How to fix a sink drain pipe in bathroom?

AndyAndyAndy

Small pipe going into big pipe.

1.png.cfb8ec54165904f7495570d1059212ab.png

No problem when you fully open water (fig1). Problem is at the end (fig2).

3.png.30406e28be542c21b7400d93e743b839.png

This is what I have at hand right now. I think it's a quiet big hole to use silicone. And foam will probably deteriorate quick quickly when in contact with water. I spent a quiet a lot of money on this bathroom to just somehow hack it. Best way to fix it?

2.png.e1dd1cb5c93016c836cda52c3c76c5e4.png

In USA we would glue on a threaded fitting to that wall stub.  It normally gluesvon the outside.  Then use the slip nuts to tighten the tapered seals between fittings.  They make thicker seals to reduce from 1 1/2" to 1 1/4".  Hand righren and they don't leak if the pipes are lined up by rotating the p trap. 

Screenshot_20230109_191953_DuckDuckGo.jpg

18 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Thanks, I didn't know this exists!

At home depots and DIY shops they sell flexible pipes with such rubber seals. Dirt cheap.

We have three of those and keeps dry.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 minutes ago, Elkski said:

In USA we would glue on a threaded fitting to that wall stub.  It normally gluesvon the outside.  Then use the slip nuts to tighten the tapered seals between fittings.  They make thicker seals to reduce from 1 1/2" to 1 1/4".  Hand righren and they don't leak if the pipes are lined up by rotating the p trap. 

Screenshot_20230109_191953_DuckDuckGo.jpg

But this is not the USA and bottle traps are the norm here.

image.jpeg.c5275dd8c129e4af35a5a65a5d18869c.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

At home depots and DIY shops they sell flexible pipes with such rubber seals. Dirt cheap.

We have three of those and keeps dry.

But pretty they are not (not normally used in a bathroom).  But agree they do the job.  Suspect if you fill the pipe cover with silicone (or even waterproof white cement) before placing on wall the water would be blocked from return to room.

• Like 1

Andy, coincidentally I have been having the same trouble, but until I saw your self-created little diagrams I didn't know what was going on. Now I get it. I can see what's happening, so thanks for that!

Personally, as someone else also suggested, I think that silicone would do the job, if done correctly. And not necessarily be a 'hack' job. First, I'd dry it all out, then squeeze plenty around the bluepipe/metalpipe area just inside the hole. Trim off flush with wall rim, maybe let it dry a bit, then pack the inner rim of that metal collar thing and push it snugly against the wall. Let dry. I'm betting it'll do the job. 

AND...if silicone doesn't work, it can just be removed easily and go to plan B. No harm done. (But I reckon it WILL work!)

• Like 1