How to unlock your creativity – even if you see yourself as a conventional thinker

ozimoron

Do you think that creativity is an innate gift?

In research that I recently published with organization and management scholars Chris Bauman and Maia Young, we found that simply reinterpreting a frustrating situation can enhance the creativity of conventional thinkers.

And if you’re angry that someone seemed unnecessarily combative in a conversation, you might reevaluate the situation, coming to view the behavior as unintentional rather than malicious.

https://theconversation.com/how-to-unlock-your-creativity-even-if-you-see-yourself-as-a-conventional-thinker-196198

A not unusual result when coming into contact with those who have been educated to question a hypothesis put forward by using the “Socratic Method”. Some would see it as argumentative while others understood it was questioning/testing the various ideas put forward in discussion. My thought was always that one does not sharpen an axe or knife on a sponge. It is through the give and take in Academic argumentation that we hope to gain some understanding of a given issue. I note this appears sadly lacking in today’s political culture.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

A not unusual result when coming into contact with those who have been educated to question a hypothesis put forward by using the “Socratic Method”. Some would see it as argumentative while others understood it was questioning/testing the various ideas put forward in discussion. My thought was always that one does not sharpen an axe or knife on a sponge. It is through the give and take in Academic argumentation that we hope to gain some understanding of a given issue. I note this appears sadly lacking in today’s political culture.

Crucial, though is considering both sides of the argument. Not just dismissing one side under a pretext without critical thought. Having a preconceived belief that one side is inherently flawed is to fail. The flaws in each argument need to be explained.

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Crucial, though is considering both sides of the argument. Not just dismissing one side under a pretext without critical thought. Having a preconceived belief that one side is inherently flawed is to fail. The flaws in each argument need to be explained.

Yes, and non-creditable arguments dismissed. Not all sides/arguments are equal … “the election was stolen” comes to mind in the U.S. and Brazil. Not all “sides” need to be given equal consideration.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Yes, and non-creditable arguments dismissed. Not all sides/arguments are equal … “the election was stolen” comes to mind in the U.S. and Brazil. Not all “sides” need to be given equal consideration.

Not all opinions are equal while proven facts should be weighted highly.

3 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Yes, proven facts from creditable sources. Unfortunately, we seem to have substantial false claims of proven facts.

Well I would maintain that they aren't proven, just claimed. If a fact can be truly proved as a fact then I don't care where it comes from. The issue with non credible sources is that the facts are often claimed and rarely, if ever, proved. That is why the source gets a reputation for not being credible. Their "facts" are normally nothing more than conspiracy theories. Credible sources are credible because they normally go to some lengths to establish that their facts have been proved.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, frantick said:

So I open this thread thinking, wow, I can learn to be more creative. Instead of covering guitar greats, I can create my own melodies. 

Then it devolves back to politics, like everything else. 

FML

Creativity often comes out of necessity.

If we rely on others too much we become clones of their habits and thinking.

Some education will help people and some education will keep people

down.

When you are on your own and no one can help you that is when it starts.

You mention guitar playing,i just got my first guitar and all i learned

so far is a few cords but i do not really know what to do with it.

So i just play with the strings and then i hear some notes that remind me

of a song i know.

I keep plucking away and come up with new melodies.

I am too old to ever learn to play the guitar really well but i don't care.

I should have started years ago but i was not able to and not in the right frame of mind.

• Like 1