the people, and I’ve been partly responsible for the transformation there also. It’s inevitable things change, places change.

I wonder what changes he imagines he has been responsible for in Thailand? Places change but the people and the culture far less. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did notice even after thinking heade good money, umpteen businesses later he finds himself at 60 having to worry about cost of travel back and forth to Thailand.   It's hard for many of us to know if we have enough to support our unknown life span.      Airfare or lifetime maximum miles per person may be a thing. 

• Like 1

It seemed like a credible story.  He doesn't feel rich as he pointed out with  several expenses he had to explain and contend with. Out of country tuition, frequent flight costs.  No decent man can't plan for his spouse to visit mom every so often.  Does anyone dispute things have changed for the worst since his early days what 25 years ago?  He also pointed out that his wife is on track to become a benifiting resident.   His child has a dual citizenship, language and decent education.  He also mentioned condos were not as liquid  as he expected. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

Some of you, very few, have a nice garden you can sit in at the perfect temp without bugs, barking dogs, chickens everywhere, and roosters breaking the birdsong.  Silence for all but nature is a wonderful peaceful time to sit and ponder. 

One could get the same peace and quiet garden and such by simply moving to Isaan or out of the big city.

I find it hard to believe that a guy could make enough money in Thailand to retire in the UK and by BMW and other high end cars.

Not saying he did not do it just wondering.

I wonder what business he was in that the authorities were such a problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

The weather,

Probably the one thing that resonated for me in the "story"...

The biggest surprise to me was, how much I love having four seasons

Except it would not be a surprise to me as I have always missed it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

No dilemma for me.  I may be a UK citizen, but I will never return to the UK.  Everything about the place is depressing and, to me, unacceptable. The weather, the cost of living, the expense of everything, the miserable people, the traffic jams, the terrible road and rail systems, the horrendous airports..  No thanks.  I much prefer my life in Thailand and my standard of living here. 

I would particularly agree wit your last sentence if Thailand did not have an unelected PM and a bunch of tinpot  soldiers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doctor Tom said:

Who cares, they don't trouble me at all and frankly, they are certainly no worse, and in many ways much better,  than the UK lot of self serving, arrogant, incompetent,  no hopers that run that place. 

I honestly believe that if there had been a properly elected government since 2014 right up until now, the GBP would at least be about 50 Baht to the pound today, much the same as it was when the unelected PM stole the country.

• Like 2