Converting UK to Thai Driving Licence

Hi guys. I have a driving licence question if I may. I have a UK driving licence and IDP and want to convert to a Thai driving licence. I also have in hand a certificate of residence from my Embassy. The problem for me is the availability of appointments at DLT Chatujak and I am short of time to do this before I leave Thailand again. I read somewhere before (but cannot now find) a suggestion to apply at DLT in another province. If anyone has done this I'd appreciate some first hand experience. I can only think that my address being in BKK might cause a problem. Many thanks...

IF the DLT office at Chatuchak is too busy, try going to the one next to Sukhumvit 99 (DLT Area 3)....

You may well need an appointment there too...  But, it may be worth rocking up and telling then you need to get this done before you travel.

Alternatively, IF you are travelling soon, then you don’t need the licence - book an appointment for your return. 

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You may well need an appointment there too...  But, it may be worth rocking up

All those "rocking up" immediately get put to the back of the queue for the benefit of normal applicants who just "go" there.

I'm not going to dig them out....   But, there have been reports (this year) of guys turning up and getting their licence formalities completed...  perhaps this is no longer possible, but its Thailand, things like this are often down to the individual officer on the day and even what mood they are in... 

Its worth a try and if its ‘important enough’ then getting put to the back of that days queue is still a bonus. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not going to dig them out....   But, there have been reports (this year) of guys turning up and getting their licence formalities completed...  perhaps this is no longer possible, but its Thailand, things like this are often down to the individual officer on the day and even what mood they are in... 

Its worth a try and if its ‘important enough’ then getting put to the back of that days queue is still a bonus. 

555!  You missed my subtle humour.   Do people still "rock up" to anywhere?

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF the DLT office at Chatuchak is too busy, try going to the one next to Sukhumvit 99 (DLT Area 3)....

You may well need an appointment there too...  But, it may be worth rocking up and telling then you need to get this done before you travel.

Alternatively, IF you are travelling soon, then you don’t need the licence - book an appointment for your return. 

Thanks Richard.  I may try Bang Chak as you suggest.  My first port of call when I arrive in April.

However, there's always a Catch(22).  I am a frequent visitor (TE like yourself) to Thailand but with other commitments I have difficulty in achieving the 90 day report needed in BKK to get the residency certificate.  I have a UK Embassy issued certificate from November last year (valid for one year) but they have since stopped providing this service.  Hence my urgency.  Last November I contacted two of the oft quoted motorcycle shops that help foreigners apply for driving licences.  Firstly they only use Chatujak.  Secondly they need at least 4-5 weeks to complete the process (which I couldn't do last visit) and thirdly they claim that appointment booking cannot be made in advance of the rolling one-month windows that are made available by DLT and lastly I have to be present at DLT to make the booking.

Hence my search for a viable alternative to BKK as a Plan B

Rock on!!! 

While I can’t comment on Bangkok DLT offices certainly here in Isaan many offices do not have queue systems, most will allow just turning up as well if there is a queue, but you will almost certainly need to watch the video on line and printout the certificate if you want smooth sailing.

Also you can go to any DLT office, though smaller ones may refuse(too difficult), giving you an opportunity to travel to more places in Thailand, a Thai speaker may be required in some.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 3:55 PM, DodgerRodger said:

Thanks Richard.  I may try Bang Chak as you suggest.  My first port of call when I arrive in April.

However, there's always a Catch(22).  I am a frequent visitor (TE like yourself) to Thailand but with other commitments I have difficulty in achieving the 90 day report needed in BKK to get the residency certificate.  I have a UK Embassy issued certificate from November last year (valid for one year) but they have since stopped providing this service.  Hence my urgency.  Last November I contacted two of the oft quoted motorcycle shops that help foreigners apply for driving licences.  Firstly they only use Chatujak.  Secondly they need at least 4-5 weeks to complete the process (which I couldn't do last visit) and thirdly they claim that appointment booking cannot be made in advance of the rolling one-month windows that are made available by DLT and lastly I have to be present at DLT to make the booking.

Hence my search for a viable alternative to BKK as a Plan B

Rock on!!! 

I  received my 2 year license at Bang Chak Sep last year you needed an appointment i had to wait 2 months, they would only accept a residence certificate that was a max of 1 month old, same with the medical certificate, one thing they did or at least say they did was check that my address was within their area,  I had an IDP so did not need to do the online exam, though things seem to change daily you could try one of the agencies on face book that offer the service

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

While I can’t comment on Bangkok DLT offices certainly here in Isaan many offices do not have queue systems, most will allow just turning up as well if there is a queue, but you will almost certainly need to watch the video on line and printout the certificate if you want smooth sailing.

Also you can go to any DLT office, though smaller ones may refuse(too difficult), giving you an opportunity to travel to more places in Thailand, a Thai speaker may be required in some.

Thanks, that's really good to hear as I'll be travelling to Isaan soon.  Hopefully can get processed there.  I've done the online video and have the certificate which is valid for 6 months.

45 minutes ago, howerde said:

I  received my 2 year license at Bang Chak Sep last year you needed an appointment i had to wait 2 months, they would only accept a residence certificate that was a max of 1 month old, same with the medical certificate, one thing they did or at least say they did was check that my address was within their area,  I had an IDP so did not need to do the online exam, though things seem to change daily you could try one of the agencies on face book that offer the service

Yes, I heard about Bang Chak only accepting applications for their area (how that is defined I have no idea) but the 2-month wait is way to long for me.  The validity of the residence certificate seems to be a problem if the local office state one month when the DLT website says one year.  Thailand never ceases to amaze...

On 1/9/2023 at 10:17 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

555!  You missed my subtle humour.   Do people still "rock up" to anywhere?

ah.. well, there’s is that... I overlooked the idea that you had humour !!!  

I either rock-up, waltz up or swoon....   its very situational... 

... often turns into more of a stumble and sometimes combined with a hiccup and a dribble... 

Just now, DodgerRodger said:

Yes, I heard about Bang Chak only accepting applications for their area (how that is defined I have no idea) but the 2-month wait is way to long for me.  The validity of the residence certificate seems to be a problem if the local office state one month when the DLT website says one year.  Thailand never ceases to amaze...

Nothing is consistent, you could go and see, in Thailand the rules can bend/change day to day person to person, sometimes you get the right person

• Thumbs Up 1